Aeternus

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
They deserve their own thread.

Their post-And So the Night Became Stuff is awesome. It's taken me a while to realize it. The first three are brilliant beyond comparison, but Shadows of Old and Ascension of Terror are quite good in their own right. Epic in a whole other way, they are. Brutal death metal with epic overtones. Immolation? Pffftt, for girls.

Highly recommended, though few of you will listen since y'all like other "music". :tickled: :p :loco:

I'm curious about their death metal side, since I like death metal a whole shitload more than black(ened) metal, so tell me where to start. Most of the time people shit on it, which has kind of kept me at bay.

...And So the Night Became is groin grabbingly good.

All I suggest is that you give them plenty of time. With the first three, they are almost immediate in their brilliance. Not so with the stuff after. Give them time, and most importantly, DO NOT compare them to the first when listening, because you will dismiss them fairly quickly if you do.

I've loved this band since I heard them. I never understood why they haven't received more recognition. Beyond the Wandering Moon is one of the best black metal albums ever. I mean, it sounds a lot like death metal in some ways, but it has a total black metal vibe to it. Highly recommended.

The stuff on Shadows of Old sounds really awesome from what I've heard. Like J. said, very death metalish, but totally epic at the same time. I hear their newest album is shit though.

Also, they need to tour the US. Or at least Scandinavia Jr. (aka Minnesota).

I have Ascension of Terror somewhere -- Matryr sent me a freebie for being late on some other order -- but I've yet to listen to it. I had heard it was all straightforward DM, and that is a dangerously boring thing to these ears. I'll check it out eventually.

...And so the Night Became is gold.

They really need to go back and re-release Shadows of Old with some decent artwork. I wouldn't buy that album just on the cover alone. :ill:

Yeah, the cover of SoO is awful.

It is more death metal-ish, but it does have an epic vibe.

To my ears, their latest, A Dark Monument, was their worst. Hopefully 2006's Hexaeon will be killer.

"A Darker Monument" completely destroys - I think "Ascension Of Terror" is their worst (but it isn't bad, by any means). "And So The Night Became" was one of the records that got me into metal in the first place. Killer band. I loved seeing them live.

You just... no... meanie! :cry:

How'd they sound and what was the set list?

They were excellent. The setlist included songs such as Sword Of The Earth, Soulslayer, Slavestate, Descend To The Underworld, Ascension Of The Elders and Under The Eternal Blackened Sky. This was three years ago, by the way. I bet this post was worth waiting two years for :googly:

Edit: I bet this post was worth waiting two years for.

I'm tempted to order the following:
Aeternus - And So the Night Became
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Fleurety - Min Tid Skall Komme

only $29.50 altogether!