Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

got the new album on pre-order and looking forward to it

never bother putting maiden albums in my order preference cos i'm a fan of all of them (x factor is a great dark album, let down by poor production)

with the opinions on the different singers coming up i have to state that i struggle to listen to bruce's rendition of lord of the flies (as done on the last maiden tour). 1st time at a maiden show i've been unsure of what a song is until 30secs in due to the key change

blaze's afraid to shoot strangers is masterful and his solo albums are easily recommended

cavegirl said:
oh my god, dont slag off blaze, his voice gave me my first orgasm!

Behold! The POWER of the Blaze vocals! :lol:

Dan W said:
Lord of the flies (as done on the last maiden tour)
blaze's afraid to shoot strangers is masterful and his solo albums are easily recommended

Again that is a great example of what Blaze can do better than Bruce. However, Bruce's Clansman does rock the balls offa Blaze's :D

Tonberry said:
Again that is a great example of what Blaze can do better than Bruce. However, Bruce's Clansman does rock the balls offa Blaze's :D

Ahhh some balence has come back into this Blazefest! I think there is an equal amount of praise for both Brucey and Blazey.

Bruce has been with Maiden for 16 odd years and Blaze has only been around for about 3. So if you like Iron Maiden for Blaze's sound then you're forgetting the majority of Iron Maiden's illustrious 3 decade spanning sound!

Anyway, enough said. Back on topic...

Wolfsbane ftw!! Blaze was fantastic with them, it's kinda a shame he ditched them for maiden which split them up, but then of course BLAZE wouldn't have happened probably and the blazey maiden albums wouldn't have happened which have some great songs on them and maybe maiden woulda found someone better suited than blaze and hence not let bruce back :lol:

Though i do wonder whether bruce said he wanted a break from maiden for his solo career but the rest of the band didnt want a break, and so they decided to take on a part time singer, and chose blaze because he wouldnt really fit in or was different so they could justify taking bruce back....

z0mg c0nspiracy!!

My copy has been dispatched today...looking forward to hearing it whenever it arrives!

I've heard some of the tracks.

Don't like them. Uninspired, samely, like the songs all rolled off the maiden factory production line. The production is the worst since Virtual XI - it just sounds miserable, like you're alone in a pitch black universe or something - that's the impression I get.

Steve needs to get over himself and get a proper bass sound too. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK.

What baffles me are the hordes of people who like it, and what's more, the army of "it's better than Beast/Seventh" reviews in magazines - if the rest of the tracks are anything like those I've heard, then it's the worst Maiden album ever.

So there. :p

Oh, and while I'm at it, Blaze Clansman > Bruce Clansman. And Blaze's Lord of the Flies > Bruce's "Let's just get this out of the way and get onto my stuff" Lord of the FLies.

Power_Metal_Dom said:
Wow I don't think I've met a Maiden "fan" so diametrically opposed to the vast majority.

Don't get me wrong, I love most Maiden. I think it's the way I was raised metal-wise: My Maiden was a strict diet of Beast, Seventh, Time, Slave interspersed with the rest up to that point, before moving onto the Blaze Albums, which I found different but (production aside) certain not bad at all.

Brave New World irked me a little, but I grew to like it despite it being rather stale. Dance of Death grew on me brilliantly, but didn't have that classic factor. Life and Death is ten steps back from the rejuvenation DoD gave to the band.

Likewise, Blaze's first two albums and Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are four of my faves.

Paul can get tae fuck though.

I'll be honest, I thought it had its share of below-par tracks, though it also had some first-class ones, and even some growers like Devil on a Hog, which took some time but ended up being aces. A real mixed bag, that album.

Robbie Nekoda said:
Don't get me wrong, I love most Maiden. I think it's the way I was raised metal-wise: My Maiden was a strict diet of Beast, Seventh, Time, Slave interspersed with the rest up to that point, before moving onto the Blaze Albums, which I found different but (production aside) certain not bad at all.

Brave New World irked me a little, but I grew to like it despite it being rather stale. Dance of Death grew on me brilliantly, but didn't have that classic factor. Life and Death is ten steps back from the rejuvenation DoD gave to the band.

Likewise, Blaze's first two albums and Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are four of my faves.

Paul can get tae fuck though.

Fair enough. A well formed opinion. I don't happen to agree :lol: but no complaints with that reply.

:) Good manlad!

Opinions are like arseholes - they write for Kerrang. ;) I mean...are wonderful things. Opinions, not arseholes. Or Kerrang. :zombie:

Hav'nt read much of this thread to be fair, but I did see such titles as "Accident of Birth" and "Tyranny of Souls" mentioned..

It's no secret that Bruce has a lot more freedom on his solo albums, and I think he really flurishes.. Maiden are my favourite band, I love absolutely everything about them, they've never faulted me, but Bruce's solo stuff.. Is just excellent.. There's a lot more emotion, a lot more I can relate to.. I love Accident of Birth, it's my favourite of his solo albums, Omega, Arc of Space, The Magician.. Amazing tracks! Tyranny of Souls.. More of the same really IMO, I love Kill Devil Hill, Navigate the Seas of the sun, and all the other songs on the album! His solo carrer rules..

Maiden's recent stuff has been fantastic in my opinion, no matter what people say.. I don't like the Blaze stuff, good songs, just a pity Blaze sang them... A matter of Life and Death is a classic, very different album, but it still has everything I love Maiden for - Great songs, great attitude, great choruses, great harmonys, great solos.. And the DVD rules!

Reading stuff like this ^ makes me want to give Bruce's solo stuff a second chance....hmm.

And I completely agree with what you say about Blaze. In fact the only thing I don't agree with is when you say the latest one is a classic.

I'll quote my mini review...

Power_Metal_Dom said:
It's not a classic, but it's the best album they've had since Fear of the Dark in my opinion