Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

I was very eager to hear this after glowing press reviews, but was sad to find it didn't live up to the hype. Certain press reviews painted a picture of a 'progressive' Iron Maiden (no doubt deduced from the longer running times of several of the songs,) but this turned out to be an ill-informed application of the term progressive. I find it particularly annoying when Maiden set a great upbeat tempo and ruin it with a dreary half-time chorus, a 'device' employed to tasteless effect in 'These Colours Don't Run'.

The album was quite a disappointment to me.. Still, it is a grower, so I started liking it more after giving it a couple of listens. It still remains one of the weakest Maiden efforts however (imho :) )

There is one track here, however that saves it from being dismissed by me completely. For the Greater Good of God, is definetly one of the best songs Maiden have ever done.

I think noticed a pattern emerging here :) DoD had Paschendale and Journeyman as two great tracks, the rest being much weaker, while AMOLAD has For the Greater Good of God and The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg.
For a band like Maiden 2 great tracks per album is just not enogh though.. :(

1) I believe that when a band gets past a certain age of existance, that the majority of their fans are already around, and compared to newer bands, their fanbase is pretty set. What I'm getting at, is that if you are still a Maiden fan after all these years, you're likely to stick with them...and they're less likely to pick up new fans, than the new bands. I say this because I believe that a band such as Maiden, needs to be reviewed by someone who is a REAL fan of the band...not someone who just likes 4 songs off of each album. They need to be reviewed by someone who really GETS them. The fans who are still with Maiden, and interested in their new stuf....they KNOW who Maiden is...and they need someone who GETS Maiden like they do...to give a fair review of the CD...not someone who has NEVER liked them enough to enjoy barely half of their material. It's not a fair thing for someone like that, to review a band that has 14 studio albums under their belt. They deserve more respect, and someone who understand the band like it's fans do.

2) I'm a fan of Maiden's earlier genius...and have been since 1983. I love AMOLAD, and not because I don't know better...but because it strikes something within me. Dislike the album all you want....give it a poor review all you want, but don't you dare assume you know how fans like me will react to the album. It made the American top 10 (#9), which is a first ever for Maiden...and stayed in the top 200 for longer than I've ever seen a Maiden album...and so it has staying power. Their short tour of the USA was sold out in almost every venue. I was AT 4 of those shows, and they were incredible. I was a LITTLE concerned about the crowd reaction to playing the new album all the way through, but it went over VERY well. Sure, they didn't go nuts like hearing classic material, but that's to be expected. The crowd was still into it, and the energy I felt down in the GA pits, was incredible as always.

3) You say Maiden is a band that should stick to playing their old material live. I'm not sure what this has to do with a review of the new album...speaking to a lack of professionalism, by the reviewer...but you seem to forget that the classics we love today, were once the "new" songs....and there's only one way for them to become a classic....PLAY THEM LIVE. I give, for example....Fear Of The Dark. Now, at THAT point in Maidens career, they had 8 albums behind them, and they already had more albums than some bands that play for decades on just their classics. Imagine Maiden stopped playing new material back then, and didn't play the song FOTD. We would have been without one of the greatest live songs any band has ever played. Let's not forget that The Wicker Man from Brave New World is already becoming a classic, and Paschendale from Dance Of Death was PHENOMINAL on the DOD tour, and the crowd reaction to it was insane!

I won't even properly respond to the recommendation that people try out Raising Hell instead. At that point, you proved that you're not worthy to write an Iron Maiden review. Not only was Bruce's performance lack-luster, as he just wanted to be out at that point...the rest of the band seemed ininspired as they were tired of Bruce at that point, who had begun getting lazy at all shows, aside from the really big ones. The band's performance was good, but no more. Oh..and the illusionist....the dumbest...and I DO meant DUMBEST thing I have ever seen. It was embarassing. OK, so I did properly respond....so sue me.

I WILL give you this, though... Rock In Rio is a fantastic DVD. How, though, do you reconcile the fact that RIR contains TONS of new material from Brave New World (that's the tour it was filmed on), with your comment that Maiden is a band that should only play their classics on tour? Which is it? Make up your mind.

Lastly....Piece Of Mind was always my favorite album....even with all the brilliant albums they've put out since then. However, that is no longer. Believe it or not, within the first few listens of A Matter Of Life And Death, it became my favorite Maiden album....easily! I won't bother to go into detail why, and you certainly didn't say much why you didn't like it...reviewing only ONE song out of the ten....anyway, I won't go into depth why I love it, cause frankly people don't care. If you love it...buy...if you don't...don't. However, I think it's a friggin masterpiece and Maiden have NEVER sounded so vibrant, alive, and relevant.

1) ... I say this because I believe that a band such as Maiden, needs to be reviewed by someone who is a REAL fan of the band...not someone who just likes 4 songs off of each album. They need to be reviewed by someone who really GETS them.

2) I'm a fan of Maiden's earlier genius...and have been since 1983. I love AMOLAD, and not because I don't know better...but because it strikes something within me....

3) You say Maiden is a band that should stick to playing their old material live. I'm not sure what this has to do with a review of the new album...speaking to a lack of professionalism, by the reviewer...

Lastly....Piece Of Mind was always my favorite album....even with all the brilliant albums they've put out since then. However, that is no longer. Believe it or not, within the first few listens of A Matter Of Life And Death, it became my favorite Maiden album....easily! I won't bother to go into detail why, and you certainly didn't say much why you didn't like it...reviewing only ONE song out of the ten....anyway, I won't go into depth why I love it, cause frankly people don't care. If you love it...buy...if you don't...don't. However, I think it's a friggin masterpiece and Maiden have NEVER sounded so vibrant, alive, and relevant.

Interesting points deserving some rebuttal. Khan, you sound pissed that someone else dumped their opinion in this thread! Even though you weren't talking directly to ME, I felt like my opinion could have been ass fucked just as bad as this guy's... I've got something to say about 4 of the things you said

1) If only "REAL FANS" reviewed an album then every album would be the greatest fucking album on earth. What about the first time listener? Their opinion doesn't mean shit? My 15 year old son picked up Piece of Mind and thought it was fuckin great. Never heard Maiden before that point. "Great album Dad." THAT'S a fuckin review. :headbang:

2) Maybe it strikes something with you but I don't know if you're just one of those cross eyed fans that is still flying off that bad hit of acid you took in '84. With that in mind, can anyone fully trust YOUR opinion? I remember when Kiss released Psycho Circus.. I actually met Kiss fans that were trying to tell me it was a GREAT ALBUM!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what a fuckin joke!

3) 2 points here... It would have been nice if they played some more "classics" on the latest tour considering this is the first time I got the chance to go see them. Also... I didn't know we had to be pros to review an album here! ;)

Lastly after all that said, I believe A Matter of Life and Death was number 2 in Canada at the time of the tour. I was thoroughly impressed with that number, didn't expect it at all and was elated that the band is still enjoying that kind of success not only in Canada but all over the world. Also, the more I listen to the album the more I like it but it aint no Piece of Mind!!!

A weak effort from one of my favorite bands. It sounds like Maiden but this album does not have the fire of the great albums of the 80's & early 90's.

Dickinson's voice is not what it used to be either. It is a shame to see such a great band put out an album like this. After afew listens I still can't enjoy it at all.

There isn't a song on the album that I dislike, although there isn't a song that I find excellent. Many songs above average though and is overall a very solid album. I'd give it an 8 / 10 because of it's consistancy.

GREAT!!!! cd i like brave new world better i dont know about dance of death i give this album a 8:headbang: /10 only because i dont like 2 tracks at all and their is a couple that are only ok my favorite song off the album is the longest day
i saw them in concert on the opening night of the tour i was in the pit and could have touched them i was so close it was my first concert and one of the best nights of my life!

MAIDEN IS THE SICKEST BAND ALIVE!!!!!!!!! :puke: :headbang: :headbang:

haha, I can sum up the whole album pretty quickly.
1. Clean Intro
2.gets a little fast with power chords
3.clean outro

thats about it.

When i watched the DVD that accompanies A Matter of Life and Death i heard Bruce say that they [Maiden] were trying to be more progressive. This suprised me at first, because for me that word is closely associated with prog metal, and im sure it is for most of you to. But bands often describe new albums as progressive, in all genres, when there is any departure from the typical sound fans are used to. This is supposed to mean it sounds different because they are "growing creatively". So perhaps when reviewers and the band themselves say progressive they mean the word in this sense not in the Dream Theater sense. This said I also think that it is possible that they may have meant that sense, not that they started this album thinking "yknow this whole heavy metal thing is like dusty farts, lets make a prog metal album" but more like lets be progressive heavy metal. And some of the tracks actually sound that way. idk just some thoughts.

This is their best post-SSOASS album, period. It takes the familiar sounds and mixes them with new elements, such as on The Legacy, Lord of Light and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. Plus, it has The Pilgrim, which is one of the catchiest tracks they've ever recorded. I wasn't expecting the album to be this quality, honestly, so I'm very happy that it's this damn good. Plus, when I saw 'em, they played the whole damn thing and DIDN'T play Run to the Hills or Number of the Beast! Go Maiden!

this one is definitely better than 'Dance Of Death', but still it is lightyears away from the masterpiece that is called 'Brave New World'. 'Different World' is one of the weakest Maiden songs at all nd there are some mediocre tracks all through the whole album. on the other hand we have phantastic songs like 'Benjamin Breeg' or ' For The Greater Good...'

How can you 6.5 such an awesome album?

As far as the whole "none of the riffs warrant having 3 guitar players", you fail to realize that Maiden has the lineup they do for live performance purposes, and the majority of their work with Kevin Shirley is performed live, with few overdubs if any at all. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

How can you 6.5 such an awesome album?

As far as the whole "none of the riffs warrant having 3 guitar players", you fail to realize that Maiden has the lineup they do for live performance purposes, and the majority of their work with Kevin Shirley is performed live, with few overdubs if any at all. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm a hardcore fan, I knew all of that and I still don't find them making any good use of three guitars. A live performance purpose does damned near nothing but make the sound that bit muddier.

Having said that, I honestly couldn't choose one of the three to be booted from the band. Even Janick.

It isn't a weak album. This is actually the kind of stuff the Blaze Bayley era produced, but unfortunately that stuff is underrated due to the fact that Blaze's voice didn't fit the band.

A Progressive Power Metal album, actually. I give it 8/10. Solid stuff, with The Legacy and The Longest Day being very memorable songs. Lord of Light is the weakest song, but even that is pretty good.

EDIT: Btw, Iron Maiden are coming to India on 17th and I can't go because I have university exams on that very same day. I am still trying to get over it.:cry:

Don't get over it, protest. Tell those snooby university bastards that there is teh mehtul concert to go to and you need an extra fucking day to headbang and get shitfaced. :kickass: :kickass:

Hopefully they understand.

I've been trying to get into this one and can't. Every song but two starts with a damn "atmospheric" intro and slowly builds. I'm trying to just appreciate it for what it is, and forget about Maiden's older work, but it's tough.

It's a dreary, meandering album, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I look to Maiden for.

Maybe it'll click one of these days, but for now I'm not liking it much.

EDIT : "Benjamin Breeg" came on in shuffle and I caught myself liking it. Maybe I just need to listen to this a few more times. Those slow build ups kill me, though...