A Matter of Life and Death: A sigh of relief

They've alwys been rather anti-war. I mean (and I'm gonna sound like David St. Hubbins now), they never actually say it. Songs like The Trooper merely tell a story, but it has a tone that implies that his death was for shit ("and as I lay forgotten and alone..."). Bruce made their stance (or at least his) pretty clear on the Live at Donnington CD: "This one... this is... this is quite sad. This is for all the people (unintelligible due to me being a yank and him a brit: who are out there???)This is a song off the new album. It was written about the people that fought in the Gulf War. It's a song about how shitty war is and how shitty war is that it's started by politicians and it has to be finished by ordinary people that don't really want to kill anybody. This song is called Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Thank you." And Paschendale was pretty clear.

Perhaps it's confusing to have songs in their repertoire that seem, on the surface, to glorify combat. But I think they've always had a bit of an anti-war stance. The new album is a response to troubled times, with a nostalgic look at instances when war seemed to perhaps make some semblance of sense.

soundave said:
NP: The Legacy:headbang:

So, after many listens, I will say that this feels like a concept album, in terms of it sustaining a mood throughout. With the right mindset, it's a great experience. However, if you're looking for the catchy songs along the lines of anything off of, say, Powerslave, you will be very sad.

My take on Maiden fans is that there are certain camps:

1.) Fanboys who like everything with Eddie emblazoned on the cover.

2.) Old Schoolers who lament that Paul DiAnno left (even though he couldn't handle it) and never bought into the theatricality that Bruce brought.

3.) Blayze fans who apparently have tin ears. I'm continually amazed such people exist!

4.) People who prefer their Maiden to be short and sweet a la Piece of Mind and Powerslave classics like The Trooper, Flight of Icarus, 2 Minutes to Midnight, and Aces High. These folks have been more and more disenchanted with Maiden over the years.

5.) People who have always looked forward to the "epics". Phantom of the Opera, Hallowed Be Thy Name, To Tame a Land, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Alexander the Great (notice a trend? All album closers...)

And people bridge camps as well, like myself.

I've always thought that Somewhere in Time marked a new phase in Maiden. Obviously, the production is entirely different, and it introduced synths. I remember being kind of pissed about it, but now it's one of my favorites. It saw them looking in a new direction that was continued with 7th Son (which I also didn't much like at first, but now love). Then, I feel like they sort of began to lose their way... Adrian leaving was huge. And of course Blayze was just not good. The songs may be okay, but he was simply bad. BNW put them back on course with a new sound. DOD, imo, has a couple of skip tracks on it, but also has a few really strong tracks.

Basically, AMOLAD sounds a lot like SiT and SSOASS. And those albums seriously polarized the Maiden fanbase, particularly in the States, where we are notoriously impatient. So I'm not surprised that some reviewers are responding in the fashion that many did to SiT and SSOASS. I know a number of Maiden diehards that think SSOASS is their best. But I guess it depends on your taste and what camp you fall into.

My complaints of AMOLAD are along the lines of what I've been hearing:

1. The album seems to be at one tempo. Plodding. Which is okay, but variation would have been nice. I do like to see them rip off furious songs now and then.

2. I am tired of the extended, slow, clean intros. Every now and then is okay, but seriously, by my count, 7 of the 10 songs start that way or close to it. Kevin Shirley should have perhaps mentioned this and encoraged them to stretch themselves a bit more.

3. The guitars could be louder. For a three guitar attack, it's strangely hollow. It seems like the guitars exist only on the far outer edges of the listening field. Too wide.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with album upon further listens. I'm of the camp that's pretty psyched that they're making new music that I want to listen to. I can't say that about a lot of the bands I loved as a kid (namely Van Halen and Metallica).

Looking forward to the live show! (Especially since I'm gonna miss Opeth when they swing by Boston on Gigantour...)

excellent post. im from camp 5, i guess that means from what you've said id really enjoy the new album? I haven't bothered to buy any of them since 7th Son. Im interested in the harmonies they play with 3 guitarists, does it make a whole lot of difference (despite the "hollowness" you picked up on)?
My fav is powerslave by a whisker...but its not because of the openers, more to do with Rime and the title track...and steve harris' wonderful bass work...simply breathtaking. Their first is probably my second fav. SIT holds a special place in my heart simply because it was the first metal album i actually bought.

If i were to make a compilation of IM tracks (bearing in mind i have little or no knowlege of their work past 7th Son) i would choose:

Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Phantom
Wrathchild
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Run To The Hills
Hallowed By Thy Name
Still Life
Flight of the Icarus
Trooper
Powerslave
2 mins 2 midnight
Rime
Stranger In a Strange Land
Alexander the Great
7th Son
Clairvoyant

no Beast...ive heard it too many times ;)

I think the album is goddamned amazing!! I've not stopped playing it since I picked it up Tuesday. And that NEVER happens with me anymore.

There really is a freshness to the record that catapults it to the top. And, I really do love DOD, but I think this edges it out (although DOD had much more variety).

All in all, a fantastic release.:kickass:

just for the hell of it, by ten fav Maiden tracks (not including the awesome new record...it's still too soon to judge them):

Phantom (still get shivers listening to this one)
Purgatory (amazing, underrated track)
Nomad (see note above)
Face In the Sand
To Tame A Land
Trooper
Hallowed
Caught Somewhere...
Infinite Dreams
Revelations

damn, it's hard choosing only ten fav Maiden tunes!

Mr. Josey Wales said:
can we all agree that Killers and # of the beast are the top 2 maiden albums?
nope sorry :D

top10 maiden tracks for me, in chronological order:

phantom of the opera
murders in the rue morgue
hallowed be thy name
where eagles dare
powerslave
sea of madness
moonchild and infinite dreams (although i enjoy 7th son much better as a collection of songs rather than the songs by themselves)
afraid to shoot strangers
sign of the cross
brighter than a thousand suns

Maiden opens at #9 on the billboard 200 in the US.

Quite impressive. Maybe Ozzfest helped reintroduce them to the masses.

I'm also enjoying the new material.

opeth8 said:
Maiden opens at #9 on the billboard 200 in the US.

Quite impressive. Maybe Ozzfest helped reintroduce them to the masses.

I'm also enjoying the new material.

Whoa! I actually had to verify this for myself, I found it so hard to believe. Not only is it true, but it's also the highest in the charts Maiden have EVER been. Next closest are FOTD and SSOASS at #12. Up the Irons!

prowlergrig said:
yea it's pretty cool, but it's also a reflection of how trendy maiden are, especially in some parts of the world.
a maiden tshirt is a fashion accessory nowadays :erk:

Well, the part of the world you'd have to be talking about is the US.

From Wikipedia Billboard Charts entry: "The Billboard 200 is a listing of the 200 highest selling music albums in the United States, published weekly in Billboard magazine. It is frequently used to convey the popularity of an artist or groups of artists. Often, a musical group will be remembered by its "number ones", those of their albums that outsold all others during at least one week. The chart was first known as Top Pop Albums from the mid-1950s until 1983 when it changed its name to the Billboard 200."

So, is Maiden more popular in the States than ever? Weird. I thought Powerslave was the height of US popularity (thus the Long Beach Arena shows of Live After Death).