Spiral Architect in '06

um i heard the dillinger escape plan live and let me tell you: they suck. i dont know what you see in them, but i thought they were one of the worst bands on the gigantour, and there were some seriously horribly bands on that tour.

Jaen said:
um i heard the dillinger escape plan live and let me tell you: they suck. i dont know what you see in them, but i thought they were one of the worst bands on the gigantour, and there were some seriously horribly bands on that tour.
Listen to them on studio recording, and you should understand. First of all, from the gigantour show I went to, the sound was terrible in general. Second, Dillinger is a wicked dissonant and loud band, and a lot of the music is dissonant, fast and noisey creating quite the intensity. I understand if you don't appreciate this, it's an aquired taste, but there is value to it, and the guys in the band are very talented.

nicosanchez said:
PsyOpus is a great band, but that singer deserves his ass being.....

Yeah, I would love to hear a band like that with melodic vocals. Can that even be done? I love dissonance in music but I can't tolerate the hardcore yelling. Death vocals don't bother me at all, but PsyOpus's and DEP's vocals are just too much for me. The day that somebody fuses that music with clean vocals and makes them even the least bit melodic, I'm all over it.

That's what makes Spiral Architect number one in my book. They have a singer with the balls to attempt to SING over their music. It's just another added level of talent. Nothing against the atonal screamers, but it's a lot less work to do that, than it is to find a melody among the chaos, and perform it against the ever shifting meters and feels. Granted PsyOpus is not a technical metal band, and adding a singer would create a new genre, but I want to hear it. Somebody start a band, damn it! Or just ditch your screamer and find a singer before you release your CD, LOL. The challenge has been set.

BTW, if anyone knows of any such band, please enlighten me.

Tom C

Widderslainte said:
Listen to them on studio recording, and you should understand. First of all, from the gigantour show I went to, the sound was terrible in general. Second, Dillinger is a wicked dissonant and loud band, and a lot of the music is dissonant, fast and noisey creating quite the intensity. I understand if you don't appreciate this, it's an aquired taste, but there is value to it, and the guys in the band are very talented.

i dont know man, i tried really hard to listen to them, but they just sucked. singer isn't worth a shit, there was nothing great about the guitarrists, bass player was lame and the same goes for the drummer. being dissonant doesn't equal being good.

to say the truth, none of them seemed to really have any extraordinary talent as you say. but hey, if you enjoy them then by all means, dig in.:cool:

Jaen said:
i dont know man, i tried really hard to listen to them, but they just sucked. singer isn't worth a shit, there was nothing great about the guitarrists, bass player was lame and the same goes for the drummer. being dissonant doesn't equal being good.

to say the truth, none of them seemed to really have any extraordinary talent as you say. but hey, if you enjoy them then by all means, dig in.:cool:
You're wrong, but I'll accept that ;). I mean dissonance does not equal good in the least. But for you guys who hate screaming and growls and such, you guys just don't understand. It's fine, you don't have to understand, some people like it some people don't. But It's got an authenticity to it, an intensity, a certain sense of energy, urgency, that is impossible to accomplish with melodic vocals. Not saying all things should be screams, or that screams take more talent than melodic vocals, they certaintly do not. Screaming and yelling, doesn't have to worry about staying in tune all that much (but it helps when they do, but sometimes it's also cool when they don't). The point is not how much talent it takes, but the aesthetic value. But there are talented screamers out there who are also incredibly talented singers. And they actually choose to do screamy vocals instead because they appreciate that aesthetic value. But some do both. Listen to Mike Patton, and any of his work with Fantomas or Mr. Bungle, that guy is one of the most talented vocalists in the world easily.

Listen to the band (the sawtooth grin) whose CD I uploaded for sharing. (If you downloaded it that is)

Then listen to Dillinger....you might have more appreciation. :wave:

DeaconBlues said:
Listen to the band (the sawtooth grin) whose CD I uploaded for sharing. (If you downloaded it that is)

Then listen to Dillinger....you might have more appreciation. :wave:
Lol, good point, thanks for the download by the way. A local band once played with them and I always wondered what they sounded like. Deffinitely some awsome stuff.