Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

Rory said:
I don't like the Blaze stuff, good songs, just a pity Blaze sang them...

That really isn't fair. Just listen to the Tenth Dimension album, especially songs like Stealing Time.

I think the new album is very good, and whatever you say about it, better or worse than Seventh Son, Powerslave etc., Iron maiden are certainly cranking out some cracking material for the old buggers they are, with a live show just as phenomenal to boot. I'm just glad they didn't ever give up. :kickass:

And I can't wait to hear 'Focus Pocus' either, I LOVE that song:rolleyes:

All I can say is this will be interesting live. The Dance of Death theatrics were awesome especially in Paschendale and Dance of Death hopefully there will be a lot more of that although there seems to be the belting choruses you get in Run to the Hills and Number of The Beast that Bruce always gets everyone to join in on. Hopefully we'll be getting a large dosage of some of the old stuff and Fear of The Dark reappears on the set list :)

nediamnori said:
All I can say is this will be interesting live. The Dance of Death theatrics were awesome especially in Paschendale

To be brutally honest, I though all that theatrics on the DoD tour didn't fit maiden at all. For me, maiden is about Bruce jumping around the stage, screaming at the crowd, and speedy heavy songs you want to sing along to. Maiden need to veer back towards stomping ass with the best heavy metal songs on the face of the earth, rather than piss about wearing renaissance masks.

Just my 2 pennies ;p

Yea I love that too...But I was impressed with how they did Pachendale (I really liked that song too.)
I guess at least we're gauranteed a giant Eddie from somewhere... wonder if he's grown this year?! I have to admit out of the 3 times I've seen them the best was the 'Give Me Ed..' tour at Donnington Park the set was awesome and Bruce was jumping around like anything :)
The one definite thing is that I'm not impressed with their choice in supports :(

Maiden live will always be a spectacle to behold so I'm not too worried about that quality of the giant Eddies or what Bruce is getting up to...solong as there is some crowd involved ass-stomping for "Brighter" and "The Pilgrim" and of course..."Breeg"

You know, after all the hype and expectation, I can safely say that this is even better than I thought it would be. I'm a fan of both progressive, and more straight forward maiden. This has exactly the right mix of the two. Roll on December!

Exactly what I was saying before:

"The fact is that I was scared that Maiden would go too proggy and loose the catchy, headbanging melodies in the depths of a 8 minute long saga. With A Matter of Life and Death I think they have successfully blended the two. I'm really pleased with the way this album falls into place. There's something for everyone but not in a way that compromises the trademark Maiden sound."

It's a great return to form - not up there with Powerslave, Piece of Mind etc. but definitely brings a smile to my face. I've been whistling riffs from it whilst shopping in Tesco so that must be a good sign..... ;-)

Not sure of a favourite track yet - maybe I should have another listen..... ;-)

The Pilgrim would make a good set opener - I still think that "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" is my favourite at the moment tho..... :headbang: