Agalloch "Ashes Against the Grain"

I guess I forgot the obligatory IMO to to differentiate it from all the other things I post that are supposed to be across-the-board generalizations?

I mean, come on! I'm not so often dissapointed by the metal bands that I'm a fan of. AAtG really would be one of the biggest dissapointments I've experienced from a metal band other than maybe Metallica, Opeth, Hammers of Misfortune, Pentagram, hm I'm sure there are more... but eh. All of these bands have released at least one of my favourite metal albums followed by tepid, borderline-unlistenable garbage.

I don't accept or encourage mediocrity. An album is either awesome or it can FUCK OFF. I know I've heard this sentiment echoed by NAD (years ago) and Erik (recently I believe) and it really is right on the money.

You lie! The bonus track is the only good thing to do with this album.

Very similar? Maybe in terms of instrumentation, themes etc (not even, imo) but quality songwriting, feeling, passion, power, awesomeness etc... this lifeless, banal album doesn't belong anywhere NEAR the two masterpieces it followed.

The song writing in Bloodbirds; Fire Above, Ice Below; and Limbs are extremely similar to songs they've done in the past. The only difference is the approach, which you may or may not enjoy, but very similar structures. The power and awesomeness in Falling Snow and Not Unlike the Waves cannot be denied. Not Unlike the waves is powerful and emotion, while Falling Snow is a beautiful masterpiece with a more upbeat pace.

Anyways, if you just don't like their new approach, fair enough.

I don't know, Peters, sounds kind of dismssive to put it like that. Its great that you like it at all, but you can't really expect to be able to get inside my head and tell me that I don't like it because of X or Y reason. I'm not even gonna waste a second of effort trying to understand why people DO like it, I just think I'll leave it be and continue harping on how much it sucks every time I see it mentioned, because making people hate me is F-U-N!

It just seems so arbitrary to me. Listening to a track off of The Mantle and Ashes side by side, I cannot see a difference. I know you've listened to it because I've talked to you while listening, and you said you just felt bored while listening (I believe), so can you explain to me why you find it so boring and poor songwriting?

There is certainly a difference in atmosphere, but if the Canuk wants to deny the unruly awesomeness of Ashes that's his right. Be damned if he must explain himself to the bearded likes of homebrewing elitists like yourself. :p

I mentioned atmosphere and approach before, which I can understand for not liking an album.

Yes, and soon to be a bearded, home brewing judge and elitist. In other news, I drank the last of the Heathen Red, but the third version is about ready to be kegged.

I bet he thinks it sucks. Woodbox ftw btw.

To be honest, these arguments are none of my business. We put the stuff out as we see fit and people can take it or leave it. Some people love it, some people hate it and that is fine with us. At least you are feeling *something*...enough to warrant these constant arguments and sharply divided reviews online.

I will say that the next album will take on a whole new approch, particularly with the production. We're using some vintage gear, REAL tube amp tones again, some hand-built boutique pedals, I want to go back to using analog, etc, etc. Musically it will likely piss off the "Ashes" fans and maybe bring back the prog/folk people. Who knows though...we really cannot predict these reactions and, as I said, it really isn't any of our business anyway...

JH

Yeah, I really don't mean it to offend the band, I figured you might show up eventually! Other 2 albums are awesome, as is Of Stone Wind and Pillor... plus you put on an amazing live show, so I can forgive one album I don't like. Of course there is far worse out there, but when expectations aren't met the dissapointment is greater than if it were some upstart random band.

Feel free to win me back with the next album though :loco:

I will say that the next album will take on a whole new approch, particularly with the production. We're using some vintage gear, REAL tube amp tones again, some hand-built boutique pedals, I want to go back to using analog, etc, etc. Musically it will likely piss off the "Ashes" fans and maybe bring back the prog/folk people. Who knows though...we really cannot predict these reactions and, as I said, it really isn't any of our business anyway...JH

After reading this, I'm pretty damn interested in what Agalloch does next

Haha, I've tried time and time again to convince Matt that AATG isn't a bad album to no avail.

I loved Ashes Against the Grain when it first came out, start to finish. "Falling Snow", "Fire Above, Ice Below", and "Not Unlike The Waves" were all incredibly strong songs which vied for my favourite of the album. Since then however I have fallen away from the album. I can't find anything particularly wrong or uninteresting about it now, and I still enjoy the songs on an individual basis... but something about the album as a whole does not sit right. I find myself much rather listening to Pale Folklore or The Mantle, and so I do just that.

Anyways, I agree with Matt. Based on what you've said Haughm, I'm definitely looking forward to the new material now.