Agalloch and...

rofl. goredo there are like 10 agalloch threads already. calm down

I may have not made my question clear enough, it was not so much about Agalloch Tom as it was bands with a similar sound.

As I did not like Ashes all that much I wandering if any other bands had tried use a similar formula.

For those that replied understanding my question thank you. I have heard woods of ypres and not thought too much of it. in the woods is ok....

I will have to check out drudkh there name keeps coming up for me recently so it time to make an order.

Obviously not exactly the same sound or mood but can relate...

Borknagar
Primordial
Enslaved

Now Im not saying that those bands are equal in every way to Agalloch but to me those bands have a similar vibe and level of skill involved.

Question to all, has anyone come across anything like Agalloch at all?

Forget all the bullshit that people here have written: There is NO similarity to Drudkh or Empyrium (are you people fucking deaf or stupid, which one?) and defnitely not Borknagar (hell, are you fucking tone deaf? See your fucking doctor!).

The closest that you will get to Agalloch really is their sister band, Sculptured and even then Sculptured is less post-rockish than Agalloch is, and much more Maiden influenced, and even has brass. Still, the inclusion of Don Anderson, Haughm and JWW in the band is enough to make it sound Agalloch-ish.

Tom might be able to suggest some post-rock bands as that's not really my forte.

To find similarities or influences to Agalloch, aside from Ulver's Bergtatt (which they have cited as an influence in interviews), you are best off exploring their non-metal aspects: investigate bands like "Godspeed! You Black Emperor", investigate indie film (probably their biggest influence overall).

I generally find that despite being a simpler album for Agalloch, Ashes Against The Grain is probably the most complex one to get into. Thrash out The Mantle first, then go onto Pale Folklore, then into Ashes Against the Grain.

As far as Drudkh goes though, I suggest holding off first until you settle with Agalloch. Not because they're similar, but because Drudkh's journey is on a totally different path, and also further into the core of Black Metal's cultural ideology. With Drudkh, you must immerse yourself and your approach - it is not music created for the sake of sounding good.

Question to all, has anyone come across anything like Agalloch at all?

Check out Forgotten Woods. Some of Agalloch's early work remind me of FW. I wouldn't exactly say carbon copy, but it sounds like their is some influence from FW there.

FW is more raw, dark, depressive though. But still, you cannot deny this band. New album out soon, cannot wait!

Forget all the bullshit that people here have written: There is NO similarity to Drudkh or Empyrium (are you people fucking deaf or stupid, which one?) and defnitely not Borknagar (hell, are you fucking tone deaf? See your fucking doctor!).

The closest that you will get to Agalloch really is their sister band, Sculptured and even then Sculptured is less post-rockish than Agalloch is, and much more Maiden influenced, and even has brass. Still, the inclusion of Don Anderson, Haughm and JWW in the band is enough to make it sound Agalloch-ish.

Tom might be able to suggest some post-rock bands as that's not really my forte.

To find similarities or influences to Agalloch, aside from Ulver's Bergtatt (which they have cited as an influence in interviews), you are best off exploring their non-metal aspects: investigate bands like "Godspeed! You Black Emperor", investigate indie film (probably their biggest influence overall).

I generally find that despite being a simpler album for Agalloch, Ashes Against The Grain is probably the most complex one to get into. Thrash out The Mantle first, then go onto Pale Folklore, then into Ashes Against the Grain.

As far as Drudkh goes though, I suggest holding off first until you settle with Agalloch. Not because they're similar, but because Drudkh's journey is on a totally different path, and also further into the core of Black Metal's cultural ideology. With Drudkh, you must immerse yourself and your approach - it is not music created for the sake of sounding good.

I have been listening to Agalloch and Sculpted for over two years now, I get it. Ashes Against The Grain goes against my grain. I love the Mantle. And after similar sounds to that. I have heaps of post-rock stuff already and others like Godspeed and all that kind of jazz. Been listen that sort of stuff for a while, I guess what I was getting at was the mix of acoustic and blackish metal stuff.

Forgotten Woods sounds interesting I will check that out. Thanks Ikil.

Hey Tom, I am sure there are heaps of Agalloch threads on here, but you know I am lazy. Plus I am a n00b0))) to this here forum.

I guess what I was getting at was the mix of acoustic and blackish metal stuff.

To be honest, asking these kinds of questions in this forum will not get you far. The majority of answers you get will refer to more accessible bands and unfortunately that is pretty much the extent of knowledge you will find in the Opeth forum. Also, too many people are influenced by their love for Opeth, which will distort the answers furthermore.

Skip this forum and head over to this thread in the main forum. It's the only place worth hanging out in UM for serious Black Metal.

However, if you're only just getting your feet wet, and I suspect you are, then the Opeth forum is an ok place to start.