Albums currently kicking your ass

aahhh i wish i could read MEMORIES OF ICE for the first time again (assuming this is your first time?). iirc you first see the character of caladan brood in that one, so that's fitting. this isn't really a spoiler but there's a scene coming to mind right now where he meets kruppe and it is awesome.

but yeah, that elend album has just the right sense of mythical grandeur, tragedy, melancholy etc... the emotions of the pair just perfectly complement one another for me.

btw i actually think SUNWAR THE DEAD might have more of a metal vibe than any of the early stuff. it doesn't have the same density and replay value, but it brings the galloping RIFFS, kinda. WINDS DEVOURING MEN is more laid back but really lovely in its own way. i didn't get into the last one (assuming they don't have another by now) which seemed more harsh and dissonant from what i remember.

I just finished Memories of Ice a few months back. Fucking amazing. The audience is briefly introduced to Caladan Brood in like one scene in one chapter of Gardens but not much. That one scene in Memories where Caladan swings his hammer...I fucking lost it. And, of course, his whole deal with Burn and such.

Itkovian was my favorite from those books though.

macabre-sleep.jpeg

i like the high-energy, galloping death metal sound they have on this

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished Memories of Ice a few months back. Fucking amazing. The audience is briefly introduced to Caladan Brood in like one scene in one chapter of Gardens but not much. That one scene in Memories where Caladan swings his hammer...I fucking lost it. And, of course, his whole deal with Burn and such.

Itkovian was my favorite from those books though.

haha i used to lose it on a regular basis reading those books. it wasn't my favourite at first but the one that lingers with me the most nowadays is DEADHOUSE GATES. the felisin stuff and the mappo/icarium stuff and the chain of dogs... all completely devastating. i adore MIDNIGHT TIDES too, that one's amazing just as a self-contained story.

all time favourite character is probably karsa though. <3

After reading Memories, I like Deadhouse more. I found the landscape of Seven Cities far more fascinating than Genabackis. I also absolutely loved Duiker's accounts of the battles from afar. It gave the series a realistic strategy-heavy take on war. There was a part where the necromancers in Coltain's army did something that was just awesome. I also really enjoyed Icarium and Mappo as characters.

But fuck, every damn scene with Brood and Rake in Memories was also. That final battle scene and the reveal of Kallor and the K'Chain are just rad. Great, now I want to immediately start House of Chains.

Chaos Echoes - Transient

this album won't overwhelm you with kickass riffs but it creates a dark atmosphere that i like listening to whilst i read. the album fits with Scott Sigler's Infection trilogy that i'm currently reading.

9873-Chaos-Echoes-Transient.jpg