Favorite Albums That No One Else Likes

opeth_evan

Brother of Metal
Jul 24, 2003
Let's name some albums that you particulary enjoy that no one else really likes.. they may come from the shame of a good artist's catalogue.. or just a band that no one really ended up enjoying.. here's a few of mine (cowers in a corner).

Iron Maiden - Virtual XI - My first exposure to Iron Maiden, so it has sentimental value I guess. I actually like quite a few songs from here even though Blaze Bailey is kind of a joke and the songs get pretty repetive. I would have gotten a different album to break me in.. but no others were available for purchase at the time.

Misfits - American Psycho - Same reason as above pretty much.. although its still one of my favorite Misfits albums.

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray - I don't know how many people actually liked it.. but I don't think very many.. perhaps just under-rated

Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill - My favorite Pantera album.. not really anyone elses.

Mercyful Fate - 9 - I don't know. I just like it, but not many other MF fans do.

Rush - Power Windows
Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night
Borknagar - Self Titled
Yes - Going For The One
In Flames - Reroute To Remain
Joni Mitchell - Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Unicorn - Ever Since
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust
Morbid Angel - Domination
Caravan - If i could do it all over again, id do it all over you
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
America - Hideaway

Nice idea, opeth_evan!

Here's my list. Most albums are hated or ignored here in forum but are my favourit albums ever...

Metallica - Load
Rush - Power Windows, Caress of Steel, Grace Under Pressure
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
Yes - Drama, Tormato, Yes, Time and a Word, ABWH
David Bowie - Scary Mosters, Lets Dance
Dream Theater - When the Day and Dream Unite
Judas Priest - Sin after Sin
Manes - Vilosophe
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Sepultura - Roots & Against
Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
Al Dimeola - first 3 albums (noone talked ever in forum about him)
Camel - Rain Dances
Queensryche - Empire

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Placebo - Sleeping with ghosts
Neil Young - Greendale
Love - Forever Changes
Paradise Lost - One Second
REM - Document
Richard Thompson - Old Kit Bag

NineFeetUnderground said:
Rush - Power Windows
Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night
Borknagar - Self Titled
Yes - Going For The One
In Flames - Reroute To Remain
Joni Mitchell - Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Unicorn - Ever Since
Deep Purple - Stormbringer
Morbid Angel - Domination
Caravan - If i could do it all over again, id do it all over you
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
America - Hideaway

Hey,
there are at least 3 albums that I like a lot in that list. :)

Unicorn - Ever Since

Good to see another Unicorn fan.
Unicorn fans are most welcome in the Dan Swanö forum btw.

opeth_evan said:
Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill - My favorite Pantera album.. not really anyone elses.

Everyone tells its their worst. I´d agree with you, THE GREAT SOUTHERN TRENDKILL is the best PAntera album. Probably he took the most drugs during this time lol. Its the most brutal and haggard album of them. Definitely.

Get out your torches :D

I hate nu-metal with a passion, but in the realm of things dont consider this release to be all that attached to that genre.

Believe it or not, I like elements of Deftones' self-titled. A few songs are total shit (typical jump-core) but I like some of the atmosphere and synths and whatnot. Also, could be nostalgia, as I had a interesting summer of 2003, which is when it came out.

This next one is a mixed bag, love it or hate it. Emperor's Prometheus. An incredible album that has not been touched. Anyone have info on Ihsahn's solo work? Heard rumors a while back and then nothing since.

Damn, I'm going to get REALLY flamed for this...

Saves The Day- Stay What You Are
Weezer- Blue Album
My Dying Bride- The Angel and the Dark River
Dimmu Borgir- Death Cult Armageddon or Darkness Enthroned Triumphant
Katatonia- Viva Emptiness

Children of bodom - hatecrew deathroll (alot of metallers of my kind loathe it)
Katatonia - dance of december souls...uh, people may say they like it but I seriously see no one talk about this record ever, not even on that forum. It's all about "brave murder day." This cd was highly original for the time.
Lamb of god - as the palaces burn (no metaller of my kind can admit this album's greatness!) "rip off of sweden"...oh ok and but you like Divine souls?
Kreator - Violent Revolution and Enemy of God...people hate these because they aren't pure old school thrash...but even though they aren't completely..the songs are composed well and the melody is awesome as hell.
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos - I don't know man...the first 3 albums are classics, but this CD has some amazing songs. More simple direction? Yes, but I LOVE the keyboards and the choruses. If, anything I see more people praise the older albums or the two newest...this one is just left in the middle with nothing.
Dark Tranquillity - Projector...this imo was a very bold, powerful record. I love it when bands go a different direction and do it well.
Megadeth - Youthanasia...I think some people just overlook this album. Clearly, this melodic beast destroys Countdown to Exstinktion all over the place.
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast...the rest of the black metal I like is pretty old school, raw, true or grim whatever you want to call it. Stuff like abigor, arckanum, burzum, taake etc....but this album I think has some fantastic moments. Superior melodies. Track 3 actually has one of the best openers I've ever heard in my life.
Marduk - Dark Endless/Those of the Unlight/Fuck me Jesus demo....Pre 1995 Marduk rules...new Marduk is boring, sucky, and uninspired and Legion is overrated. Who wins? I do.
Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation...um, don't see people talk about this one too much. I think this is the best Steve Tucker album. Yeah, it was the first Morbid Angel I bought, back when it was just released but still the songs, production, drumming, arrangements are just godly to me.
Judas Priest - Ram it Down...same, I think this is a very classic Priest album. I just want to bang my head into infinity when I listen to this...except when the song "Love you to death" comes on.
Shadows Fall - The War Within...HAHA, yeah..a guilty pleasure, it's got some metalcore moments, but I think the songs, solos, melodies, alot of the riffs are well written. I'm a fan of all their previous records. beautiful