Advice for a guitar tone

LionTooth

New Metal Member
Oct 1, 2013
*Please move if this is in the wrong place*

I guess you could say I'm an "ametuer producer", and I seem to be having a problem with my guitar tone. My guitar tones always sound very dry and hard. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a nice wet n' juicy guitar tone like Sturgis or Mizell? Thanks for the help c:

*Please move if this is in the wrong place*

I guess you could say I'm an "ametuer producer", and I seem to be having a problem with my guitar tone. My guitar tones always sound very dry and hard. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a nice wet n' juicy guitar tone like Sturgis or Mizell? Thanks for the help c:

well it'll be easier to answer your question if you show us some example of your to point in the right direction man!

Alright, here is a song that I produced, using pod farm for the guitar tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes your guitar tone is pretty harsh, your guitar tone is pretty similiar to bands like Like Moths to Flames and the new We Came As Romans album. What guitar and pickups did u use for this recording? Active pickups like EMG usually sounds harsher and therefore you have to be more careful with the high mids and hi end. How does your EQ look like?

Yes your guitar tone is pretty harsh, your guitar tone is pretty similiar to bands like Like Moths to Flames and the new We Came As Romans album. What guitar and pickups did u use for this recording? Active pickups like EMG usually sounds harsher and therefore you have to be more careful with the high mids and hi end. How does your EQ look like?

Yeah, the guitar the guitarist was using had EMGs. My EQ looks like this:
http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3765291

No wonder why they sound like that, you have scooped your guitars way too much and try to set your LPF at around 7-10k Hz. Try also to do some surgical cuts at around 4k since thats usually were the fizz in amp sims comes from. I also cut some at 1k Hz since those freqs sounds pretty bad.

No wonder why they sound like that, you have scooped your guitars way too much and try to set your LPF at around 7-10k Hz. Try also to do some surgical cuts at around 4k since thats usually were the fizz in amp sims comes from. I also cut some at 1k Hz since those freqs sounds pretty bad.

Ok, thanks! :D

My best advice as far as guitar tones is to go with the redwirez impulse (bogner uberkab to be exact), set it to sm7 cap 1 in

Pair that with Cali Diamond Plate or Big Bottom head and it is the sound of ecstacy