pure prog

Satori

Destructosaur
May 2, 2001
.. from grey to black
Visit site
Ok guys, I started this thread for this question which I hope you'll take as literally as I intend it.

What are the most progressive of the pregressive bands?

I don't mean just ambient or artistic with elements of prog, I mean seriously intense seriously talented bands.

I think we should put our personal tastes aside and try to be objective.

I submit these:

Yes (certain albums)
Genesis (again certain albums)
Gentle Giant (most albums)

What do you think?

Take care!

:(

Hey Onan,

how does your definition of prog differ?

Also, what is the correct punctuation of this:
"Godspeed You Black Emperor!"? What are the bands intended to be listed in this string or words?

thanks!

Satori

Yes and Gentle Giant are my two faves. :)
Close to the Edge, Fragile, Tales from Topographic Oceans, the Yes Album (and a couple more!) from Yes, and almost EVERY album from GG are prog classics!
Other goodies are Camel (they have a lot of different stuff through their career, earlier stuff is the best IMO), Henry Cow (never heard much but what I heard ruled), and Spock's Beard (newer prog - like a much more melodic Dream Theater... almost).
Oh, and of course Dream Theater. :)

Billy

I would like to add Pain of Salvation. I've recently discovered this -amazing- band from Sweden, and I quickly bought all 3 of their CDs. It's refreshing to hear a prog/metal band that doesn't sound like Dream Theater. These guys are very unique and talented, and I would urge everyone to check them out (if you don't know about them already).

Hey fusion,

thanks for your input! I just wanted to suggest that if you like GG then you'd probably love Echolyn. They did a full length album under sony about 5 or 6 years ago. I forget the name of the album but it's just awesome serious prog, and it's also very emotional too, amazing players. Echolyn are huge GG fans themselves and were very influenced by them, especiailly with the split 3 part vocal arrangements. They only have 2 albums under sony, it's the one NOT called "When the sweet turns sour" (this one is actually just imcomplete demo tunes, badly recorded, not worth getting). I think that echolyn are the only band to release something good in the 90's that could hold a candle to yes or GG. They are dead now, so sad.

Relayer is still my favourite album ever. It's too bad yes went to crap, what a waste of talent. Prog rules.

I'm going to look into this Pain of Salvation band.. anything swedish is looking pretty good to me at this point. I'm trying to avoid the commerical cheesiness of "prog metal" (yea right metal? I think not) bands like dream theatre and nevermore.

I'm going to check out Spiral Architect too, thanks for the suggestion andrebos. Man, I really need something new to listen to these days.

Opeth played an incredible set in Toronto, they are a great live bad. Mikael is the best metal vocalist ever. I was shocked by his range and power. The way he sang advent was better than the album. And when he did the opening part of demon of the fall (Silent dance with death, everything is lost...) holy crap, his voice was as low and powerful as on the album. Mikael is god. Real prog METAL rules!

Hail opeth!

Satori

Thanks everyone! I'm looking for Echolyn and Pain of Salvation on Napster right now.

Originally posted by Satori
Relayer is still my favourite album ever. It's too bad yes went to crap, what a waste of talent. Prog rules.

I love Relayer, but I never liked it better than the other 3 albums before it.
And hold up man... Yes did NOT go to crap! Have you kept up with them lately? Sure, the 80s with Trevor Rabin sucked, but Howe has been back for years, and the last couple tours they did were phenomenal! Did you know about the Masterworks tour last year? If not, I'm gonna tell you the setlist I saw and you will freak, dude!

Billy

hey Billy,

I saw them on tour about 2 years ago, they played a bit of the older progessive stuff but the remainder of it was crap like "seen all good people" (ungh, shoot me now).

What did you see them play?

When I said they are crap now I meant the more recent albums suck, not their live performances.

thanks for your input!

Satori

Their last album, "The Ladder", is great! Not up to par with their classics, but a great album for the ole guys.

The Masterworks tour, which was last summer, was supposed to showcase their more 'epic' songs, the ones they haven't played in years (with the exception of the last two songs, but they are always welcome) and the fans wanted to see. So they did a poll on their website to determine the set list.

This is the set I saw (in order):

Close To The Edge
Starship Trooper
The Gates of Delerium
The Ancient
Heart of the Sunrise
Ritual
I've Seen All Good People
Roundabout

Let me tell you, it was PHENOMENAL. I couldn't have asked for a better set. The mushrooms didn't hurt either. ;)

This summer they are doing "Yessymphony", touring with a full symphony orchestra!

In terms of pure 'progressiveness', I would say King Crimson. They constantly evolved and mutated throughtout the 70s and 80s.
1969: In the Court... - Mellotron drenched, epic, jazzy in parts, amazing
1974: Much less Mellotron, much more guitar layers, a bit jazzier, sounds completely different. Like a different band almost

King Crimson are the epitome of prog-rock IMO. Check them out.

I recommend the Sean projects (Reinhart/Malone)... Gordian Knot, Cynic, Aghora. As well as Spiral Architect. Insane progressive techical stuff.

Satori said:
Also, what is the correct punctuation of this:
"Godspeed You Black Emperor!"? What are the bands intended to be listed in this string or words?

thanks!

Satori

"Godspeed you black emperor" is a band.

Elisstar said:
I would like to add Pain of Salvation. I've recently discovered this -amazing- band from Sweden, and I quickly bought all 3 of their CDs. It's refreshing to hear a prog/metal band that doesn't sound like Dream Theater. These guys are very unique and talented, and I would urge everyone to check them out (if you don't know about them already).

they've got 4 albums:

Entropia
One Hour by the Concrete Lake
The Perfect Element
Remedy Lane

iv got all of em, each one a great album, if you have not heard of this band get all their albums now, i mean right now! c'mon go buy them already!!!!!!

YES.
There's not any band alike. Yes Album, Close to the Edge, Fragile, Tales, Relayer and Going for the One are the pinnacle of the prog movement. OK, I know some Genesis, ELP, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Rush, PFM, etc etc but they don't have the same orgasmic effect upon me, though I love some of their works.
There's a band that surpasses Yes in my fanatism: Pink Floyd. I just don't include them in the prog rock label, but if one asks me the best band in history, that'd be the FLOYD! And not just the early Floyd, as what happens to the early Yes, nor the late Floyd as it goes with late Therion. Floyd is incredibly compelling at all moments of their career, from the psycho Piper at the Gates of Dawn to the beautiful Divison Bell (I also love Gilmour's stuff, so...)

PS: Satori, "I've seen all good people" shit???? ARGHHH, indeed I'll shoot you to death!!! BANG BANG!!!! What Yes fan is that???