"One song album" Recommendations?

deliverance

ecnareviled
Aug 12, 2003
NJ, usa
www.audioscrobbler.com
I'm really into albums that have either one long song, or are broken down into several tracks, but the album is meant to flow as one track. Examples:

Edge of Sanity - Crimson 1
Edge of Sanity - Crimson 2
Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Meshuggah - I
Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within

Genre doesn't matter, as long as the music is good, (i.e. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, not metal, but still awesome)

Any recommendations for albums of similar nature? Thanks guys.

sknight said:
I don't know if this is your thing, but Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a two disc with a 42 minute song on the second.
i would say "a change of seasons" is more of a "one-song album" than six degrees. that album seems more like a bunch of different, but related, songs.

sknight said:
I don't know if this is your thing, but Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is a two disc with a 42 minute song on the second.

I have it.

dorian gray said:
i would say "a change of seasons" is more of a "one-song album" than six degrees. that album seems more like a bunch of different, but related, songs.

I have it.

BurningSky said:
Dredg - El Cielo

Yeah, I've heard they're good, gotta check them out.

NineFeetUnderground said:
close to the edge is 3 tracks. not one single track album.

That song is half the album, and divided up into several sections like i thought he was asking...but now that i re-read what he said I guess maybe it doesn't fit...

ps. Im a fan of DT, yet absolutely cannot stand the second disc of Six Degrees...right from the opening overture, its everything i loathe about DT packaged into one neat little disc

After reading about them in the prog thread I downloaded Nektars 'Remeber the Future pt 1 and 2'. Its two songs but it might aswell be one, pretty cool stuff

Is Green Carnation any good? I've thinkin about getting that 1 song album for a while...

Manowar has an album that is about Achilles and kinda falls into what you are looking for... i cannot remember the album for the life of me, (so what if google is .3sec away, im lazy) but its really a 7 part song....

evereve - seasons [10 tracks linked to each other]
all the devil doll stuff, except for eliogabalus which is a 2 [loooong] tracks album
porcupine tree - moonloop [unedited improvisation - a 40 minutes version of moonloop]

KalidonTX said:
Manowar has an album that is about Achilles and kinda falls into what you are looking for... i cannot remember the album for the life of me, (so what if google is .3sec away, im lazy) but its really a 7 part song....
The album that you're too lazy to look up the name for is THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL. "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy in Seven Parts" is the first track, and clocks in just under 30 minutes. There are seven other songs on the album, so I guess it doesn't classify as a "One song album," but anyway... The song is pretty much the embodiment of metal excess, for better or for worse, much like TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS by Yes was seen by many to be an exercise in overindulgence (although I happen to like that album). Manowar's song features over-the-top vocals and theatrics , long extended instrumental passages, neverending soloing from each member and hell, it's about the Trojan War. You can't get more "metal" than that. :)

My real problem was that I have it on tape... and the tapes are in a box 180 miles away. Anyways Manowar was my fav metal band before Opeth, and since posting a week ago about how i havent listened to them since Opeth, ive went back and listened to them on MP3... (mp3s bought off of Manowar a few years ago) yea, go go Crown and the Ring!!

John Gargo said:
The album that you're too lazy to look up the name for is THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL. "Achilles: Agony and Ecstasy in Seven Parts" is the first track, and clocks in just under 30 minutes. There are seven other songs on the album, so I guess it doesn't classify as a "One song album," but anyway... The song is pretty much the embodiment of metal excess, for better or for worse, much like TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS by Yes was seen by many to be an exercise in overindulgence (although I happen to like that album). Manowar's song features over-the-top vocals and theatrics , long extended instrumental passages, neverending soloing from each member and hell, it's about the Trojan War. You can't get more "metal" than that. :)