Ah, stereotypes

I'm sure I never made any such claim, and I don't care what anyone thinks of my music. However, just because one is an elitist that doesn't mean that others are obligated to "get it."

I hate indie snobs who think that anybody who doesn't appreciate Deerhoof, has no taste. I hate the indie snobs that only listen to their music for the scene, or because "I will enjoy bands nobody else listens to, and that will be my identity!" Its annoying when metal people act the same. As I said, that's why I hesitate to 'name drop' bands, because then I'd start sounding like them.

I listen to many genres of music, and enjoy a bit on alternative radio. Metal just happens to be a passion for me.

Magius said:
I'm sure I never made any such claim, and I don't care what anyone thinks of my music. However, just because one is an elitist that doesn't mean that others are obligated to "get it."

I am not aiming that claim against anyone specific.
Though I have seen a few here consider the bands / people involved with Prog Power to be "elite" when compared to others.

Point being then, you shouldn't be all that concerned if others "get it" or not.

I rarely tell people I am into metal. If I do, it is usually like, "Oh so stuff like Pantera"?

It wouldn't be worth the effort to explain the zillion sub-genres of metal to somoene not familiar (Unless they were into something similar - IE, exposing a prog rocker to Prog-metal or power metal).

Jasonic said:
I am not aiming that claim against anyone specific.
Though I have seen a few here consider the bands / people involved with Prog Power to be "elite" when compared to others.

Point being then, you shouldn't be all that concerned if others "get it" or not.

I rarely tell people I am into metal. If I do, it is usually like, "Oh so stuff like Pantera"?

It wouldn't be worth the effort to explain the zillion sub-genres of metal to somoene not familiar (Unless they were into something similar - IE, exposing a prog rocker to Prog-metal or power metal).

I really don't see that describing the way people react to hearing of one's musical tastes translates into actually being concerned as to what that reaction may be.

Whether or not I explain genres etc. depends on whether someone expresses a genuine interest or not regardless of their own preferences. It's a thing called "Discussion."

Cheiron said:
As I said, that's why I hesitate to 'name drop' bands, because then I'd start sounding like them.

I get what you mean buddy....
My point was that there are those types of snobs in the metal scene as well.
(IE - black metallers who only listen to bands who release low quality tapes, limited to 666 of course!)

no one ever thinks I listen to metal because of the way I look...HA!!

All my coworkers were surprised when I showed the photos of PP from last year. Most responses were along the lines of "I can't picture you being at that show." Now they just make fun of me anytime I take a day off from work. "You going to see one of your weird Norwegian bands?"
I usually don't get comments on my t-shirts except for when someone knows the band(s) on it. Always fun to strike up a conversation and give each other recommendations.

I guess it's not that bad here where i work, even thought the average age is up there around 45. Most of the guys and gals working here, luckily have been to Europe and have hear "OUR" kind of music before so it's no big deal for them to issue a comment like " like hey that sounds like Helloween or Stratovarius". Plus also we have about 45 personnel assigned(mainly military liasons) here from countries like Norway, Germany, Holland, Greece, Israel, and some other countries, and most of them are big Progressive/Power metal fans so its not so bad.

Pyramaze51 said:
I guess it's not that bad here where i work, even thought the average age is up there around 45. Most of the guys and gals working here, luckily have been to Europe and have hear "OUR" kind of music before so it's no big deal for them to issue a comment like " like hey that sounds like Helloween or Stratovarius". Plus also we have about 45 personnel assigned(mainly military liasons) here from countries like Norway, Germany, Holland, Greece, Israel, and some other countries, and most of them are big Progressive/Power metal fans so its not so bad.

I doesn't sound like it! That's rare actually! :kickass:

edgeofthorns said:
I was wearing my ProgPower V shirt at the Coca Cola plant in Atlanta that year and one of the workers asked me if it was some heavy metal festival. I answered yes, so then she proceeded to tell me that I didn't look like I'd listen to that type of music.

I heard a similar comment just this week. A group of us have been meeting over lunch hour a couple of times a month to practice Spanish...and I was explaining to everyone when/why I was going to be out of town.

Anyone have a good smartass comeback? I used to just laugh these comments off, but I seem to be getting crankier in my old age. :)

I usually don't have issues with my music coming up in conversation. Most of my time is spent training (where everyone is into the more hardcore fast-paced metal) or in my workroom, where I'm always playing palatable elevator music.

My friends think it's so funny that I listen to metal it almost inevitably comes up at parties or whenever I meet new people. I love talking about it and strive always to break said stereotypes, so usually my first comment when I get the "REALLY?!" look is: "It's absolutely nothing like you'd think. I hate Korn and Disturbed as much as you do. I want you to imagine classically trained opera singers, full orchestras, ten minute long songs, varying time signatures all along to the amazing crunch of guitars." Considering how I look (which is "sweet," "naive," and "nothing like a metalhead"), I will oftentimes get people who are genuinely curious as to what I listen to. Sometimes I even successfully convert people - or atleast open their minds. After speaking so highly of the DragonForce show, a friend even inquired about coming to my next concert. I'm thinking the Pre-Party - what do you think?

Oh, and as for the workplace - when it's relatively empty, I've been known to play Mercenary, Nightwish, Kamelot, Pyramaze, Blind Guardian, and Ayreon. I even had several people comment that they liked "The Human Equation."