Bands that employ both, acoustic and electric guitars

pyr0rrzzz

but still so precious...
Dec 18, 2006
Germany
Does anybody know some other bands besides Opeth and Agalloch that also extensively use acoustic guitars? :kickass:

Ulver's debut album Bergtatt features beautiful and seamless integrations of crushing electric and melodic acoustic. And if you're really into the folky acoustic stuff, definitely check out their album Kveldssanger.

^^ Not bad, although I was rather thinking of some "forest stuff". But their logo is kind of disturbing.
2h37d41.jpg

^ Yeah, I already know those albums and they're great :)

Insomnium, espeically on their second album Since The Day It All Came Down.

Woods Of Ypres, especially on their debut full album Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth.

Subterranean Masquerade, check out their EP Temporary Psychotic State.

Orphaned Land use them a lot too, but also a lot of other shit as well.

Insomnium, espeically on their second album Since The Day It All Came Down.

Woods Of Ypres, especially on their debut full album Pursuit Of The Sun & Allure Of The Earth.

Subterranean Masquerade, check out their EP Temporary Psychotic State.

Orphaned Land use them a lot too, but also a lot of other shit as well.

I just listened to the title track from that Insomium album you mentioned here, and I am really looking forward to hearing more from this band. Discovering new music makes my day.

The Morningside

Cathis Ord

Ikunien Kaamos

Alley [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVEKiKStWg&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Foo Fighters! not very gothic or metal, or dark for that matter, but Skin & Bones remains the best live DVD/CD.

Ulver's Bergtatt and Kveldssanger, as others have already said ^ ^

Uaral - Chilean band with doom and folk influences

Dornenreich - German band, they're dark folk, melodic black metal, or ambient rock depending on which album you're listening to. Try the album Bitter Ist's Dem Tod Zu Dienen for the most Opethy stuff. I recommend track 5 (which has a very long german title I can't remember : P)

Empyrium - Again, a blend of doom and folk. Their last 2 albums leave out almost all the metal elements (with just the occasional blackened vocals), but those are the albums I would recommend. If you like Agalloch, you'll like them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, hope it's useful : )

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as metal goes (noting what Arasmas said but considering you wanted metal), what everyone else has said, primarily Bergtatt, plus any album by Mournful Congregation if you like funeral doom. That Cathis Ord band was pretty cool from what I heard on their myspace but I really have no idea how to obtain their stuff if you didn't order their demo when that guy posted it.

That song by the Morningside posted above @ 1:29 reminds me of KATATONIA a LOT... 'Brave' to be more specific. Or is it 'Murder'? I can't remember.

@Illnath:
Didn't know Cathis Ord and Alley yet, will check them out.

@Hemlok:
Exquisite mentions, I already have some of their albums :worship:
(But Dornenreich are from Austria :p )

Also, check out Ne Obliviscaris - while they've only released one EP, it's probably the most promising thing I've heard in years. The first 2 tracks are fucking mindblowingly amazing.