Top Ten Albums That Inspired/Touched You

Carcass - Heartwork(My first metal album)
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Dissection - Storm of the Lights bane
The Crown - Deathrace King
Death - Live in L.A
Amon Amarth - Once sent from the Golden hall
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Terror 2000 - Slaughterhouse Supremacy
Myrkskog - Deathmachine

Hmm, there is too many really to list, so i'll put down some of the important ones here:

Opeth - Morningrise - I'll never forget when a friend from work told me it was my mission to listen to this album over the weekend. OMG, never have I been touched by music until I heard this. It was absolute perfection. Each track was like a grand story, each musical note was the language of gods. As you can tell, this album means a lot to me.

Earth Crisis - Breed the Killers - So much raw emotion in this album. I listen to it whenever I need to kick start my day. Every track on here gets me all pumped up. I love it!

Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace - My first ever 'black metal' album. I got a chance to sample Haunted Shores, and after that history was made. I was sucked in. I was in love with the way screaming and growling were mixed in with classical influences. It was the way music should be heard by all.

Radiohead - Kid A - There is something about this album that just takes me away. I can always be assured that when this album comes on, I am going to be relaxed.

John Frusciante - Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a Tshirt + Smile From the Streets You Hold - Never, in all my life, have I heard such raw emotion put onto a cd. This album WON'T cheer you up if you feel down, it'll be there for you. These two albums were my soundtrack during some very harsh moments in my life. All acoustic tracks recorded with a 4-track recorder. You owe it to yourself to listen to these two albums. You will NOT be let down. I gurantee it.

I dont know if one can really pick 10 great albums, but here's a few that i love and still listen to:

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime still the best album for me
Megadeth Peace Sells and Rust in Peace
Slayer- Reign in Blood
At the Gates Slaughter of the Soul
Symphony X- Divine Wings and V
Therion- Vovin and Deggial
Metallica Justice- Master of Puppets
Testament- Legacy Gathering
Labyrinth- Return to Heaven Denied, for some reason I just love this.
In Flames- The Jester Race

Beatles - The White Album- its not metal but hey it still doenst get much better in the song writing department.

Hmm, let's see.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Inifinite Sadness
This was the first album I ever bought, so it brings a lot of old memories with it, plus it's beautifully crafted.
Nirvana - Unplugged
The best live performance ever, and a great piece of music.
Tool - Lateralus
This album is just beautiful, and after listening to it, nothing else matters. Seventy plus minutes of bliss.
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Very intense and emotional music. And you are just like them all, stained by the names of fathers...
nine inch nails - The Downward Spiral
This album bursts out with aggresion most of the time, yet comes out with some of the most soothing pieces of music out there (A Warm Place).
The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Very emotional stuff, very good for a melancholic mood.
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Not exactly a personal connection, but the music is beautiful and it succeeds in telling a great story.
The Crow Soundtrack
My favorite movie of all time, and this soundtrack contains some of my favorite songs.
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Another Pumpkins favorite.
Sublime - Sublime
Some great songs on this one, also brings back memories.

These aren't in order of importance, but just a list of 10:

1.Nirvana - Bleach
2.Metallica - Master of Puppets
3.Opeth - My arms, your Hearse
4.Dan Swano - Moontower
5.Tool - Ænema

Damn, I cant even think of 10. I would probably just list other Opeth albums.

I'll just name TEN earth shattering releases:
1 IRON MAIDEN-NUMBER OF THE BEAST
2-DEATH-LEPROSY
3-MORBID ANGEL-ALTERS OF MADNESS
4-SLAYER-REIGN IN BLOOD
5-OPETH-MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE
6-METALLICA-MASTER OF PUPPETS
7-MY DYING BRIDE-TURN LOOSE THE SWANS
8-NILE-BLACK SEEDS OF VENGEANCE
9-EMPORER-1X EQULIBRIUM
10-AMORPHIS-TALES OF A THOUSAND LAKES
there are sooo many more influential CD's but that would take all night.. -l-

I don't know if I can do this...and I'm sure this list is not by any chance definite, for there are more albums I will surely remember later.

There are many many albums that have gotten me through some incredibly rough and strange times in my life, but these are the ones I can safely say have touched me deeper than anything else, in no particular order (you can tell I'm not a tr00 metal devotee right away):

Nirvana-In Utero
Possibly one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard. It was also the first CD I ever got, it was a present. But I was only able to appreciate it about 3 years ago, during some of the most depressing moments of my life

Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Also one of the first CDs I ever had. Rather simple, but the songs just ooze brilliance. Mayonaise, Today, Disarm, Silverfuck...words cannot describe my love for this album.

Pink Floyd- Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Syd Barret was a genius. Simple as that. It really shows how far Floyd would've gotten with him...not that Waters' era wasn't as great, just different. I love this album.

Radiohead- The Bends
Contains some of the most beautiful songs to my ears, and most of them hold great significance to me. I won't bother going into the details of how I relate to it, saying it's brilliant should suffice. The songs Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, High and Dry and especially Street Spirit (Fade Out) will be treasured in my heart forever.

Radiohead- OK Computer
The first Radiohead album I ever bought. I'll simply say it's one of the most soothing and beautiful music I've ever had the pleasure of buying. The songs 'The Tourist' and 'Let Down' are probably my highlights.

Radiohead- Kid A
This is the second Radiohead CD I ever bought, and I was actually expecting it to be disappointing, thanks to all the media junk I had heard. I was in awe once all the 43+ minutes of music were done. I couldn't stop listening..I loved it instantly. Amazing, brilliant, enough said.

Tool- Ænema
Ahhh.....the first Tool CD I ever heard. I found it on the back of a CD rack my cousin had given to my brother. I was captivated by the "freaky eye" in the front cover. I listened and thought it was interesting. Once the song "H." came on, I was awestruck. I knew I'd become a fan soon. There was no point fighting it, Tool had touched my soul. The songs Pushit and Third Eye and of course, H. are beyond words.

Tool- Lateralus
I bought it on release day (actually, my mom did). I was at a friend's house working on a project, when I called my mom to remind her to bring me a copy of this album "Se llaman TOOL..T-O-O-L...Lateralus". She had to drive to another country (actually, the US is 15 minutes away..we live in the border :p ) to get it. She went to pick me up at my friend's house, and gave it to me as soon as I got inside the car. I listened to it nonstop on the way home and upstairs, in my room, with the lights out. I stopped listening once Faaip De Oiad was over. Tool officially became my favorite band (Opeth and Radiohead share that spot
wink.gif
)

Opeth- Blackwater Park
A good friend of mine (lives in Australia, and I met him on the internet) reccomended this band called "Opeth" the night of my birthday. "Download Dirge For November". I did. I was enamoured with this song (I am aware it's from BWP)...Mikael's mourning was so touching. After about 4 days, I had the whole album downloaded (I now have it the legal way, no flaming :yuk:), and I stopped listening to anything but Opeth. Also, I became a lot more open to metal.

Opeth-Morningrise
I'm tired of typing, so I'll just say this, along with Damnation and Still Life are my favorite albums at this moment. Enough said, enough typed...wooh.

Opeth- Damnation
Read above

Opeth-Still Life
Read above (damnit)

OK so I posted 12....:headbang:.

*Honorable mentions*
NIN-Downward Spiral, The Fragile
Opeth- Deliverance
Smashing Pumpkins- Gish, Machina
Nirvana- Unplugged
Caifanes- El Diablito

In no specific order....

1. Aurore Rien - Sedative for the Celestial Blue- mostly intrumental but at times has soft vocals. Its music that brings the emotion, or music just to relax to.

2. Joe Satriani - The Extremist - 1st album I heard by the master musician...it opened a world to music I never considered...especially the guitar work.

3. Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll - The album that introduced me to heavier music. Listened to this one for a long time.

4. Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction - not much to say here other than, one wicked album with some wicked riffs.

5. Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood - metal with a southern twist, fantastic stuff, vocals are prime! Pure blood pumping riffs, great to listen to anytime.

6. Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears - an album I grew up with...my mom listened to it all the time, so it rubbed off on me.

7. Opeth - Blackwater Park - 1st album I heard by this band, so I owe this album the credit for introducing me to the world of Opeth.

8. Karma to Burn - Almost Heaven - What instrumental heavy metal should always sound like...its one hella sweet ride, check it out.

9. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet - simply some of the most amazing music I have ever heard...again he introduced me to a new world of music...made me realize good music stretches far between what I had though of before.

10. Boston - just a great low key, chill out band...the guitar work is amazing.

Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
The Offspring - Smash
My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
Down - NOLA
Savatage - all of them
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath/Paranoid/Vol.4
Iron Maiden - Powerslave/Number of the Beast
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Dearly Beheaded - Chamber of One
Winter's Bane - Heart of A Killer
BonJovi - New Jersey
White Lion - Pride
Louis Armstrong's greatest
Testament - Low
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
Tori Amos - Boys For Pele
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction/Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Wow... this is a tough question...

1. Pain of Salvation - "The Perfect Element Pt. 1"
No album has affected me the way this has... the first time I heard it, I knew I had entered a new musical world... it's breathtaking... I was entranced by it... I still listen to it almost every day... it's a masterpiece.

2. Evergrey - "In Search of Truth"
I actually discovered this on the same day as "The Perfect Element"! What a GREAT day! Dark, heavy, brooding... it's a beautiful work.

3. Symphony X - "V"
My first Symphony X cd. I listened to this for the first time while on a public bus. It just has so much energy... and is such a rich and complex work. It really made my head spin.

4. Ark - "Burn the Sun"
A wonderful album that fuses the best elements of today's modern progressive metal and the classic ideals of yesteryear. It's really an exciting release.

5. Anathema - "Judgement"
This album was a real departure for me... but I couldn't deny the lush beauty of this classic album. It's the ultimate nighttime album for me.

6. Enchant - "Blink of an Eye"
This was my album for the summer of 2002. I had liked Enchant before this album... but this masterpiece really took me by suprise. It's my favorite Enchant album and made Enchant one of my favorite bands. After this, I went back and really rediscovered the rest of their brilliant catalogue. I listened to this album 4 times a day last summer... and it still brings back memories of great times.

7. Angel Dust - "Enlighten the Darkness"
The first few tracks really ripped my head off with their heaviness and aggression. But I was a bit baffled when I heard the 2nd half... which is mostly quite lush, dramatic and beautiful. This was a landmark album for me.

8. Wolverine - "The Window Purpose"
One of the bleakest albums I have ever heard. Very quirky and dark. A brilliant album.

9. Conception - "In Your Multitude"
I can't believe this came out in 1995, and I didn't discover it until 2002! This is one of the finest albums from the 90's. Perfect melodic metal. The songwriting is genius.

10. Porcupine Tree - "In Absentia"
I'm a latecomer to PT. This gorgeous album blew me away. I am now a PT fanatic.

Gonna add a couple more

11. Zero Hour - "The Towers of Avarice"
Wow! This album is one of the most technical, brutal, heavy and dark things I have ever heard! Erik Rosvald is a vocal god. Amazing album.

12. Devin Townsend - "Terria"
Very off-the-wall. Kinda weird and very beautiful. UNIQUE! I drift on clouds when listening to this.

13. Sieges Even - "A Sense of Change"
Released in 1991, I didn't discover it until 10 years after. German progressive rock that is wonderfully delicate.

14. Madsword - "The Global Village"
The best album that nobody has ever heard! It's a shame these musical geniuses disbanded due to "lack of sales"... because this debut full-length from 2000 is a warm and dynamic album. One of my all-time faves. I often think what they would have accomplished if this world didn't suck so much.

Reactions: veil the sky
10 touching albums, eh?

Tool - Lateralus: Reminds me of driving through the middle of nowhere on a brisk fall afternoon, and I love that feeling.

Tool - Aenema: Eulogy is a very moving song for some reason to me...

Opeth - Morningrise: To Bid You Farewell? There is no question on this CD for me....definately one of the most moving CDs I've heard.

Opeth - Deliverance: This CD, though new, reminds me of mountains because I listened to it non-stop on my ski break this year. Deliverance the song has one of the best closes ever IMHO.

Metallica - Ride The Lightning: Best. Song. Ever. Fade To Black.....words cannot describe this song's meaning to me.

Metallica - Master Of Puppets: This CD reminds me of when I visited Auschwitz. That was a terrible place, but a very unique experience that I never want to forget.

Fear Factory - Demanufacture: First death-metallish album I ever listened to and I'll keep it close to my heart.

Nirvana - Nevermind: Such a monumental album with such a unique feel. Reminds me of the sun setting. Very angst-y album, but I get worse from this....

Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing: Such anger, and yet some very touching moments on this album (The Element Of One, My Last Serenade, Just Barely Breathing).

Staind - Break The Cycle: Seems kind of trashy in a way, but I really like Aaron Lewis' voice. I love listening to this song as I fly home from college while the sun is setting. Epiphany is beautiful.

Whew. That's it.

That's a tough question, but I do know a few album that stand out above the respect in terms of influence and impact....

In somewhat of an order...

1)Skid Row-Slave to the grind.

My first "metal" album, which came as a selection of the month from Columbia house. i didn't order it, but It came anyway. It had explicit lyrics, and my mother told me I couldn't listen to it because that kind of music would make me kill myself. Well, i didn't want that, so I never listened to it.

Then, a few weeks later, my curiousity got the best of me(I couldn't understand how music could make you kill yourself, or why someone would listen to it if it could do that), so I asked mother If I could listen to the album, and she said t was fine, as if it was a weird question I guess she forgot what she had told me a few weeks earlier. Anyway, it was fast, heavy, and emotional. From that moment, I knew that I had to find more music similar to it.

2)Slayer-Seasons In The Abyss.

I saw the video for war ensemble, and I heard the lyrics, and thought it was the most irritating, hateful thing I had ever heard. It made me want to break my television, I had such a hatred for it. Maybe it was the whole "War" thing, but I just couldn't stand it. Then one day, i saw the video for seasons in the abyss, and I was totally unprepared for the evil riffing and cool video. I realized it was the same band that had sung the song I hated, but It was so good, I had to pick up the album. That album basically ended up teaching me to play guitar. And I love it now. Even War Ensemble.

3)G'n'r-Use Your Illusions I/II

I was into guitar playing at the time, and I must say, I couldn't quite believe that anyone coud play as great as slash, in terms of emotion. Those album are full of great guitar oments that I'll always love.

4)Opeth-Morningrise.

Back in the early days of the internet, I found two short clips of this album (To bid you farewell and TNATSW), both about 1:30 each. It was unlike anything I had ever heard. It was like a seperate musical; entity that just let my mind wander to new places. Even with only about 3:00 worth of music, I knew that it was the best thing I had ever heard, and that I needed the album, no matter how hard it may be to get. (In Newfoundland, metal discs aren't easy to come by. ) So I quickly made my first internet purchase, and before too long, I was in a new state of musical bliss. I don't think any album has ever had that much effect on me.

5)Opeth-Mayh

this album is beyond description. everything I heard was everything I had ever wanted to hear. It inspired my music in countless ways, and I owe a lot to this album. I has lost none of it's impact over the years, only gained more. I could write a book on this album, so I'll say no more...Fucking graceful!

6)Opeth-Still Life

My former high school teacher sent me on a trip to represent the school in PEI, and I ended up there with a bunch of adults and older people, so I basically had noone to hang out with. I spent a lot of time in my room alone, xcept for when I was presenting. I happened to take along Still life, which I didnt really like, even though I had the album for about 6-7 months at that point. During that time alone, I spent a lot of time listening to the album, and I think that's how I discovered the intricacies within it, and came to appreciate it. I spent an abnormal amount of time listening to music and doing nothing else.As a result, I came to absolutely love this album, and unfortunately, it raised my muscial standards to a new level, so that most music I listened to afterwards seemed mediocre. Absolutely brialliant album. It also inspired a lot of music.

6)Cradle of filth-Crulety and the beast

This album showed me a new level of harmony and dark beauty that came out in a lot of my music. It wasn't complex or extremely origial, but It was something that I had never experienced before. I still think it's one of the greatest metal albums ever. And it was also one of my first experiences with synths that I truly loved.

7)Ulver-Themes....

My first dive into semi-electronic music. It was like a dark journey through some kind of train of thought...The music was exceptionally emotional and hypnotic, and Garms vocals just gave me the chills.The first track (The argument) to me is one of the finest tunes ever crafted. I leave the world for a while when i listen to it...

8)Yes-Close To The Edge

Well, I don't know what to say. this is the epitome of music in it's most well thought-out and touching way.My father loved Yes, and I just went out and bought this album after reading a certain review/interview of it in a guitar magazine. The details of it seemed totally along my train of thinking/musical ideas, and my father loved it, so I figured it was worth checking out.

I was more than unprepared for what hit me. At this point, I was fairly well versed in music, and appreciated the more technaical and deep aspects of music. I heard this, and simply lost track of reality for a while. It was far beyond any music I had heard before, and It just took me away. There were so many little intricacies, so many great riffs, and the songs were such well-constructed journeys that I forgot about all other music for a while. I've returned to reality somewhat since then (only after hearing Tales from Topographic Oceans though, hehe...), yet I still can't believe when I hear it come from my speakers. It just makes me realize what a sad turn music has taken. Yet it inspires me. One cannot follow the pack, you must make your own path. It's given me a different outlook on life...What I hear in this recording, i can apply to life in some ways. You can go against the grain, and still obtain alevel of greatness that will forever be unmatched...Or at least Yes could..lol...I probably never will, but at least I can always hope to match their greatness!

Can't think of anymore at the moment, but this is long enough as is. I guess the drunkenness makes me ramble.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, listen to Yes and Opeth!

1. Dio - Dream Evil
2. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
3. My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans
4. Edge of Sanity - Purgatory Afterglow
5. Death - Individual Thought Patterns
6. Opeth - Still Life
7. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
8. Metallica - ...And Justice for All
9. Exodus - Bonded By Blood
10. Kreator - Coma of Souls

...and of course the rest of OPETH, Testament, Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Slayer, and all the rest!!!
METAL FOREVER!!

1. Metallica - Kill 'Em All
metallica was the first metal band i really got into, and this album became my favourite of them. Ive drifted away from them now once i had discovered more extreme stuff but still like them.

2. Iced Earth - Days Of Purgatory / Night Of The Stormrider
DoP was an album my friend got and it introduced me into a whole new world of what i thought was extreme stuff at the time (lol). I have also included NotS here because that became my favourite Iced Earth album after i had given them all a listen.

3. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
My favourite maiden song, and album. what more needs to be said :p

4. In Flames - Clayman
First introduction to growly vocals. Since then clayman has become my second least favourite in flames album (no prizes for guessing what the least favourite is :p), but still an important.. 'milestone' if you like.

5. Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
This was the first album i listened to that i didnt like much, or understand much, at first. It is now my favourite album of all time - it introduced me to the concept of maybe not liking something at first but having it grow on you.

6. Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
The first symphonic black metal album i was introduced to (as far as i remember..), and i liked :)

7. Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness
The first black metal album i really liked (of the non-symphonic variety)

8. Opeth - Blackwater Park
the album that introduced me to my favourite band. what more needs to be said?

9. Opeth - Morningrise
This album, for me, took a little while to get into but has since become, in my opinion, the best Opeth album. Altho not my favourite. Best and Favourite are 2 different things :)

10. Opeth - Still Life
This is my favourite opeth album now. Wow.

Opeth - Still Life
Perished - Kark
Thyrfing - Urkraft
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Finntroll - Jaktens Tid
Embraced - Amorous Anathema
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkenss
Within Temptation - The Dance

Shit.... There are so many albums that have touched me
in some way, and they all represent a different era in my
life.... Great thread! Thanks for bringing back some good
memories, and albums! >:eek:)

1. Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

2. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse

3. Anathema - Alternative 4

3. Michael Jackson - Bad (shut up!! ......STOP LAUGHING!!! :Shedevil:)

4. Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes

5. Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down

6. Opeth - ......hmmm ...just opeth!!

7. Europe - The Final Countdown (I SAID SHUT UP!!!!)

8. Rainbow - Live in Germany '76

9. Toto - .....hmmm ...just toto!!

10. Wolverine - The Window Purpose (nice one ProgMetalFan!!!! how good is that album!?!?!?!?)

1. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Iron Maiden - The Number of The Beast
4. Slayer - Reign In Blood
5. Dream Theater - Images & Words
6. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
7. Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
8. Dark Tranquillity - Projector
9. Testament - The Gathering
10. Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

NP: Death - Spirit Crusher