Spiral Architect in '06

DeaconBlues

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2005
AmeriKa
This is most certianly some of the best news i've heard in awhile. A LONG while. Seriously I thought that Architect was going to be a Cynic, and have thought that for awhile now; especially since everytime I looked at the website it looked outdated as anything.

I am unbelievebly excited that not only are they not dead, but that they might have a album out in '06....i'm, i'm really just bumfuddled.

In the past 5 years since ASU, i've only found one modern band who has at all had the skill & mind-blowing (but logical) progressive originality that Spiral Architect demonstrated on ASU. That band is Psyopus, who also are poised to make a second album in '06. (also, to a very slighly lesser degree: Behold..the Artcopus)

ASU made a profound influence on me and I can't wait to hear what might come next. If any of the members ever post on here, i'd love to thank them a thousand fold for the influence ASU has had on me, and I wish them the best of luck in the future.

PsyOpus is a great band, but that singer deserves his ass being..... well, i'm not going to complete that sentence, but you understood, right? LOL. Behold...The Arctopus is aaaaweeeesoooomeeee, too bad that they compose like one song per year, but they're terrific.

PS: I wouldn't expect an ASU follow-up in 2006, probably in 2007. (I hope I'm wrong)

haha oh man, PsyOpus fans. I saw them live once, it was pretty awsome. It's pretty crazy that there are PsyOpus fans on this board haha. Anyway, they draw a lot on influences from bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Converge (who are both absolutely incredible bands in their own right) hence the screaming. However, they do come into their own with the guitarists extremely creative non sequitor guitar playing. Plus seeing them live I actually heard their bassist play, yeah despite the way the recording sounds they have a bassist! but yeah, he's pretty sick too. A very awsome band. But there are a lot of other tech core bands that focus on different things. Like the End is an atmospheric journey into something really strange, and Ion Dissonance is just wicked heavy. I also recomend Into the Moat if you guys are into that kind of stuff.

To me, none of the other modern techniacl bands come close to SA....some of them have great technicality, but they just don't have the same level of feeling and that intangible perfect element that ASU had for me

fragility said:
To me, none of the other modern techniacl bands come close to SA....some of them have great technicality, but they just don't have the same level of feeling and that intangible perfect element that ASU had for me
On the other hand, I think it's really hard to compair something like Dillinger and Spiral Architect. For example, Dillinger is a lot less technical, but a lot more intense, and a lot more angry. The two bands have completely different goals. And in general it's hard to compair screamy tech bands to technical progressive bands.

Over all, Spiral Architect is certainly my favorite extra technical progressive band, but I think Spastic Ink are certainly up there, at least skillwise.

what about Necrophagist??
these guys reek of technicality and musicianship !!
.... i only heard these guys yesterday... and i'm already putting them up there with the big-guns :D

All some great bands....excpet I have lost my copy of the End - Within Dividia and it is really starting to drive me nuts! I'm obsessive about my cd's being in the right place and always put them back in their boxes, but somehow just the cd of it has gone missing :( my only worry is that it might have bene in the cd rom drive of my laptop that broke at work when it broke and maybe i forgot to take it out......but I think they would have told me

You cannot really compare Dillinger with SA, but I think Dillinger have no structure at all, it is just sophisticated noise - thus the intensity.
When I plug in my instrument and push record while tumbling down the stairs, it's also intense.:tickled:

eh dillinger is incredibly structured actually. That's why it sounds so random, the more you structure music the more crazy it sounds. But it's good you agree with me about the comparison issue :p.

Oh and Necrophagist isn't as impressive as you think. I mean, certainly very talented guitar, and it's pretty impressive that the guitarist does vocals, but after listening to it for a while, there's like one or two songs that really kick ass and the rest is, ok. I mean they're impressive, but they don't hold a candle to spiral architect. I mean they aren't even all that rhythmically technical, and they repeat stuff, Spiral Architect does not repeat stuff ;). A good band though, especially when you're in the mood for that stuff, if you like them, you should also check out Spawn of Possession, who also kick serious ass and are in the same vein of technical death metal.

There's (fortunately) a lot of technical death metal bands out there, Spawn Of Possession is one of my favourites, Necrophagist (or should I say M. Suicmez only? He's the one that composes all that stuff) also is a great band. I like his soloing, too YJM inspired for the majority of the people, but since I am an YJM fan, then......
Now, to the point. Since death metal keeps getting brutal and brutal, the only way to get a decent sound to avoid sounding like Mortician, is to improve the skill of the players, and also brutality benefits from complex rythms and structures.
Bottomline: I think that instead of saying "technical death metal" you could say also "modern death metal" (well, bands like Suffocations improved in this area years ago, so it's not sooo modern), since the technicality comes because seeking brutality, not just because they want to be technical. And example of this bands would be Decrepit Birth, Cryptopsy (I know, it's not a new band, but their last cd is awesome), Despised Icon (more brutal death-core style, with Pantera or Sepultura "inspired" parts in their songs), Origin, and a whole other bunch.
At least, this is the way I see it.

Eh, there's lots of music that manages to be super brutal, or at least wicked kick ass and not be very technical at all. Some good death metal examples being Bolt Thrower and Amon Amarth. But in general there's a lot of grindcore out there that's absolutely amazing, and really isn't all that technical, it just kicks ass (and it's really heavy too). Like Circle of Dead Children and Leng Tch'e. But there is plenty of semi-technical, not like really technical, but like Pig Destroyer, Nasum and Brutal Truth are all excellent examples of fantastic bands that find an in between that is of untold crushing power.
Over all though, specifically for death metal, the more technical stuff does tend to be a little better. But it's not a necessity.

haha oh man, PsyOpus fans. I saw them live once, it was pretty awsome. It's pretty crazy that there are PsyOpus fans on this board haha. Anyway, they draw a lot on influences from bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and Converge (who are both absolutely incredible bands in their own right) hence the screaming. However, they do come into their own with the guitarists extremely creative non sequitor guitar playing. Plus seeing them live I actually heard their bassist play, yeah despite the way the recording sounds they have a bassist! but yeah, he's pretty sick too. A very awsome band. But there are a lot of other tech core bands that focus on different things. Like the End is an atmospheric journey into something really strange, and Ion Dissonance is just wicked heavy. I also recomend Into the Moat if you guys are into that kind of stuff.

Haha, yes Psyopus is amazingly flawless live. I myself drove 4.5 hours to see them play; amazing band & great guys. Dillinger & Converge are essential and excellant in their own right of course, but thats more about destroying with the added bonus that they can be very technical, than being really technical & using technicality to destroy.

Tech-core, for all the derogatory beef it gets, really is one of the last things within the incredibly broad term 'metal' that is really innovating anymore these days. All the bands mentioned here so far are all excellant save for Into the Meh. However, since we are name dropping some good bands that are tech in some way or the other, the shortlived band the sawtooth grin is one that really deserves more appreciation as well as Crowpath. If any of you haven't heard the sawtooth grin (the cd is now OOP) I can upload it easily.

One last band i'd give props to for innovating on every album in one way or another (though I myself didn't much care for the last one) is Between the Buried and Me. Talk about your 'not-repeating' as it were.

Oh &
Over all, Spiral Architect is certainly my favorite extra technical progressive band, but I think Spastic Ink are certainly up there, at least skillwise.

Agreed very much so, very talented guy. If you did him, also check out www.myspace.com/sleepterror if you don't know that guy already.

Yeah I've heard Sleep Terror, those guys are out of control. Extremely awsome stuff, I always want to tell friends about them but forget their name haha.

DeaconBlues said:
One last band i'd give props to for innovating on every album in one way or another (though I myself didn't much care for the last one) is Between the Buried and Me. Talk about your 'not-repeating' as it were.

Agreed! Great band :)