on the lookout for new music...

I know it's not what you're looking for from your description, but if you're willing to try something new, I highly suggest Eluvium's piano only album of An Accidental Memory in Case of Death. A friend of mind was gracious enough to sit at his computer and send me the entire disc, and it was worth it. It is a simply amazing album.

There's another thread like this with some great suggestions (thanks to it, I found Novembre)

Hey man, I'm pretty loose with this. Piano is a key instrument in a lot of this stuff. I mean, I've heard a little of everything in my musical journeys, but not enough of the stuff that really gets me. Keep 'em coming. I'll definitely check out Eluvium.

By the way, Novembre is an amazing band!!

A Perfect Circle were good until they became a political party.

Since you've already heard 'The Mantle', you MUST hear 'Pale Folklore' (my favorite) and 'Ashes Against the Grain'. Great albums. I love Ulver's first two albums, 'Bergtatt' and 'Kveldssanger'. 'Nattens Madrigal' is very raw black metal. Not bad, though. The aforementioned Tenhi has some terrific stuff. Early Vintersorg is very foresty and mountainish. Moonsorrow is damned good. Turisas is pretty good. Early and late (not mid-period) Amorphis is very awesome folk metal. Thiestru's song 'Over Mount and Valley' is pretty sad and folksy. (Sorry, I'm promoting myself again.) And... I'll think of more later.

Good luck!

What are the titles of NB's last 2?
'N Crugu Bradului and Om. Om is without a doubt the better album.. So, get that one immediately. It really is a fucking genius album.

You might enjoy my bandmate's side project.. He written quite a lot of stuff for the band now.. But not released any of it as of yet. The band's called 'Taliesin', and they're on myspace. The myspace only has one vaguely recent track, and even that's just a rough demo.. So don't judge it purely by the myspace. Just keep an eye on it.. Trust me, i've heard the stuff.. And i can safely say.. The 2nd EP is actually a classic in the making - shame he hasn't got a sample of it up on the site ><

Here's the influences:

Influences Negura Bunget
Drudkh
Neurosis
Primordial
Opeth
Isis
Agalloch

http://www.myspace.com/taliesinuk

Ahaha, then i recommended searching for 'Spice' and it's variants. Spice Silver is weakest, Spice Gold is strong but mongy, Spice Diamond is (i found) strongest.. But more of a head high.

However, you'll have to search for it via american sites. It's a legal alternative, and yes.. It does work. I'm telling you that.

But yeh, it's not identical, not quite as good as the real stuff.. But treat is as a seperate drug and you'll no doubt have a fun time. It is great at increasing music appreciation.

^Ya, as 353 said, 'N Crugu Bradului and Om and essential. And brace yourself for their next which is apparently due sometime this year. If it's better than Om then we are in for an incredible masterpiece. 'n is fairly perfect, Om pretty much is perfect, if they raise the bar...my god :)

Then i'd advise you immediately order Om.

Om + cannabis + xbox 360 visualisations = holy mother fucking shit fuck.

Also, Om was released in a version that includes a DVD with some live stuff as well as some nature scenery that complements the music. It was discontinued for a while but is apparently now available again. I just ordered the CD/DVD version from theomegaorder.com last week. Highly recommended.

I've had salvia before. The first few times I wasn't doing it right or something - the most I got was some tingling. Then, the last time when it DID work... holy shit. And it lasted more like 30 minutes for me, not 5.

I've never heard of 'spice' before. What is it, exactly?

And, just so that I'm not totally off-topic, I also recommend Otyg (Vintersorg's old band) and Finntroll. The latter have an album that's pretty much 'acoustic' (except for tons of keyboards), and it's VERY trollish and foresty.

^Tenhi are fantastic. Can't wait for their next. I've been spinning Kauan heaps recently, forgot how good it was, before that every time I wanted a Tenhi fix I played another album.

Some new bands I've found (some relevant, some not):

Alcest- Neige's new album(Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde) is so hard to describe for me, but it's definitely one of the best listens I've had in awhile.
Ayreon- If you are interested in a rock opera featuring none other than Mikael Akerfeldt, try the Human Equation. Great album.
Eluvium- I know I've mentioned them, but I have new addiction to post rock/ambient music thanks to Matthew Cooper. My first two albums were Copia and as I mentioned before, An Accidental Memory in Case of Death. And if you like them, try........
Hammock- I haven't heard lots of this band yet, but still, amazing stuff. May I suggest Raising Your Voice... Trying to Stop an Echo
Insomnium- They're one of those bands that once you hear them, you feel obliged to tell everyone them because they're simply amazing. I guess you can somehow compare them to Opeth, but I'm not sure about that. Try Under the Weeping World.
ISIS- Fairly good stuff, I don't quite know how to classify them, but good none the less. Try Red Sea or Panopticon.
Muse- If you're interested in something different, they have a thread all about them on the board. I highly suggest them for a change.
Pelican- Get City of Echoes. I can't guarantee anything, but this album blew my mind. Great instrumental act.
Porcupine Tree- Another band I suggest to everyone. In my mind, Steven Wilson is one of the best musical minds out there today. Not the best, but one of. In Absentia is one of my favorite albums of all time along with Lightbulb Sun. For some different style music, I suggest The Sky Moves Sideways.
The Sword- Psychedelic thrash/whatever metal stuff. I'm not sure you'd like them based on past recommendations, but I've been listening to them quite frequently lately.

That's enough from me for awhile. Hopefully that was helpful, likely it wasn't but so be it.