porcupine tree - in absentia
opeth - still life
isis - oceanic
missy higgins - the sound of white
vast - v.a.s.t
nick drake - bryter later
nick drake - pink moon
katatonia - the great cold distance

i've never been RIGHT into the metal side of music but for some reason theres just something about still life that completely grabs me and draws me in. just magical album, prolly my favourite of all time. vast's debut would be very close 2nd i think.

These are not my top ten favourite. They're just amazing albums that have inspired me and i could listen to them over and over again.

1. Opeth - Morningrise
2. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
3. Circus Maximus - Isolate
4. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
5. The Who - Quadrophenia
6. Opeth - Blackwater Park
7. Ayreon - The Human Equation
8. Pink Floyd - Animals
9. Dream Theater - Octavarium
10. Genesis - Nursey Cryme

Listing just ten is a TALL order. But let me see if I can try (These are in no particular order, BTW):

1. Opeth - Damnation. This is not only the album which got me turned onto Opeth, but also proved to me that good music was still being made out there....you just had to hunt to find it.

2. Robert Johnson - Complete Recordings. This album sent chills up my spine the first time I heard it and it still does.

3. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. A perfect album from the first note to the last. Essential listening for everyone on the planet.

4. Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force. Yeah, yeah, yeah...say what you will about YJM. This album opened up a whole new world for me when I first heard it at 17. Not only about guitar playing, but it also introduced me to classical music, for which I will forever be eternally grateful.

5. Opeth - Ghost Reveries. Just pure musical bliss from top to bottom.

6. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. My favorite albums by one of my favorite bands. An album that could never possibly grow old.

7. Andres Segovia - Segovia plays Bach. Oh. My. F'ing. God. If I were forced to only have one CD to listen to for the rest of my life this one could possibly win the title.

8. The Cure - Disentegration. Incredibly atmospheric, evocative and brilliant songwriting.

9. Dream Theater - Images and Words. There are actually a few DT albums I could include (It was a tough call between this one and Awake to be honest). But this one wins out.

10. Mozart's Requiem. If the movements from this piece of music doesn't provoke any sort of emotion out of you then you have no soul.

There are quite a few others I could have listed. Things from Willie Nelsons "Red Headed Stranger" and Springsteens " Nebraska" to Pink Floyds "The Wall" or "Animals" to Yngwie's Concerto for Electric Guitar....not to mention Tool or NIN. But I guess I should stick to just ten.

1. Opeth - Still Life
2. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
3. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
4. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
5. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
6. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
7. Death - The Sound of Perseverance
8. Tool - Undertow
9. Tool - Lateralus
10. Morbid Angel - Covenant

I like how this thread started back in 2002 and it's going again, I didn't even check I might have already posted on this years ago, but here goes again.

1). Fear Factory - Demanufacture
2). Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
3). In Flames - Colony
4). In Flames - Jester Race
5). Bolt Thrower - Mercenary
6). Exodus - Another Lesson in Violence Live
7). Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts
8). Opeth - Still Life
9). Slayer - Reign in Blood
10). Nightwish - Oceanborn

Black Tape for a Blue Girl : A Chaos of Desire
Black Tape for a Blue Girl: Remnants of a Deeper Purity
Dead Can Dance: Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Faith and the Muse: Annwyn, Beneath the Waves
James Newton Howard: The Village (original movie score)
John Williams: Saving Private Ryan (original movie score)
Graeme Revell: The Crow (original movie score not so much the soundtrack)
Type-O Negative: October Rust
Novembers Doom: The Knowing
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

the only Bach guitar (lute) CD I have is John Williams playing the 4 lute suites. which is awesome.

Haven't heard that but John Williams is indeed an awesome guitarist.

Cognitive Intercourse - I like your selections of Robert Johnson and Miles Davis - I could easily have both of those if I was to try and choose 10.

I cant narrow it down its way to hard i think megadeth rust in peace and possibly even peace sells have effected my musical taste for the last 6 years so they would be there i love agaloch ashes against the grain to and MAYH but i cant narrow it down to a list of 10

Metallica - Ride The Lightning - This was my first taste of heavy metal.. I bought this album my freshman year of highschool on a weekend and listened to it all weekend long.. I was entranced by it... It opened doors for greater things to come but this album still can't be beat.

Iron Maiden - Powerslave - I remember buying this album on summer break during the hottest part of the summer... it was a lonely struggle.. like its always been but this album and Iron Maiden in general helped me so much.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace - My first Megadeth album... Turned me into a life-long fan... one of the greatest albums of all time IMO.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain - This album was my first time hearing Mastodon.... and I was simply amazed at the playing and the raw agression they can pump out... not to mention the incredible muscianship and song arrangements... (Crack the Skye is better but it's not as important for me as this)

Opeth - Ghost Reveries - This is and will always be my favorite Opeth album... I think it's pretty much their opus and nothing will ever touch it IMO.. I remember I bought this album and it didnt leave my car's cd player for atleast 3 or 4 months... Would have it blasting at home and blasting in the car at all times... still do most of the time.