Akira Yamaoka -Silent Hill Soundtracks

Can you buy these soundtracks at a music store?

I very much doubt that. Your best bet would be Amazon.com or eBay (but watch out for bootlegs, don't trust Asian sellers).

No it wasn't a *lot* better, SH3 was filled with much more adrenaline and tension, a more intriguing storyline, better graphics, monster design and a more charismatic main character. I like SH2 a lot though...

SH3 was more polished than SH2 in almost every way, but I still don't think it was a better game. The graphics were a lot better (especially if you played it on the PC since the SH2 port was pretty much a direct PS2 port with the same ultra-shit washed out low resolution PS2 graphics whereas for SH3 they actually retained the high resolution textures especially for the PC version). And the voice acting was also definitely way better. That has been the weak point of both SH1 and 2 really, they both had poorly acted characters and really badly timed scripting which made the dialog come out very awkward.

But in terms of atmosphere, storyline and environments SH2 was way better in my opinion. SH3's story wasn't bad (the connection with SH1 was nice) but it was mostly pretty predictable. In SH2 there was much more of a "what the hell is going on" vibe as the story slowly unfolded until all the way at the end you figure out what actually happened. And the locations you visit were more diverse and atmospheric as well (SH3 didn't have enough foggy town sections).

I have played all the games, once you get used to the controls, it is very easy to use. I especially love the RE2, Code Veronica, and RE0, which all have great soundtracks... And I think RE has a much better concept and atmosphere imo, I have only played Silent Hill a few times but I was bored with it and thought it wasn't very scary...

I won't even go into how silly it is to compare RE to SH since they are completely different games set out to accomplish completely different goals (one is a primarily an action game with horror survival elements and the other is a psychological horror survival game). SH games aren't games that you can judge on "just playing them a few times". When I first played SH2 I was quite bored for the first two hours and didn't see what all the fuss was about. You have to play them properly (headphones, in the dark, and finish them all the way through) otherwise you might as well not play them at all. Which is the fundamental difference from RE, since RE are mostly action games. Especially the more recent ones. RE4 is one of the best games to come out in the past five years but it cannot be compared to the SH series in any real way. Other than "They're both really good".

But back on the topic of music, Resident Evil games have some good soundtracks but they are a lot more hit and miss than Akira Yamaoka's work.

Pre-4 Resident Evil games are terrible and the only reason they're scary is cause you think they're going to pull a jack-in-the-box trick on you. The voice acting is also absolutely hilarious. It's really bad in silent hill 1 and 2 also, but they're at least creepily stilted instead of LMAO MASTER OF LOCK-PICKING. Also, the opening cinema of resident evil 1 (director's cut, anyway, I haven't played the normal version) is absolutely positively the worst/funniest thing ever filmed. 4 is really good, but there is absolutely nothing scary about it, it's just a straight action game.

Silent Hill 1 is absolutely terrifying. By far the scariest game I've ever played. 2 isn't really scary at all, besides the part where you're in the prison and you can hear the gigantic monsters moving around on the level right above you...running down the halls there was :( 3 went back to being terrifying, I was constantly horrified by those stupid giant bunnies lying around and by the nightmare sound effects that would play every time you switched over to the nightmare world, etc. 3 is by far my favorite in the series gameplay-wise and graphically, but 1 is scarier and if you're only going to play one of them that should probably be it.

4 is terrible and should not be played by anyone. There isn't a single instance in the entire game where you're in the dark and can only see where you point your flashlight, which is what made the previous entries so scary and original. It's just a dismal game in all regards (besides those giant two-headed baby bird things are great), and I guess wasn't even supposed to be a silent hill game, they just attached the license to it when they realized no one would ever buy it otherwise.

The few themes I'd notice in the games were great, but for the most part I never noticed any besides the opening music. I'll have to download that soundtrack.

Well, SH1 and SH3 were definitely more terrifying, overall, than SH2. But to say SH2 wasn't completely scary is a bit false. Let's just say it was creepy. Plus, SH2 is famous for Pyramid Head - the single, freakiest nemesis to any video game I have played. In the apartment, where in the distance it is hazy darkness, I keep thinking he was going to pop up somewhere...I was freaked, and enyoying every bit of it. When you encounter him behind the gate as he's just waiting, staring at you...I mean damn, that's some creepy shit.

As for SH1's and SH2's dialogue, call me crazy, but I found the acting to be quite appealing. It gave it an eerie, awkward feeling that actually suit the game's atmosphere just fine. If anyone has seen the film ERASERHEAD by David Lynch, the same kinda thing can be found there. First thing that crossed my mind was, now I know where SH's influence came from (the game has many, MANY influences though.)

RE4 may be a better game than any of the SH games, but I'll still always prefer SH2 to that game just because to me SH2 isn't a game in the traditional sense. I'd go back to it like I would for any great movie. Because everything about it is just so great. The entire concept was cleverly put together and has some of the coolest, most interesting characters. ANd James...well, he's irreplaceable. BEST protaganist of the entire SH series, in my opinion. Some of his lines...absolutely classic....

" I guess I really don't care if it's dangerous or not. I'm going to town either way."

It wouldn't be as great if it had the perfect acting going for it....

SH3 was more polished than SH2 in almost every way, but I still don't think it was a better game. The graphics were a lot better (especially if you played it on the PC since the SH2 port was pretty much a direct PS2 port with the same ultra-shit washed out low resolution PS2 graphics whereas for SH3 they actually retained the high resolution textures especially for the PC version). And the voice acting was also definitely way better. That has been the weak point of both SH1 and 2 really, they both had poorly acted characters and really badly timed scripting which made the dialog come out very awkward.

But in terms of atmosphere, storyline and environments SH2 was way better in my opinion. SH3's story wasn't bad (the connection with SH1 was nice) but it was mostly pretty predictable. In SH2 there was much more of a "what the hell is going on" vibe as the story slowly unfolded until all the way at the end you figure out what actually happened. And the locations you visit were more diverse and atmospheric as well (SH3 didn't have enough foggy town sections).

SH2's ending was a bit disappointing...and the enemies aren't as menacing as on SH3, and the gameplay on SH3 was much more tense and action-packed, it was like trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel during the whole game. You wake up from a nightmare, then go to a hellish mall, then it leads you to a subway, that leads you to an abandoned factory, then you go to a fucked up commercial building...i mean, you have very little time to breathe during the journey, SH2 just isn't as intense. The scenarios of SH3 are much more claustrophobic, in some parts like in the hospital for example, you will notice that the walls are bleeding...brilliant game really. SH2 still is a fantastic game but just not as good as SH3. SH1 is awesome too and SH4 blew completely.

Good thread! I just ordered the 2nd and 4th soundtrack from Amazon. Thanks guys for the introduction!

NOOOOO!!! YOU FOOL!!!! IF YOU'D READ THE THREAD MORE CAREFULLY YOU'D KNOW THAT 4'S IS TERRIBLE AND 3'S IS GODLY! CANCEL THAT PART OF THE ORDER QUICK AND REPLACE IT WITH 3!

gg on 2 though

SH2's ending was a bit disappointing...and the enemies aren't as menacing as on SH3, and the gameplay on SH3 was much more tense and action-packed, it was like trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel during the whole game. You wake up from a nightmare, then go to a hellish mall, then it leads you to a subway, that leads you to an abandoned factory, then you go to a fucked up commercial building...i mean, you have very little time to breathe during the journey, SH2 just isn't as intense. The scenarios of SH3 are much more claustrophobic, in some parts like in the hospital for example, you will notice that the walls are bleeding...brilliant game really. SH2 still is a fantastic game but just not as good as SH3. SH1 is awesome too and SH4 blew completely.

2 lost that feeling 1 had where every time you switched into the nightmare world you felt absolutely terrified and were almost panicking trying to complete whatever you had to do there to get out. It felt more dreamily surreal than outright horrifying, and while it has a good atmosphere I don't think it's nearly as effective as 1's. 3 brought that feeling back in a big way, aided greatly by the horrible sound effects that would play whenever you were close to an enemy. And since 3 has by far the best voice acting, graphics and gameplay of the series I like it the most. The story's probably the best done of the 3, also (not that that's a huge achievement or anything - yes, 2 definitely had a terrible ending).

2 definitely had some really messed up stuff in it, though, like the child molester boss and pyramidhead the rapist.

NOOOOO!!! YOU FOOL!!!! IF YOU'D READ THE THREAD MORE CAREFULLY YOU'D KNOW THAT 4'S IS TERRIBLE AND 3'S IS GODLY! CANCEL THAT PART OF THE ORDER QUICK AND REPLACE IT WITH 3!

gg on 2 though
4 isn't terrible. Afaic, it's absolutely spectacular. It also has the best song in any Silent Hill: Room of Angels.

4 isn't terrible. Afaic, it's absolutely spectacular. It also has the best song in any Silent Hill: Room of Angels.

OHRLY, there was no good music in the game at all. I guess the soundtrack must be its own entity. I saw others saying it was lame in the thread too.

Nvm on the cancel immediately then, but you should get 3.

OHRLY, there was no good music in the game at all. I guess the soundtrack must be its own entity. I saw others saying it was lame in the thread too.

Nvm on the cancel immediately then, but you should get 3.
Yep, the soundtrack for 4 has its own entity.

Anyway, I would say every Silent Hill soundtracks are worth buying.

The SH4 soundtrack isn't lame, but it's the least memorable of all the available soundtracks. Still worth having though if you're a fan of the series.

Well, Sadguru is correct in the fact that Room of Angels is one of SH's best songs. That song is so hauntingly gorgeous it defies description, to be honest. The vocals are eerie and just downright beautiful. There are other nice tracks, but yes it's my least favourite overall as well. It's best to just download this song maybe, but being a fanatic, it's nice to own all the soundtracks.

Yeh.. I'm obsessed with Yamaoka. And i've been a sad cunt and watched some speed runs of the silent hill games.. Plus my mate has bought Silent Hill 2 for the PC.

The Axis Of Perdition are one of my favourite bands too.. And after watching the games being played, taking in all the sound effects and listening to akira yamaoka thoroughly.. You can see where they draw inspiration from.

Roll on SH5!