"One song album" Recommendations?

The classic ´Tubular Bells´ by Mike Oldfield. Two 25min instrumentals.

'cause progressive music is based on concept.

The only concept behind being progressive is being a clone of gentle giant and genesis.

@Longinus : I have both those PoS albums

@ Judge: I'm working on trying to hear Sleep

@Harvest: I have Thick as a Brick, and Snow Goose, I'll try the Yes album

@Seth: nope never heard anything from Fates Warning, I'll have to check em out.

@Don: I've been posting in the 70s prog thread all along :lol: and I have one Gentle Giant album, sounds cool

@Eemu: haven't heard that, sounds very cool

Fates Warning is incredible.

for a lighter rock experience, try Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever. its 4 songs, but tied together themes and each is at least 15-20min

Longinus said:
'cause progressive music is based on concept.

The only concept behind being progressive is being a clone of gentle giant and genesis.

says who? someone who recommends pain of salvation and says dream theater sucks? :erk: thanks, i'll stick to my own opinions until i come across another clever one.

prog is a vast scene and there're so many talented bands with great originality...and it's strange many of them appeared around the SAME TIME gentle giant and genesis did.

deliverance:

yeah of course i know. i've seen you on that thread. it's just that i wanted to point out gentle giant albums are perfect concept albums.

Well, I don't know about you but I take a nice song about oral sex over a 10 minutes song of mindless wanking by 5 old people, Don.

Besides, prog music means in the vein of GG and such. Opeth isn't even prog, actually.
It is, however, progressive music. ;)

the mars volta's "de-loused in the comatorium" is really best taken in one sitting; a lot of the songs overlap and blend together and it tells a story start to finish...seriously, i cannot get enough of that album. can't wait til "frances the mute" comes out, oh man am i excited, a new opeth album and a new mars volta album within a few months of each other...

Longinus said:
Well, I saw a pattern.
The pattern is as follows:

a hardcore opeth fan is a hardcore Pain of Salvation fan

taking this into consideration, check out Pos' Be (they all flow into each other) and The perfect element.

Dream Theater sucks by the way.

kthxbye

I've actually never heard Pain of Salvation.. ANd i wouldn't say dream theater sucks, i would just say they're selectively listenable (any band with James Labrie like vocals would be this way for me).

Longinus said:
Well, I don't know about you but I take a nice song about oral sex over a 10 minutes song of mindless wanking by 5 old people, Don.

Besides, prog music means in the vein of GG and such. Opeth isn't even prog, actually.
It is, however, progressive music. ;)

mindless wanking?

king crimson, wishbone ash, camel, shadowfax, goblin...

are these bands wanking mindlessly according to you? you've got to be kidding.

but never mind

deliverance said:
@Seth: nope never heard anything from Fates Warning, I'll have to check em out.

Hard to predict what someone will think of FW, but not a stretch if you like Opeth that you would like them. It's straight prog, of course no death or black mixed in. Much better than DT IMO, still can't figure out why they don't have the same success.

"A Pleasant Shade of Gray" is a somber, not very heavy album...but is one of my favorite of the genre. Flows beautifully beginning to end... :headbang:

Seth

Silent Song said:
Fates Warning is incredible.
ahh. i forgot about a pleasant shade of gray. awesome album.
mark zonder is amazing. if i could pick any drummer to play on my album, i would chose him.

Longinus said:
Uhm, you do know that I was talking about PoS and DT. Not about the older bands.
*sigh* im so tired of band-bashing. the bottom line is this: dream theater are on stage wanking away, making a living playing music, and you're typing away on an internet forum.
i'm not trying to start an argument. this is just something i've realized about myself. making fun of JP while watching his DVD, i realized that...well, im watching *him* on a DVD, not the other way around.
band bashing is immature.