After Vintersorg and Finntroll...

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
(which I've seen lumped together by some ppl:)), what is the next band I should check out? I should note that I don't like bands that are too overly 'viking'-ish (ie, you can imagine them sitting around a roaring fire sculling pints of mead;)), but any suggestions will be taken on board :D

Thanks!

Mmm... Have you considered Otyg? It's definitely not your run of the mill music... far more folksy than the other two mentioned, but still quite metal. Also, many of the same people from Vintersorg are in Otyg as well (including Vintersorg himself). *All* Otyg songs thusfar are in Swedish, and Vintersorg's vocals are all clean in Otyg.

It's hard to get ahold of, but you might also consider a norwegian band called "Storm." The only album they released was called Nordavind... very interesting stuff.

You've probably heard them already, but it would be kind of wrong to neglect Amorphis's "Tales from the thousand lakes" album as well... a lot more death/doom, but to me the mood of the music feels a lot like a good Vintersorg song.

Hmm... Personally, I *can* immagine finntroll chugging down stiens of mead. :lol:

Try SUIDAKRA! (www.suidakra.de)
I would suggest you first get a bit into the latest output THE ARCANUM (with a real fantastic Skyclad-coverversion of One Piece Puzzle, IMHO ;) ), then you might check the other 2 albums.

Amon Amarth! Their more death akinned than folky viking but still good shit, Thyrfings good, I have Urkraft but like Amon Amarth, they talk about Viking elements in their lyrics.

I keep hearing about Suidakra - maybe I should check 'em out! :)

And thanks for the other names, I will have to work through the list :D :cool:

Definitely Children Of Bodom, as mentioned
earlier by Karldin.Then Haggard, After Forever,
Thy Serpent, Within Temptation ("The Dance"),
Rakoth and Ashes To Ashes.
You've probably heard some of these bands
before I guess, but if you're not already a fan;
you should check them out again! >:eek:)

Hey evilshell!!!! *greeeeeeetings*

Back again or still on the road? :)

Sorry, I must tell you, that Graveworm are not German but South Tyrolean, so they're even more Austrian than German.
To complete the confusion: politically, South Tyrol belongs to Italy ;) - so fact is, they're Italiens. :D :loco:

-------- ----------- -------------
some recommended bands: Summoning, Riger

Originally posted by Mark
I should note that I don't like bands that are too overly 'viking'-ish (ie, you can imagine them sitting around a roaring fire sculling pints of mead;))

Hm, am I getting this wrong? Thought you're NOT into bands which are too overly viking-ish, but still you get all suggestions on viking metal bands... ;)