Top Ten Albums That Inspired/Touched You

1. Micael Jackson - Dangerous (got me into music)
2. Nirvana - Nevermind (got me into rock)
3. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (got me into the more experimental side of rock)
4. Metallica - Master Of Puppets (Got me into metal)
5. Opeth - Blackwater Park (got me into growling vocals/underground metal etc)
6. Emperor - IX Eqilibrium (not their best, but it showed me how much atmosphere one band could produce)
7. Opeth - Still Life (Greatest piece of music ever)
King Crimson - Red (Got me into progreeive rock)
8. Al DiMeola - Flesh On Flesh (got me into jazz/fusion)

Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine - Biomech:

-got me into melodic mellow stuff at at time when I was only into Pantera, Sepultura, Manson,....

Opeth - Still Life

-my first Opeth album. also the first with death vox...which lead me to other death metal bands.

Camel - Rajaz

-got me into Progressive Rock

Soundgarden - Superunknown

-my first CD! I always thought the first track, Let Me Drown, was extremely heavy. hah! but I still like it.
-

A mixture of everything really - prog/industrial/metal/ambient:

1. RUSH - Signals

Totally hated it at first. But grew on me over a long period of time.

2. SKINNY PUPPY - Vivisectvi

Turned me on to industrial music and completely changed my view of the world in the process.

3. QUEENSRYCHE - Rage for Order

An amazing blend of metal/gothic-industrial styles. Years later, I am still shocked. I am really looking forward to the remaster this May.

4. SKINNY PUPPY - Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse

Puppy's sound engineer Dave Ogilvie was also working with Queensryche on the Rage album at the same time. You really can tell where QR got their influences from here.

5. DEATH - Human

The ULTIMATE statement in tech/death metal period.

6. METALLICA - Ride The Lightning

Who HASN'T been influenced by them?

7. STEVE ROACH - DREAMTIME RETURN

My first intro to ambient music which really broadened my musical horizons after listening to this album.

8. GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR! - F#A# Infinity

This was GYBE's finest hour and ever since they've just gone downhill.

9. HYBRYDS - THE RITUAL SHOULD BE KEPT ALIVE (Part 1)

A belgian ethnic ritual/trance band with 24 minutes of pure ecstacy on this single track record.

10. TREY GUNN - 3rd STAR

King Crimson's chapman stick player solo record. Comparable to Sean Malone's Gordian Knot album, only this came first.

1. Steve Vai: Flex-Able
2. Opeth: Deliverance
3. Opeth: Blackwater park
4. Peppino d'Agostino: Every Step Of The Way
5. Slipknot: Slipknot
6. Freak Kitchen: Spanking Hour
7. Foo Fighters: One By One
8. Joe Satriani: Joe Satriani
9. Van Halen: Fair Warning
10. Soundgarden: Superunknown

not in any particular order
1. Alice in chains - Unplugged album
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park
3. Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
4. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
5. Katatonia - Tonight's Decision
6. Deftones - Around The Fur (yes, deftones...)
7. Metallica - And Justice For All
8. Sepultura - Chaos AD
9. Iron Maiden - Live After death
10. Chthonic - Drift out To Misery

In chronological order...

1. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Carried me through a lot of teenage years. How many times did I burn with the child of the damned?! Not the cathartic experience it once was, but I still love it due to the energy.

2. Yes - Going for the One

Yes was my favorite band in my late teens; this album contains the first truly beautiful music I had ever heard. I would shiver in awe listening to tracks like "Turn of the Century" and "Parallels".

3. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Here's the one band of my youth that I absolutely loathe now. This one pulled my heart out onto my sleeve, setting it up to be crushed later. Ah, the "romantic" years...

4. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

...and enter the drug years. _Lamb_ remains my #1 album, and I'm still not sure why. The album is far from flawless, other groups cover the emotions, humor, and musicianship better than Genesis does here, but somehow the way they ambitiously pulled it all together really connects.

5. Skinny Puppy - Cleanse, Fold & Manipulate

_Mind_ got played more often, but the original mix of "Addiction"... >>brr<<. The first music to really tap into the sickness inside me. Puppy (temporarily) became my favorite band, and I'm still a fan of industrial music to this day.

6. Godflesh - Pure

Mid-afternoon on a summer's day, I fell asleep to "Spite" and "Mothra", and woke up in the middle of "I Wasn't Born to Follow". It was a Red Room moment, and totally changed how I lived my life. This list could be overrun with Godflesh albums, but I restrained myself to the one that introduced me to my favorite band.

7. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

MBV is the greatest influence on my own music composition. When the final refrains of "Soon" fade away, I envision a swarm of pixies, after giving me a glimpse of the magical world I dream about, are leaving me behind in this awful world. I've listened to this album ~100 times, and it breaks my heart every time.

8. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

All I can say is, when you move from the Northeast to the Northwest, black metal loses a lot in the translation. Not the same without snow driving through the barren trees; now listening to BM just makes me ache for home even more.

9. Autechre - Tri Repatae

Did you know that machines can make music? Did you?

10. Main - Hz

Damn, there is a lot of great electronic music out there, but this is the one that evokes the most images and emotions from within me.

Painful omissions: Helmet - Meantime; Ministry - TMiaTTtT; Mahler - 5th & 6th Symphonies; Public Enemy - ITaNoMtHUB; Metallica - And Justice For All...; Techno Animal - Reentry; Joy Division - Closer; Boards of Canada - Geogaddi; Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas; Anthony Philips - Slow Waves, Soft Stars; David Sylvian - various; and so on and so on and so on...

fleshhead said:
6. Godflesh - Pure

Mid-afternoon on a summer's day, I fell asleep to "Spite" and "Mothra", and woke up in the middle of "I Wasn't Born to Follow". It was a Red Room moment, and totally changed how I lived my life. This list could be overrun with Godflesh albums, but I restrained myself to the one that introduced me to my favorite band.
that's a good one!! :headbang: both Streetcleaner and Pure are so damn heavy. what do you mean "Red Room moment"?? (i want to have one, too) :)

Here are 10 albums/artists that really inspire me in no particular order:
1. Nils Petter Molvaer/Robyn Schulkowsky: Hastening Westward
2. Opeth: Anything
3. John Zorn: Madness, Love, and Mysticism
4. Porcupine Tree: Up the Downstair
5. Kronos Quartet: Black Angels and Ghost Opera
6. Ulver: Perdition City and Theme's From William Blake's...
7. Novembre: Classica and Novembrien Waltz
8. Arnold Schoenberg's Transfigured Night
9. Jaco Pastorius: Jaco Pastorius and Word of Mouth
10. Anal Cunt: 40 More Reasons to Hate Us (Just kidding! However, I do own this album and three others by these bastards!)

i can give you the top 5 , but hell , top 10 is impossible

MAYH , tool Lateralus (they share the top)
moonspell SIN
Anathema eternity
And god ol paradise lost`s ONe SEcond

Opeth - Blackwater Park: My first Opeth album. I have many memories tied to this album, fond and otherwise. I love the images it conjures in my mind; it reminds me of home. This album haunts me.

Opeth - Orchid: My second Opeth album. Similar to Blackwater Park as far as memories and all, just not quite as strong.

Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse: My third Opeth album. This album rips my heart out, and I always listen to it when I feel like I'm becoming attached to a girl. I always have the feeling like things won't turn out right (and they never have), and this album just speaks for me. The pain, love, longing and anger are perfect in this album. This has a special place in me.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth: It's possible that I'm more attached to BG than any other band. This album got me through some rough times, and was my first album by them. There's too much to say about them here, so I won't type any more.

Symphony X - V: I have some very good memories tied in with this album (my first SyX). It reminds me of a good friend of mine, and of home.

1. Pink Floyd - The Division Bell - my introduction to PF, which led to me to explore there entire back-catalogue.
2. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - the title track will always be my favourite song ever!
3. Opeth - Blackwater Park - whilst Still Life was my introduction to the band, BP was the album which really got me hooked, especially as the band had teamed up with someone from another band that I discovered at the same time as Still Life, no prizes for guessing who.......
4. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream - A friend played Even Less to me, and I thought I better check the band out, the album blew me away, and I still remember the huge grin that spread across my face the first time I heard Tinto Brass.
5. Anathema - Alternative 4 - whilst Judgement is the overall better album, Alt 4 is the album that got me into Anathema, Fragile Dreams is still a classic track, even though it's been played to death.
6. Faith No More - King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime - a wonderful mix of laid back, Jazz styled tracks and all out aggressive numbers.
7. Aerosmith - Get A Grip - my first Aerosmith album, and by far their best.
8. The Wildhearts - P.H.U.Q. - a stupidly mad, happy album by a band who aren't afraid to do their own thing.
9. Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists.... - somewhere underneath that cacophony of noise lays something really special.
10. Therion - Theli - after being brought up by classical/opera loving parents, it was great to discover a band who perfectly merged that style with metal.

1. Opeth - Morning Rise
2. Yngwie Malmsteem - Trilogy
3. Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn
4. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
5. Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
6. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
7. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
8. Gamma Ray - Land Of The Free
9. Gamma Ray - Sigh No More
10. Vader - The Ultimate Incantation

In no order.....

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Morningrise
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Tool - Aenima
Tool - Lateralus
In Flames - Colony
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Neurosis - Sun That Never Sets

random listing -

Death Angel - Act III
Pink Floyd - Animals
Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Fates Warning - No Exit
Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
Rush - Caress of Steel
Led Zeppelin II
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

1. ...and justice for all - metallica
2. Still life - opeth
3. Dreaming neon black - nevermore
4. mellon chollie and the infinite sadness - smashig pumpkins
5. Dusk...and her embrace - cradle of filth
6. Hysteria - def leppard
7. Aenima - tool
8. frogstomp - silverchair
9. roots - sepultura
10. prometheus: the discipline of fire and demise - emperor

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine
Devin Townsend - Infinity
Emperor - Prometheus : The Disciple Of Fire And Demise
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Symphony X - V
Ark - Burn The Sun
Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Pain Of Salvation - The perfect Element Part 1
Porcupine Tree - In absentia

Not all my favs. but they are very important for me

Forgot 1 , so let's go with Megadeth - Cryptic Writings ( first 'metal' record i heard )

emperor - ix equilibrium
amon amarth - the avenger
pearl jam - ten
in flames - colony
yngwie malmsteen - concerto suite blah blah blah #1
fear factory - demanufacture
hatebreed - preserverance(lyrically, not musically)
bad religion - stranger than fiction
pennywise - full circle
red hot chili peppers - blood sugar sex magic

well,its hard but some albums are all on the 1st place...
it all depends on atmosphere:
1.Death:The sound of Perseverance
2.Death:Symbolic
3.Opeth:Morningrise
4.Opeth:Orchid
5.Satyricon:Nemess Divina
6.Emperor:nonus equilibrium
7.Burzum:filosofem
8.in flames:black ash inheritance,colony
9.in flames:lunar strain,subterranean
10.black sabbath:sabbath bloody sabbath