Agalloch ~ The Mantle

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
When I first spun this cd, I just sat there, kind of like, "Okay."

That is not necessarily a bad thing. I have many favorite cds in my collection which I didn't enjoy after a first or a few listenings. I have also enjoyed cds upon first listening (in absentia).

And so, I spun it again...and then again...waiting for the "hook" to come...and it has begun to happen.

And now, I can say that I still need to spin it some more (and I want to do so) to fully understand it, but as of now I really believe this cd is very good.

I am glad I purchased it.

Thanks changso for the recommendation.

...and the "hooks" keep coming.

Yeah, I went through the same thing with "The Mantle." It took awhile for me to truly grasp the album, but after awhile I began to love it. It's a great album, but takes time to grow on you.

it's a great album!!! one of the top albums of the year, to me at least. great atmosphere. really fits the mood and the music.

It was the same thing with me, I loved the acoustic songs and "great cold death..." from the start but those long peices realy took some time to grow on me. Anyways I think its a great album that gets better with time.

I actualyl can't remember what I thought of it on first few listens. probably one of those "this-is-going-to-be-as-good-as-everyone-says-and-as-good-as-I-think-It's-gonna-be-but-I-know-it-won't-hit-me-on-first-listen,-It'll-take-a-while" feelings.

I just want to listen to the mantle while there is snow on the ground and snow falling trudging through the deep snow, through the forest and then near the end it gets dark outside and we go into the cabin and sit by the fire when "A Desolation song" plays. ahh. perfect.

I thought it was a great album, but not until listening to it today did it finally click with me, and now its just incredible ...

At the 7:30 mark of The Hawthorne Passage...that segment beginning there is so fucking good...powerful, triumphant, it brings out so many emotions in me. This cd continues to astound me...

"...its barren yet somehow inviting..."

~ I think I understand what you mean. Upon my first few listenings, I thought, there is not much going on here, and it is basically an andante/largo overall. Yet, after listening to it again and again, it all comes together, in a symphonic sort of way.