Anekdoten

nyleve

May 6, 2001
Canada
pub22.ezboard.com
I was wondering about this band. As far as I've heard, this is dark and heavy neo-prog with some gothic moments. Is this true? Can anyone give me any info and recommendations for these guys. My tastes revolve around progressive rock/progressive metal. My favourite bands are Yes, Dream Theater, Magellan, Opeth, and Genesis.

Mark said:
After a request from Opeth.com, the off-topic forum has been closed, and all threads therein have been moved to UM's general chat forum (a link has been placed at the top of this forum for your convenience).

Please note, this forum is for Opeth discussion only. Flame wars, personal attacks, and other disruptive behaviour will not be tolerated - anyone wishing to push these limits may well find their account suspended without notice.

This forum is provided (and paid for) by Opeth for discussion about the band's music and performances. Please refrain from using it for anything else.

What you have heard is basically true. Anekdoten give a mordern spin to early 70s progressive rock with a big emphasis on King Crimson especially. I havent picked up too much on the "gothic" thing you speak off, but perhaps there is..im just not sure what that would be. I have all their albums, and love them a lot...and judging by your influences...so will you...and youre my new best friend. And i wont hold the Dream Theater thing against you. jk :p

Their earlier stuff sounds more like King Crimson's noisier moments. GRAVITY is my favorite album of theirs, and it's their newest...it sounds less like King Crimson, but there's still a definite influence. I'd compare it to some kind of combo of King Crimson and later Anathema, but some of their songs don't sound anything like either...there's some DOORS-ISH keyboard on a few tracks too (like Ricochet, which is also probably my favorite song of theirs, besides maybe WHAT SHOULD BUT DID NOT DIE).