Albums currently kicking your ass

359995.jpg

2-elend-les-tenebres-du-dehors-1996.jpg

Unique to say the least.

their second best IMO (though way behind THE UMBERSUN). it's the absolute perfect soundtrack for the malazan books, i've listened and read them so frequently together that i can no longer hear it without disappearing back into that world, which automatically makes it one of my favourite albums even though objectively speaking it's kind of an unstructured mess.

their second best IMO (though way behind THE UMBERSUN). it's the absolute perfect soundtrack for the malazan books, i've listened and read them so frequently together that i can no longer hear it without disappearing back into that world, which automatically makes it one of my favourite albums even though objectively speaking it's kind of an unstructured mess.

Nah it's definitely their best album, and the best neo-classical album ever.

Nah it's definitely their best album, and the best neo-classical album ever.

well, i'm glad it has its fans, it has some truly gorgeous passages. THE UMBERSUN is clearly the deeper, more intense and more accomplished record though, and i think i'm in the majority in saying that. it's a lock for my top 10 of all time.

That's great to hear because I'm going to start the third Malazan book and it'll be nice to have something to rotate with Caladan Brood. Huge fan of their first three albums but haven't delved into their later less metal material.

aahhh i wish i could read MEMORIES OF ICE for the first time again (assuming this is your first time?). iirc you first see the character of caladan brood in that one, so that's fitting. this isn't really a spoiler but there's a scene coming to mind right now where he meets kruppe and it is awesome.

but yeah, that elend album has just the right sense of mythical grandeur, tragedy, melancholy etc... the emotions of the pair just perfectly complement one another for me.

btw i actually think SUNWAR THE DEAD might have more of a metal vibe than any of the early stuff. it doesn't have the same density and replay value, but it brings the galloping RIFFS, kinda. WINDS DEVOURING MEN is more laid back but really lovely in its own way. i didn't get into the last one (assuming they don't have another by now) which seemed more harsh and dissonant from what i remember.

Yeah it's my first go through. Caladan Brood was actually in the first book for a bit. I always assumed the later Elend albums were non metal. They don't have harsh vocals, right?