How do you rotate between Opeth albums?

A Reason To Sing

The tomato is a fruit
Nov 28, 2005
Bay Area, California U.S.
Opeth is one of the very few bands that has my apreciation for all of their work. I mean all the bands I listen to get major praise for their albums, but Opeth's work is consistant, and it's just something really positive and beautiful.

I was wondering how you guys listen to your albums? Do you rotate between albums when your in the mood for any one of them?

For instance, I've been going crazy to MorningRise this entire week, and I love it. I've heard those five songs a slew of times now, and I can probably sing them off the top of my head.

Advent...and The Night And The Silent Water. Great music. :worship: :headbang:

np: Blackwater Park.

I don't rotate per se, since I listen to a huge eclectic variety of stuff. Whenever I'm in an Opeth mood, I put on one of their albums. :)

For some reason I keep going back to Blackwater Park. That is just a perfect album to me. And I often listen to Ghost Reveries and Damnation too, especially Damnation when I want to be relaxed

Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Damnation
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life

and then sometimes Morningrise. I hardly listen to Orchid or Deliverance.

I usually listen to Deliverance. I don't know why.

I only listen to BWP when I've listened to Deliverance first.

Then usually I listen to either Still Life or MAYH.

After that its either Damnation or Ghost Reveries.

I only listen to Orchid and Morningrise if I start with Orchid first. Then, I listen to the rest.

Weird combinations, I know...

Well, I was thinking about starting a thread about this an hour ago...Really !

Now I have all Opeth's CeeDee's and am pretty familiar with them, my difficulty is deciding on which one to play next :(

I have a six cd changer as part of my modest Hi-Fi set up loaded with...

MR
MAYH
SL
BWP
De- liv-er-ence
GR

If I have time to listen, I set the machine to play em all from MR to GR but I have trouble choosing a single one to play.

My current fav is Deliverence but my favourite has changed many times...

What an amazing band, I never had a problem like this b4 I discovered them. :Spin:

i generally start with some fromt morningrise, then move onto some still life, then BWP and from then on its random

Generally speaking, I put my Opeth tracks in a playlist. I have my entire cd collection ripped onto my computer and I synchronize the tracks that I want onto my MP3/WMA Player. I can usually fit 100-105 songs; half is heavy, and the other half is light. I usually have a lot of Opeth on either side, and when I'm in the mood for heavier music, I turn to all of their heavier sounds; the same can be said for their lighter sounds.

I also tend to get cravings for certain songs at certain times, so that constitutes a lot of my Opeth-listening.

^^ Mmm that sounds good although I don't like music coming out of my PC. :( sounds too electric.

I have in storage one of those Kenwood 200 disc cd players, I just hit random and it chooses for me. :)

Must dig it out when the weather warms up in the UK.

Nice thread Reason... Thanks.

Playing MAYH :D

dcat said:
^^ Mmm that sounds good although I don't like music coming out of my PC. :( sounds too electric.

I have in storage one of those Kenwood 200 disc cd players, I just hit random and it chooses for me. :)

Must dig it out when the weather warms up in the UK.

Nice thread Reason... Thanks.

Playing MAYH :D

No problem. :)

It depends on where I am.

Orchid is for trips to the grocery store (I go through the forest to get there.)
Morningrise and MAYH are special ocasion only. (I like to have silence when listening to these.)
The rest are randomly chosen.
Until I can get off my Vintersorg binge.... :)

yesterday Friday, I had all the day only for me... I'm in summer vacations so I have nothin to do at all, and I played the whole OPETH discography in a row, starting from "Orchid" and finishing with "Ghost Reveries".... I sat in my sofa, saw lots of football games in mute while listening album after album... damn, I enjoy OPETH so much.

Man, lately Deliverance and Ghost Reveries have taken over my collection. Most of the time however, I try to space it out so I don't get tired of an album by simply just choosing one at random and then not listening to it again until after I have gone through the rest of them.

Mumblefood said:
one easy way is to place an album in every corner of the room, stand in the middle, and start spinning.

actually, the best way to do it is putting all the cd's on the floor, lay down on them and start spinning like a crazy guy, you can also LOL to make the experience much better.... yes, that's the best way to rotate between opeth albums!!! :erk: