AILD Bass power tower gear +VID

shredder10

Replace that #@#|@#∞!!
May 19, 2010
Caracas
www.myspace.com

Well as you can see here,
It's a nice sort of clean and punchy bass tone.
I certainly would love to try this setup.

But i'm a bit lost about the way they're using that bass rack
2 Ampegs, 6505+, sansamp and bass sans amp, ?, TS???

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bass tone on that album sounds so bad ass. I would guess they are running the 6505 through a guitar cab for some added grind on top.

Certainly a good bass. What i love about how it ended up on the mix is that you can always hear that pleasant bass grind.
Would you use the 808 on the main DI or on a grit channel? I've always recorded it clean with a sans amp channel for dirt.
But i've never been that satisfied.

Joshua, have you tried blending DIs with a 6505 or a mesa?
I played some bass last night through my mesa dr, and it sounded usable, but haven't actually done it on my daw.

I had great result using maxon od808 through a ampeg head and ampeg 4x10 or 8x10 and Just a beta52a straight to the cone. But different bass player can make it sound totally different of course , so it's almost all about how good they play aká aggressive yet not to dynamic.

Hey dudes! I've always lurked this board for tips but when I saw this post I decided to join. There are actually 5 separate signals going at once here. Clean D.I. tone, Sansamp RBI, SVT Classic w/ Tube Screamer, SVT Classic set cleaner and really bright, and then the 6505 for the "Supergnarl" driven sound. Both SVTs were run through Aguilar DB410 bass cabs, and the 6505 through a Mesa Traditional guitar cab w/ vintage 30's. IMO, Bill gets better bass and drum tones than anyone I've ever heard.

Hey dudes! I've always lurked this board for tips but when I saw this post I decided to join. There are actually 5 separate signals going at once here. Clean D.I. tone, Sansamp RBI, SVT Classic w/ Tube Screamer, SVT Classic set cleaner and really bright, and then the 6505 for the "Supergnarl" driven sound. Both SVTs were run through Aguilar DB410 bass cabs, and the 6505 through a Mesa Traditional guitar cab w/ vintage 30's. IMO, Bill gets better bass and drum tones than anyone I've ever heard.

Wow :kickass::worship:
thanks a lot!!!

Do you have any info on the guitar sound? :worship:

How are you *or he* separating each sound? You must be using each select setup for a certain "area" of the tone rather than stacking 5 bass tracks together....also interested in the blend of the SVT + TS and the 6505, being two distorted tones. Unless the TS isn't actually being pushed too hard? and the 6505 is pretty much just a saturated noise blended in.

I have a habit of making simple questions sound long winded :D

There's really no "separating" of the tones. The clip you heard is absolutely dry going into PT (no eq, comp). The blend comes from the difference in volumes between the signals. Another major factor was deciding which phases to flip to get the best sound/not lose the low end....no exact science to that, kind of just comes down to taste. With that said, you heard the Sansamp and the brightly-set SVT standing out more in this clip.

Regarding the tube screamer vs. 6505...it was more of a warm, lightly driven sound, as opposed to a raging overdrive with the 6505.

I re-read your question and realized I didn't really answer the question completely.

The last thing I'll say about the blend is, every tone had a complete sounding signal. For example, there wasn't a channel with more sub low end, then one with no sub but tons of high end. They all could stand alone (minus maybe the 6505 since we were pushing through guitar speakers and had less low end), and weren't "carved" to fit together.