Lopex, Portnoy, and drums

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Many say Lopez is a great drummer... and he is. He is the epitome of groove in metal. He's smooth, classy, great lazy-hand, ghost notes... He always thinks of the song, plays simple or more technical depending on the situation... He suits Opeth's music perfectly (I'm sure he is one of the main reasons why my favorite Opeth albums are Still Life and after). But he's no technical genius, and he's no Richard Cristy with his kit (now THAT's a death metal drummer - Sound of Perseverence, anyone?).
Many say Portnoy is a great drummer... and he is. He is extremely tight and technical, he has an excellent understanding of rhythm theory, he manipulates time signatures, tempos, poyrhythms with an ease that is admirable. He also plays within the context of the song and the band: they are Dream Theater, they are THE prog metal band. That's why we even know about them. But he's not the most skilled or complex drummer either (Asgeir Mickelson in Spiral Architect takes the cake for most complex, yet interesting, drums, hands down).

So why fight? They're both great in their own bands, in their own ways.

What I want to know, are there any drummers that could play like both of them? I'm in a progressive metal band in Montreal (we're sort of a cross between Opeth, Symphony X, Nevermore, Death, and Dream Theater) and we've been looking for the right drummer for 3 years.

If anyone knows a kick-ass prog/metal drummer in the area (or who is into travelling :D) Please contact me, if they're into any of the bands I mentioned, they'll love playing with us.

Hey, catch y'all later!
Opeth rules!