music recommendations...

orchid dreams

Apostle In Triumph
Jul 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
I've been listening to black metal / thrash / and others in that musical vein for awhile now. I must say that Opeth is my favorite band that I have found so far and I was wondering if people could give me some recommendations as far as music. I'm looking for more black metal-oriented music...

Just throwing in some of my favourites..

Black metallish:
  • Dissection
  • Dimmu Borgir
  • Covenant / The Kovenant
  • Old Man's Child
  • Tristania
  • Diabolical Masquerade
  • Kalmah

Other:
  • In Flames
  • Dark Tranquillity
  • Nightwish
  • Katatonia
  • Arcturus (older stuff is more black metal - like)

Hmm, maybe I should have included some links, but I'm in a bit of a hurry right now.

Cheers!

i'd second Dissection and Arcturus, quite amazing, i'd describe Arcturus as Techno/Black Metal/Classical band, they're amazing. Tristania aren't really black... and i don't really like them....
if you want something black, try Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, Satyricon, Vinterland, Graveland, Vintersorg (somewhat reminiscent of Opeth, SOMEWHAT), Limbonic Art, Carpathian Forest, Borknagar, Ulver (was black on one album, the magnificent "Natterns Madrigal"), Rotting Christ, BURZUM (something else completly), Dodheimsgard and Immortal (probably the most technical of the Norwegian black metal bands)

Don't forget Emperor and Cradle of Filth....The later are also kind of gothic.But if you do like gothic metal, check out Ancient Ceremony, Opera IX, and Theater of Tragedy...

...for the responses. I've been listening to Emperor, Enslaved, Satyricon, and some of Dimmu Borgir for awhile now. I also never used to listen to COF but I feel their music is getting BETTER with each release, hence catching my attention. I'll be sure to check out some of these other bands.

For raw black try: Horna, Judas Iscariot, Azaghal, Black Witchery, Taake (hell yeah!), Krieg, Demoncy, Svartsyn, Clandestine Blaze, Pest, Kyprian's Circle, Nocturne. Also get the Weltmacht (sp?) album if it ever gets released (damn you elegy records!!!!!!!!). It features Imperial from Krieg and Akhenaton (aka Andrew Harris) from Judas Iscariot and Sarcophagus.

For the Dissection fan in all of us: The Chasm (older stuff), In Aeternum (esp. Forever Blasphemy).

Fuck Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Shit, far and away the best symphonic BM band is Hades Almighty.

I just listened to many clips of Dissection and I think I'm going to start with this band. Now does anyone have an idea on which album I should buy first? (I know I'm a pest) :)

Oh come on Sadistik don't be like that, you gotta love Dimmu and Cradle....I was at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on thursday for CoF concert and those fuckers know how to put up a show, and Dani is one of the best front men that I have ever seen live....oh that reminds me, any Nile fans here?

I just don't like Cof or Dimmu. I like For al Tid by Dimmu, but thats about it. And I don't like keys and female vox in my black metal (thus my disdain for COF). Though many people love these two bands, so maybe thats just saying that I don't get it.

THROES OF DAWN ... these guys are really good. They call themselves dark metal I think. Kinda a mix of black and melodic death I guess. A few softer acoustic bits thrown in aswell make it a little Opethish. Black metal vox. Check em out if you haven't already.

I just listened to many clips of Dissection and I think I'm going to start with this band. Now does anyone have an idea on which album I should buy first? (I know I'm a pest)

I like "The Somberlain" the best, might try that first.

Abysmal Gates... Ok Ok they are Unsigned, but so what they are much better than a lot of the stuff out there. You can check out mp3.com/abysmalgates But thats when It was a one man project by a man by the name of Brian who lives in New Jersey. It is now a full band with 5 people. I keep in touch with Brian quite often and he lets me in on all the news heh... These guys are great, please check them out on mp3.com even though its out dated. They are working on new stuff that I can assure you is as good as the stuff on mp3.com (at least from what I have heard.) Lets just hope they get signed people!!!!!

What I found with CoF is that their first album was great, really raw. Bad recording, reminded me (in that sense) of Born of the Flickering (OMC). Their second album, Vempire, had way better production, and overall their best work, IMO.

From there on, Dani lost his scream. He couldn't scream as long or as loud. Live, his voice just doesn't cut it in the low end. If they had two vocalists, Dani could concentrate on screaming, and it'd be a lot better live. I haven't heard anything past Cruelty and the Beast, which had only 2 or 3 tracks that stood out to me..

oh well. I'm not really into CoF anymore anyway. They were a passage, a necessary evil (they'd like to be called that) to get where I am. :p