Advice for Wall of Gtr sound - but tight!!

Pablo333

Jan 13, 2009
Now, i dont like Rammstein - but i do like the huge gtr sound they manage to get on their tracks-

Im working on a track now - different style for me - and i need to get a huge gtr sound - (Quad tracking has worked out ok so far) but i think theres something missing .

The track is basically going to be one riff (dont laugh) but there is a lean part and some leads that will essentially imply the chord change.

But i need the riff to be massive in the cliched sense of the word.

So far i've done L + R @ 100 and L + R @ 70 - so 4 gtrs all playing the same riff.

Any advice regarding this ? Should all gtrs share the same settings amps etc??

Cheers in advance guys

that should be fine for panning to fill the outside of the mix, aslong as you have a nice solid sounding bass to hold them together it will 1. tighten them up and 2. push the forward nicley :) seriously for that thickness, bass is the dick and balls of a huge sound

So , regarding the bass - would you go for a more "rounded" bass sound or a bass sound with quite a prominent Mid boost (mid dirt) ??

Generally I find the more grind you put on the bass, the less depth you end up with - so if you want big, try and keep the bass clean and smooth, and loud/defined enough that you can hear the notes. Maybe try a touch of stereo chorus too, to make it a little wider.

With the guitars, try changing the EQ/amp settings on the inner takes (normally I think people take out a touch of lows and highs so they have a bit less presence).

If possible, try adding doubling the riff an octave up on the guitars (and maybe bass too), quite low in the mix and hard-panned - I do that quite often on simple parts (just big slow chords or something), and it can work wonders. If the riff is just power chords, it can sound quite good to overdub the whole thing with open chords too (mixed down and hard-panned again).

Reverbs are the other way of getting some epic-ness, but it only works on certain things and is incredibly easy to overdo - when I do it, I tend to add reverb to the left-sided guitars and pan it to the right and vice versa. Turn off the dry signal, turn down/off the early reflections. Put the fader all the way down, then bring it up slowly until it just adds a little feel. If you can hear it, it's too loud :p

Steve