pure prog

OK, I'm convinced to check out Devin Townsend and Ocean Machine...from all your comments alone. Thanks! And Rush NOT prog? :rolleyes: Come on...someone other than myself being silly? Maybe they were never a big fan.

Sorry I can't suggest any great prog band for you, Satori. This is how I end up hearing about most music myself. From here/online.

Originally posted by Lee_B
I've gone and burned 10 Cardiacs CD compilations, expecting a deluge of requests, but so far I've only had one! I even bought the CD's on the way home from work especially.. :(

It won't cost you anything and I won't sell your address on to the tax people or something :)

Lee

Cool, that's damn nice of you to offer like that. I feel bad about taking a CD from you though. Is there someplace we can hear this stuff online?

Satori

I had no idea the Cardiacs were on MP3.com

Out of all the songs there I would have chosen only one (Tarred And Feathered). It's a weird selection, but I guess it's chosen by the band themselves.

They're definitely an influence on Devin Townsend. One listen to "Ants" on his Infinity project would confirm this. It may as well be a Cardiacs song! Mr Bungle and Blur have both admitted cardiacs influences too.

They're one of those "love 'em or hate 'em" bands. There seems to be no middle ground. I think they're amazing but they make my Mrs' skin crawl...

There's still only three takers on the CDs! Exploit my generosity, dammit! :)

Lee

speaking of prog, has anyone ever heard Voivod? They have 2 cool albums, Dimension Hatross and Nothingface. I was big into this stuff about 10 years ago, and I still like it and still think it's pretty progressive. It's metal, but it's not dream theatre hair metal, nor is it death metal, it's kinda like, shit, I dunno how to explain it. It's pretty bizarre. The latter voivod albums are pretty lame (not prog) unfortunately.

Satori

Well...

progressiveness is difficult to define...but when you hear it, you know ;)

ok kidding

prog is either jazzy, or if not jazzy, it feels like it's jazz musicians playing :p

Ok not that...hehe

Progressive doesn't mean having an average song length of eight minutes, incoporating bizarre meters and tempo shifts, or keyboard solos in inexplicable places...it means challenging notions of songcraft and expanding the listeners' attention span.

Demonspell,
all you said plus the fact that prog tunes aren't stuck in the same emotion... for eg; 'evil' sounding music or whatever. Its so diverse in emotion it makes you bleed your emotions literally. And we all know how diverse Opeth are emotionally. So I guess that settles it.

and one word for KICK ASS prog.... seriously kicks fat fucking ass prog....

TERRIA :)

fucking love what Devins done with his sound in this project.... so bizarre eerie and enchantic... you can even hear 'retards' in the background.... LOL! no shit!

Of course, I eat up all the things I mentioned before coming up with the true definition. It doesn't hurt to have incredible instrumental knowledge! To me, words like ambition and pretension are not insults, and should not be confused with adjectives employed by prog detractors like wankery or "writing around the song", etc.

Agree on the variance of emotions part as well...

Yo Hoser!

I've only downloaded Canada and Mountain off that multimedia program KaZaA. Its the only 2 I could find. And don't they rock hey? (I must say I'm fucking impressed with Physicist... all I can say is 'namaste'!!!! :) )

anyway as for release dates, this is as off HeavyDeavy Records site:

"Terria is now available for pre-order. Discs should arrive approximately July 15.

Release date is set for August 15 in Europe and Australia, September 15 in Japan."

You lucky bastards get it before us! ;) I just might have to steal my old mans' credit card and do some damage.. he heheh...

Hey Demonspell! (thanx for all those bands to check out in your section by the way... thats fucking cool! :) )

Of course incredible skill is necessary to get you from a to b. But if you can't use it emotionally, like Spiral Architects stuff, which is hella complex but sounds 'cold'.. so whats the use of that when you can't make peoples mind cum like Opeth. :)

Originally posted by Autumn Rust
Of course incredible skill is necessary to get you from a to b. But if you can't use it emotionally, like Spiral Architects stuff, which is hella complex but sounds 'cold'.. so whats the use of that when you can't make peoples mind cum like Opeth. :)

I agree. I felt spiral architect was a little silly for that reason. They spin their tires and do all sorts of instrumental masturbation while Mikael can convey more depth and range of emotion in a few simple notes or words/screams. I think the same goes for dream theatre and helloween and fates warning.

I think the "thing" with these prog hair metal bands is that they are musicians but not artists. Some bands are artists but not musicians (ie. ac/dc, kiss, neil young) and personally I'd rather listen to an artist than a musican cuz that's the bloody point of music to me, I listen to it for it's artistic expression, not it's musicianship only, I need both to get my brain to spew huge wads of ejaculate on the inside of my cranium (there's a mental picture eh). I love prog because I feel prog is much better at expressing art, but not all prog is inspired art.

I feel that when a great musican sits down and thinks "hmm, I think I'll write a song now" then the result is complete shit like spiral architect. Real art isn't "written", it's discovered as it spews from the penis of the heart/mind. Great song writers don't actually write, they just let the music flow out of them and record it for later use. Mikael doesn't sit down and write, he just plays and every so often he comes up with something cool. Sometimes he writes entire tunes in a few minutes. Either way, it is inspired and it comes from his heart. This is why opeth sounds real and inspired and so incredibly emotional. Dream Theatre sounds like they are trying too hard, if you think too much while writing your mind gets in the way of the art and doesn't allow it to come out. I write drums and poetry and for me the best way to do either is by telling my brain to shut the hell up and just let it flow while being "in the moment" rather than "observing the moment". This is where true art is born. Real ART cannot be manufactured cuz it is a living breathing thing. Attempting to simulate art by "thinking" about it creates crap like dream theatre or uzeb, which, though technically proficient, is less artistic than a blowing leaf in autumn cuz it isn't *real*, it's fake and forced.

I noticed that many great musicians aren't artists (like most music teachers who are so uninspired it's pathetic) and that many great artists aren't musicians. Fortunately for us Mikael is BOTH an artist and a musician and he is extremely good at both and his skill and artistic edge feed on rather than hinder one another.

He's fucking brilliant and such a good player, and that voice, damn! He's not human! ;)

Satori

Hey Satori- Even though I don't agree with you 100%, I want to say I appreciate your last post here, on a philosophical level. Good stuff! Cheers...