Brave New World

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
I'm listening to BNW for the first time in a while, and just wondered what everyone thinks of it now after almost 2 years? (2 years in May, I think?)

I still like it a lot - although the (IMO) dodgy songs (Nomad, Blood Brothers) stick out more than before. But the rest sound as good as they did when I first heard them :)

Well it's reassuring to see someone else doesn't like Nomad. :)

I can't say I like BNW overly much when I first heard it, and things havn't really changed.
Only real difference now is I don't mind Out Of The Silent Planet when I really used to hate it.

I'd still put the album towards the bottom in terms of my favourite Maiden album.:cry:

I like it,i like it quite alot. It's no seventh son,but it's good all the same.

Although it has absolutely nothing on Mr Bungle-S/t. Cos thats the coolest cd ever.

Originally posted by Joe Salami
as does The Thin Line Between Love And Hate.

Only the verse vocal harmony thing annoys me about this song. Otherwise I love it!

I like Thin Line. It's probably the only song on the album I genuinely like and don't mind listening to, although Nomad is pretty good, apart from the lyrics.

Now that all the hype surrounding the reunion and release of BNW is long over, it's easier to listen to the album objectively and judge it on its own merits. I still really enjoy it, though it seems more like The X-Factor with Bruce and Adrian than a "classic" Maiden album per se. The lyrics still need work, a few of the songs are longer than they need to be and Adrian should have written a *lot* more.

The only tracks that don't do much for me are Nomad (reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia, which is one of the most boring films ever made) and The Mercenary (the word "filler" comes instantly to mind). Faves are Dream of Mirrors, Wickerman, Fallen Angel and The Thin Line. I could never understand why this one isn't very popular.

Tania: I haven't listened to BNW for a while either so I can forgive you that, but George and Robbie? Get your act together, woman! :)

W

Has it really been 2 years already? Bloody hell!

Anyway.. I've started listening to this one again recently... I always seem to turn it off somewhere into "the nomad" though.

I think it's a decent album, but probably not one of their best. That said, I think stuff like Dream of Mirrors, Brave New World and maybe Blood Brothers is about as good as anything they've ever done.

I haven't listened to it in a while either but the last few days I've been spinning it because of this thread.

My fav tracks from this album are for some reason the "simpler" songs - The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, The Fallen Angel and Out of the Silent Planet.

I'm not sure if this is just me but since The X-Factor, in my opinion they have done too many songs that have a clean guitar, "moody", "atmospheric" intros. I know they have always done these kind of things but in the "old days" they would pop up in the middle of songs ie Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 7th Son of a 7th Son. I just feel if they would kick in with the cool heavy parts earlier in the songs I would give the track more time rather than getting bored with a 2 min clean guitar intro that is spose to set some kind of mood or something.

Originally posted by Cooperman

...My fav tracks from this album are for some reason the "simpler" songs...
...in my opinion they have done too many songs that have a clean guitar, "moody", "atmospheric" intros.
... earlier in the songs I would give the track more time rather than getting bored with a 2 min clean guitar intro that is spose to set some kind of mood or something.

To Quote Mr Roy Z about recent Maiden,

Well without saying anything I think the songs are too long. The arrangements needs to be looked at. They try to have too many epics on one album, every song has to be like a grandiose movie. I think its more effective if you have maybe two on the album instead of maybe six

It's the best since the 80s I think, but could've been much better if it had more rockers and less attempts at epics. Too many long songs, not enough to the point.