Top Ten Albums That Inspired/Touched You

Crimson Death

El Basilisco
Jan 24, 2002
Israel
Hey what's yours?
I would be glad to see reasons next to each album, share the knowledge, expirience with the board...

My list in no praticular order:

1. Opeth - Morningrise (Back in 96 I was listening to nothing in praticular, just metal, this girl worked in the record store, I asked for something new she played that to me I was really dazzled by the music and the atmosphere, one of my faves in all time)

2. Sentenced - Amok (Same as above)

3. Amorphis - Elegy (Same as above)

4. Katatonia - For Funerals To Come (One of the first metal albums I really really liked, as a coincidence when my grandfather passed away I was listening to the song "Funeral Wedding" when my mother told me)

5. Orphaned Land - Sahara (Israely Death Metal, Should I say more?)

6. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

7. Dan Swan:eek: - Moontower

8. Diabolical Masquerade (All the albums without discrimination)

9. The Embraced - In My Dreams (I am armageddon)

10. Mythotin - King Of The Distant Forest

well i think it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to make such a list cause i listen to sucj a big variety of music and there are so many albums that i completely am addicted to...and so manyy bands...but i'll definitely include these in my list: all albums of opeth, anathema, katatonia, dream theater, tool, in flames, tiamat, malmsteen, dammit thats already more than 10...:)

Katatonia - LFDGD (+ the songs of the EPs for this album)
Katatonia - Tonights Decision

The music i listen to when i need to cry, when i need to feel my emotions so that i may pass them. When i want to cry out my pains instead of locking them up inside.

--------

Opeth - Orchid

The album i listen to relax and be interested and become lost while never falling too permanently deep into my emotions.

------

Opeth - Mayh

the album that makes me smile and scream and sing the most, this just affects me in such a broad way, all emotions.

-------

Opeth - Still Life

my first opeth album. The first time i saw how music was supposed to be. Id spent years playing around with riffs and ideas and never seeing how to make albums of them... and then come opeth and i feel i knew them before i found them, they were what id always been looking for.

--------

Radiohead - OK Computer

Hmm, beautiful. Interesting. Simple structures. SImilar experience to Katatonia but more itneresting/varied.. less depressive.

----------

David Caswell - (untitled and incomplete as yet)

Well of course my own music affects me, if it didnt i wouldnt be writing it. Each previous song inspires me to achieve more in the next. They show me what i can achieve. They show me what i have achieved already.

----------

Steve Vai - Passion & Warfare

This inspires me to be the best i can be at guitar. It shows me you can always be better. It shows me how to use guitar techniques to enhance music, rather than to show off (although the album also includes show off parts). It shows me what originailty is.

------------

thats enough

Metallica - ...And justice for all
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Sepultura - Arise
Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy
Opeth - Still Life
Death - The Sound Of Perseverance
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to The Flesh
Martyr - Warp Zone
The Tea Party - Splendor Solis
Cynic - Focus

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Metallica - ...and justice for All
4. Deep Purple - Best Of
5. Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
6. Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness triumphant
7. Blind Guardian - Somewhere far beyond
8. Dan Ar Braz - Islands of Memory
9. Summoning - Minas Morgul
10. In Flames - Colony

1. Kiss-Alive II. I got this lp from Columbia House when I was 12. The graphics, the music, the screaming crowd, the fire, the makeup, WOW!! I knew I loved rock and I was going to be a musician and a music fanatic.
  2. Rush-Permanent Waves. My first Rush lp and my introduction to progressive rock/metal. Rush have inspired me to become a guitarist and bassist also. My all time favorite band.
  3. Deep Purple-Made in Japan. Made me need to play guitar. I wanted to be a guitar god like Ritchie.
  4. Van Halen-I. I spent countless hours trying to learn Eruption.
  5. Megadeth-Peace Sells but Who's Buying. Introduced me to the world of extreme(for the time) metal.
  6. Iron Maiden-Killers. Loved the imagery, the artwork, and the music. NWOBHM starts here.
  7. Micheal Schenker Group-MSG. Ufo and MSG was the soundtrack to my high school years. Such a sometimes powerful sometimes beautiful always melodic and awesome guitarist,
  8. Nevermore-the Politics of Ecstacy. After being totally disappointed with Metallica's Load and Megadeth's Youthanasia I found out about this band through Popoff's Heavy Metal guide.
    I am a metalhead again!
  9. Opeth-My Arms Your Hearse. My introduction to REAL extreme metal. It was love at first listen. Evewntually led to my discovery of Emperor, Death, In Flames, Arch Enemy and many other band that are my favorites right now.
  10. Anathema-Judgement. Absolutely beautiful and transcendent work of aret! Helped me discover the many faces of metal, and that music does not have to be hard in order to be extremely powerful.
    [/list=1]

Thanks for your attention, I put a lot of thought into this.

In no particular order..

Opeth - Orchid - I attach this album to my time in Halifax. I discovered a lot about myself (good and bad) and I think it's somewhat representative of that.

Opeth - Morningrise - My old driving CD. Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell were amazing to cruise to.

Opeth - MAYH - My first Opeth album, taught me a lot about music and I learned to appreciate things I wouldn't have prior.

Opeth - Still Life - This album was summer 2000

Tool - Ænima - Had this for years, and some songs have some pretty deep memories associated with them. Notably, Pushit, Third Eye..

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms - Along with Still life, this is summer 2000. Good album to be depressed to.

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine - These songs never die.

NIN - The Downward Spiral - The album that got me into music of a heavy nature. I still remember listening to A Warm Place and watching the leaves blow one autumn

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - memories of a number of people, me and my gf's song is the title track (we were long distance for a while)

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion I and II - I still love these albums, and they always remind me of my best friend.

Hey, that was actually 10.. wicked :)

additionally.. NIN - Broken, Closer to God single, Further down the Spiral single.. AND...

The Crow soundtrack
Hackers soundtrack
Conan the Barbarian soundtrack
Frontline Assembly - Millenium

Ok, here we go....

Ulver - "Kveldssanger", because it introduced me to the band and made me love folk music

In The Woods - "Omnio", because it's so full of feelings that totally takes you away from everything else

Arcturus - "La Masquerade Infernale", because brilliance has a name...Arcturus

Anathema - "Eternity", because it's the perfect soundtrack for autumn

Dream Theater - "Images And Words", because progressive metal can become emotional

Psychotic Waltz - "Bleeding", because sometimes insanity is beautiful

Tool - "Aenima", because i discovered Tool through this album

W.A.S.P. - "The Crimson Idol", because it made me like classic heavy metal again

My Dying Bride - "The Angel And The Dark River", because "Two Winters Only" is the song for when I got the blues

Fates Warning - "A Pleasant Shade Of Grey", because every time I listen to this album I feel it completely describes my emotions

These are not necessarily my favorite albums, but are a few that really move me when I listen to them...

devin townsend, ocean machine, infinity, physicist, terria
metallica master of puppets
fear factory, demanufacture
u2, the joshua tree
syl, city
pantera, far beyond driven

Moonspell - all
Radiohead - The Bends/OK Computer/Kid A
Anathema - Judgement
Autumn Tears - Winter and the Broken Angel
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
Björk - Vespertine
In the Woods... - Strange in Stereo
Judith - Play of Light
Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing/Black Market Music
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here/The Wall

Originally posted by Claire's Horror

are you kidding? I find Radiohead to be way more melancholic than Katatonia, just not as direct.

you're right they are not as direct as katatonia, but no way...katatonia is the most depressive band out there...

Kveldssanger- there was no better way to describe arcturus...

crimson death - definitely check out tea party.

Opeth-Morningrise
Opeth-Still Life
Dream Theater-Images&Words
Dream Theater-Awake
Anathema-Judgement
Tiamat-Wildhoney
My Dying Bride-Like Gods of the Sun
Katatonia-Brave,Murder,Day
Death-The Sound of Perseverance
Dark Tranquillity-The Gallery

these are just the first that come to mind:

Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Pink Floyd - The Wall, Animals
Neurosis - Times of Grace, Through Silver In Blood
Tool - Ænima
Anathema - Judgement
Opeth - Morningrise, Still Life
The Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight

1) My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans. This album completely echoed my thoughts/feelings at the exact time I discovered this record (& My Dying Bride). I really felt that this album "spoke for me", as well as introduced me to an entire new genre of music. The songs "Snow in My Hand" & "Crown of Sympathy", are to this day, 2 of may favorites ever!

2) In the Woods - Omnio. Much like "Swans" above, "Omnio" also completely painted a picture of where I stood both emotionally & philosophically in late summer '97 when I first heard it. I tend to listen to this record when I'm either somewhat depressed as it lifts my spirirts, or when I'm feeling "naturalistic" - it really transports me "into the woods".

3) Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell. I fell in love with this album back in '84, when I was but 12 years old. The images of Dio's lyrics in "Children of the Sea" & the title track matched well with my 'religious' beliefs at that young age.

4) Tiamat - A Deeper Kind of Slumber. Also in '97, I stumbled upon this absolute masterpiece. The last 4 songs of the cd still give me goose-bumps. 1997 was a very transitional year for me.

5) Katatonia - Tonight's Decision. This great cd was the soundtrack to a breakup I was experiencing with an ex-girlfriend. "Stained" & "Black Session" still remind me immensely of her.

6) Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy. Great memories come rushing back of my early college years with this great "summer time" album. It was a happy time. And I had only recently discovered Led Zep!!

7) Pearl Jam - Ten. One of the best rock albums ever recorded. And one of the most emotional. "Oceans" will forever remind me of the autumn of '92.

8) Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time. 1986 was a crappy year. I was in the midst of my sophomore year at a prestigious all-boys high school in NY & it was a very lonely time. Iron Maiden was one of the things that brought me through it. The opening notes of "Caught Somewhere..." remind me of the long bus rides home from that school.

9) the Gathering - How to Measure a Planet. This album was purchased & absorbed during a time of both highs & lows for me. Each song fits into either one (or both - 'Travel') of these. Anneke's voice is like silk.

10) Sting - The Soul Cages. Great lyrics, great music, great vocals. Sting has always created fantastic music - highly emotional music. This classis helped guide me through another relationship break-up that I experienced.

Metallica- The Black Album
This album was what got me into metal, enough said.

Opeth- MAYH
My Introduction to Opeth, again, enough said :D

Blackend IV- Black Metal Compilation
My introduction to black metal, forever changed my entire view on music!

Emperor- IX Equilibrium
My first full album introduction to black metal, amazing.

Opeth- Blackwater park
This album reminds me of some of the most depressing and most amazing points of my life, extremely nostalgic. Sometimes very hard to listen to because of the emotional effect.

Katatonia- LFDGD
A connection with a certain someone comes from this album, giving it an even more depressing atmosphere. VERY HARD to listen to.

Emperor- In the Nightside Eclipse
Havn't listened to this album since a depressing drunk escapade.

Satyricon- The Shadowthrone
I listened to this on a gloomy cloudy day while walking through the woods, an amazing experience.

Dimmu Borgir- For All Tid
Reminds me of my stay in Germany, hard to explain the touchiness behind this.

Opeth- Morningrise
To Bid You Farewell...........

no order really

Katatonia- Teargas EP
Smashing Pumpkins- Melanchollie and The Infinite Sadness
Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane
Anathema- Serenades & Pentacost
Autumn Tears- Love Poems For Dying Children
MDB- As The Flower Withers & The Angel and The Dark River
Paradise Lost- Lost Paradise
Satyricon- The Shadow Throne
Tiamat- Wildhoney & Clouds