Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

Don't get over it, protest. Tell those snooby university bastards that there is teh mehtul concert to go to and you need an extra fucking day to headbang and get shitfaced. :kickass: :kickass:

Hopefully they understand.

Well, I couldn't and I missed it. Oh well, atleast I passed the stupid exam...

Sepultura are coming here on April 1st. Not much of a consolation, as I am not a fan of the Derrick Green led Groove outfit, preferred the Max Cavalera Thrash era. Might go, or maybe not, since they are only here to promote their Dante XXI album, which I didn't like.

Sepultura not cmg to india mate.......:mad:
the show got cancelled or rather postponed......u can make it up by going to the aerosmith concert on july 17th tho:lol:

I was disappointed with this disc... I gave it a few listens plus I put it on for the people at work and the first comment was why the sound is so bad....

These guys have the resources to get a better sound from their music and it's rediculious that many independent bands do a much better job!!!

Love the band but was a little disappointed with this album. It did get better after Reincarnation of B.C. but overall kind of disapointing. I for one though really enjoyed Brave New World and Dance of Death thought both were pretty solid albums.

I think that the new album has some really good points on it but it is nothing revolutionary in fact its not really a step up from 'Dance of Death' which I prefer personally. I don't think that Maiden have got many new ideas in them and if the new album is anything to go by then I think that Maiden are past their prime. I just hope they can prove me wrong on the next album. Still they are an amazing band who have made some quality records and they won't be forgetten in my listening any time soon.

Ok...first off:
Production overall is good (Yays!). A consistent sound, good atmosphere...
ALBUM IS TOO FUCKING LONG!
Almost a concept album...but not quite

1: Different World
First off, shouldn't be on the album because it sounds nothing like the rest of the album and has nothing to do with it. Beyond that, it's just not very good. Obviously made to be a single...
3/10

2: These Coulors Don't Run
Hell yeah! My favorite on the album..relatively concise, good lyrics, catchy, well written. A 21st century Maiden classic. Good solos. Connects to the overall theme of war and it's consequences.
9.5/10

3: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Now ye'r talkin'! Sadly, once you start talking, you never seem to shut up. This song is about 3 minutes too long. However, I don't know which 3 minutes to cut...although the quiet "out of the darkness" part definitely needs to go. Very instructive, if you're trying to learn how to lose momentum. Momentum is actually a problem for the whole album (all the songs begin quiet and end quiet, meaning there's no carry-over momentum between songs), but it's at its worst here. Good solos, well written, but too long and inconsistent. At least it fits well with the themes.
7/10

4: The Pilgrim
Good opening melodies, not too long, but the lyrics are less than perfect. Unmemorable... Still, basically fits in with the theme...not my favorite, but solid. Solid solos.
7/10

5: The Longest Day
Epic Maiden classic, except for the part where it doesn't end...ever. ("How long, on this longest song, till it finally fades out?"). Still, the intro is very good, the chorus and whatnot is solid...just about 3 minutes too long. CUT THE FUCKING CHORUS, DAMNIT! Good solos, fits in perfectly. Fits with classic Maiden war songs (The Trooper, Where Eagles Dare, Etc) but feels more like Passchendale (also KICKASS). Pretty good, overall, but would be amazing without excessive chorusing.
8/10

6: Out Of The Shadows
As Bruce constantly says, this one is "the odd one out." Solid overall, but doesn't fit thematically. Still, fairly concise and good. Ought to be a B-Side, not on the album (the thing is already too long).
7/10

7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Boring, too long, and doesn't fit in with the others. The whole Benjamin Breeg thing is cool and all but should be kept to B-Sides or whatever...Not too great, musically or lyrically.
4.5/10

8. For The Greater Good Of God
Potentially amazing track here, killed by cumbersome length and terrible chorus. Good lyrics, good music, but the "For the greater good...of god!" bit is like parody or something...and the "Please tell me now..." thing is repeated too much...way too much. Solo plays with channels too much, but is alright. Overall, very good...Expresses the theme perfectly.
8.5/10

9: Lord of Light
Boring, too long, musically uninteresting, might be good if it was waayy shorter. End-of-album foot-dragging.
4.5/10

10: The Legacy
"Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh...Dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-duhhhh" My impression of The Legacy is basically that riff 20 million times...boring, long, uninteresting...album END! Wow...might be alright if it was WAY, WAY shorter.
4/10

Anyhoo...overall, the album is better than the sum of its parts, which is a good thing. 7/10. Would be 7.5-8/10 if Diff. World, Out of the Shadows, and Benjamin breeg were removed, would be 8.5-9.5 if they also trimmed the whole thing. This had incredible potential, but just didn't work...