Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain review (5/5)

What they do does not warrent critique.
It's so simple yet so effective.

in mah opinionion.

edit: "best elements of Prog" What?
I just got through hearing Fripp's work on that Iona album. Agalloch comes nowhere close to that.
"Excellent musicianship"? I heard none of that. Just good music.
I give it a "good out of music". (lulz i guess)

Not perfect, but, what is? Walton's bass is more up front in the mix than in previous recordings, and that to me is a good thing. The guitar playing is always exceptional. Haughm's voice fits Agalloch's music just right. I like the Vargish screams in Our Fortress is Burning. The drumming, which has never been a strong point in Agalloch's music, has improved on this record. Song arrangements, as always are excellent. Agalloch, for me is a very unique band, in that they create a wonderful atmosphere. I really can lose myself in their musical world. I'd say their 3 for 3. with all their records. 9/10

The past few weeks have shown that Agalloch threads are trainwrecks waiting to happen so I'm curious how this one will end up.

I only just got it today and I'm listening to it for the first time now. But based on my opinion of their previous records and the stuff I've listened to it so far I'd say 4 or 4.5 stars. It remains a pleasant mix of post-rock and metal.

illidurit said:
it's more like a 3

. yeah thats what i was thinkin. guys, aatg has got a couple pretty weak songs, seriously.

its pretty weak if you look at it song by song

limbs: great for the first 3 minutes or so, then gets kinda sloppy and boring
falling snow: boring and repetetive
white mountain: non-song
fire/ice: solid song, some really good moments
waves: very solid, no complaints
fortress: nice setup for bloodbirds
bloodbirds: very well done
the grain: zzz

not worthy of 5/5 when less than half the songs are really good

Exactly. What's the point in a 5 point scale if you don't use one of the numbers? 5/5 doesn't have to be perfect, just really good.

It's probably a 9/10 for me now, might drop to an 8 after my giddiness over some parts passes. I think it's more consistent than the previous albums, and lacks any cringeworthy vocal passages (you know the one) or sloppy time and musicianship. That's been cleared up. On the other hand, it somewhat lacks the brilliant songs or breathtaking moments found on The Mantle and Pale Folklore.

Fire Above, Ice Below is the real winner. Not Unlike the Waves is also solid. The album is neither less nor more than what I expected.