on the lookout for new music...

SerenityNow!

*burp*
Feb 28, 2008
On Top
I'm getting into another one of my phases where I need to look into new music. Last year sometime, I bought Agalloch's "The Mantle", and I fell in love with it. I'm looking for similar music (I obviously plan on getting more Agalloch). I'm looking for the more ambient and foresty paganistic, or nature oriented, and folky post-metal (phew!) sounding stuff, rather than abrasive black metal styled music. When I listen to Agalloch I get the vibe of a cold late October night, in the woods, and next to a roaring bonfire (yeah, I know it's corny so bite me!). I'm just wondering if anyone has recommendations for other bands that play music similar to Agalloch.

Thanks, Y'all!:)

I know it's not what you're looking for from your description, but if you're willing to try something new, I highly suggest Eluvium's piano only album of An Accidental Memory in Case of Death. A friend of mind was gracious enough to sit at his computer and send me the entire disc, and it was worth it. It is a simply amazing album.

There's another thread like this with some great suggestions (thanks to it, I found Novembre)

The Morningside. Fucking awesome band from Russia. It's sort of a mix between Katatonia's Brave Murder Day and Agalloch.

folk metal essentials:

Turisas - The Varangian Way
Moonsorrow - EVERYTHING.

But anyway, :lol:

I just checked out Moonsorrow, very cool! Sankaritarina sounds like the music you'd hear as you approached the gates of Valhalla! lol :kickass:

Along with some of these a few that spring to mind...
Ikuinen Kaamos- The Forlorn
Empyrium- Weiland
Ulver- Kveldssanger
Drudkh- Songs Of Grief And Solitude
Fen- Ancient Sorrow
Kauan- Lumikuuro
Coldworld- Melancholie²
Neun Welten- Vergessene Pfade

I was just thinking, hang on, Alcest?! And while I'm at it another one staring at me in the face but slipped my mind is Negura Bunget's last two albums specifically.