OK - here's a band Spiral Architect fans may like: LINEAR SPHERE

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I shall continue pimping this band till people take notice.

Quite possibly, still my pick for debut album of the year, British technical prog metallers Linear Sphere released their debut disc earlier this year, marking the return of heavily jazz-inflected and technically challenging prog metal that immediately reminded me of Spiral Architect in the way they construct some of their riffs and other instrumentation. Though after spinning it for a good seven months, I've also spotted references to some of the more brutal bands such as Watchtower, Meshuggah and Cynic.

One thing that may make it or break it for you regarding Linear Sphere may be their singer whose delivery is incredibly unique and definitely an acquired taste. The guy goes from nice clean vocals to semi-growled (though not in an Opeth or Death kind of way) to shuddering bassy tones. The guys at the Meshuggah forum were divided about his voice. Some thought he was cool (as I do) and some thought he sucks. Then again, their opinion on Oyvind is exactly the same.

I find this really interesting as Watchtower, Meshuggah and Spiral Architect must be among the top bands whose vocalists get so much crap from prog fans. While I've never been a big fan of Watchtower vocals myself, I thought they fit the music pretty well and I would be hard pressed to name a better voice for them.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone's heard of Linear Sphere. They're like a mix between Spiral Architect, Cynic, Watchtower and Meshuggah to me. The guitar player is insane and teaches at a guitar school in London. The drummer is crazy too, as is the bass guy who recalls Dysrhythmia in spots.

Here are some links you may want to check out:

Linear Sphere
My detailed review of Reality Dysfunction
Interview with Linear Sphere guitarist

NP: Lord Belial - The Seal of Belial

Yeah the singer is Dutch but they all reside in London. You can get the disc directly from the band. Hardebran is also a Belgian label, so I think they might ship to their neighbour country with no problems.

batmura said:
Yeah the singer is Dutch but they all reside in London. You can get the disc directly from the band. Hardebran is also a Belgian label, so I think they might ship to their neighbour country with no problems.

but i like to hear more before i buy it then those 2 samples. Why don't the find a prober distro or record deal? Inside out of something like that?

You really don't think signing with Inside Out when you play the most extreme form of technical prog metal is that easy, do you?

There are sampels you can check out at their website. If you like them, you'll probably like the album too.

I didn't really like the full song they have for download on their site: "Father Pyramid"... nothing really special or new about the music... though the solos are really very intrancing :) .... I also listened to the "Reality Dysfunction Medley"... some stuff are pretty promising for sure... but nothing really out of this world... the second song was pretty cool in my opinion.. other than that, nothing was really worth my attention...
It is really weird, but don't these guys have the song list of "Reality Dysfunction" on their site... i mean how the hell are we supposed to know the names of the songs on the album... or how many songs are actually on the album?? :err:

The band is awesome. Meshuggah is definitely apparent, as well as some Cynic. The singer reminds me of Bruce Dickinson, Geddy Lee, and a slew of other people all at once. Sometimes to hilarious and cringe inducing effect. He should stick to the growly voice as that is fairly distinctive and doesn't sound like anyone that I can think of.

That said, I am going to track down this album. Thanks for the heads up.

This band sounds pretty promising, as I've become increasingly more and more into jazz-metal in the last couple months. I'll have to check it out later. My computer is acting screwy right now. I'll give my opinion then.

Cool, but I wouldn't compare them too much to SA. Mainly seems like Meshuggah with hints of those other bands, but that's just from hearing the one song.

Asgeir summed it up pretty well, though I think Meshuggah, for their lack of variety in newer releases, is still stronger than any Meshuggah influenced bands I've come across.

I'll have to look into them more, it's always good to find new bands that don't rely on random noise sampling or pointless drone (I'm looking at you, Sunn O) to differentiate themselves from everyone else.

AceRoccola said:
Cool, but I wouldn't compare them too much to SA. Mainly seems like Meshuggah with hints of those other bands, but that's just from hearing the one song.

Asgeir summed it up pretty well, though I think Meshuggah, for their lack of variety in newer releases, is still stronger than any Meshuggah influenced bands I've come across.

Coprofago check them out, though there latest offering is much more a detachment from there meshuggah stigma, great jazz/fusion moments.

As for linear sphere - great band, i wouldnt say there sound like meshuggah, theres a hint but i feel theres a hint of many a band in linears music. Great none the less. Though its a shame about some of the vocals on the record, sometimes its almost an over the top watchtower which is hard to pull off! But generally one of the best "new" bands around at the moment and definately one of the best albums of last year! I look forward to see what they come up with next :)

I remember listening to these guys and just couldn't stand the vocals. At the same time I was recommended a band called Canvas Solaris who are all instrumental. Technically efficient playing like Cynic meets Gordian Knot/Liquid Tension Experiment. This might be a better choice for people looking for stuff in that vein.

Ahamkara said:
I remember listening to these guys and just couldn't stand the vocals. At the same time I was recommended a band called Canvas Solaris who are all instrumental. Technically efficient playing like Cynic meets Gordian Knot/Liquid Tension Experiment. This might be a better choice for people looking for stuff in that vein.

I don't think either is a "better" choice...more that they each provide something different. Some people might dislike the vocals, but then equally, I've heard a lot of people criticise Canvas Solaris for lacking emotion (I don't agree with either point), so I suppose it's all about what it is that people liked about bands like Cynic in the first place :)

the vocals are odd but fit in their own weird ways in places. its just something you have to take as is and not expect it to be like something else.. comparable to "death" or someone else. theres some cool parts on the 20 minute song.