Albums currently kicking your ass

6993.jpg

This is so amazing I'm like whoa! And there are boobs on the cover!

i really enjoy the mid-'90s gothenburg sound in general, and it's actually primarily at the gates' fault that it went to shit. you can instantly date any of the more tasteful stuff as being prior to (or alongside) SLAUGHTER OF THE SOUL and THE GALLERY, it's a shame it didn't generally continue on after that even in the underground, 'twas just one of those flash in the pan crazes.
There's no way that you could lump in The Gallery and Slaughter of the Soul together.

Massive album, kind of a surprise really. I know sludge is far from a favorite here but this album is nasty... and fuck the album art is gorgeous.

album art.jpg

Unless they have drastically altered their sound, I can say without even hearing it that it's definitely not the album of the year. If it is then this year must have been dire for music. Meshuggah is trash.

In-crowd people don't appreciate rhythm. Total fucking dorks.

New Meshuggah is great, definitely does some new things for them, but a lot of people here won't recognize that because a couple of trend-setters here once criticized them for being too "negro". Was this the board that coined "lusty negro rhythms" or was that some other place? I just Googled the phrase and got no results, but I feel like that was definitely a thing here once.

Don't be so fucking skeptical and listen to it. I love the "I despise Meshuggah" bandwagon.

When I was in NYC walking to the Satan show from the train station last week, my friend and I ran into an 18 year old kid who was also going to the show. We were talking about countless death and doom metal bands, some of which we mentioned recently seeing at MDF, and then I ask him if he has heard the new Meshuggah. The look on his face showed me he was triggered, and he was like, "I dont like that stuff..." almost on a level as if I asked him about some emo pop-punk band or something. Disliking Meshuggah is ok in my book, but his response seemed a little disingenuous and try-hard to me.

@HamburgerBoy - Ive never heard of people describing Meshuggah that way. It almost reminds me why lots of metalheads hate wigger slam and metalcore breakdowns. Personally ive always viewed Meshuggah as sounding like a machine, and even though the new stuff does kind of have a tribal feel to it, I dont think "lusty negro rhythms" is an apt description. Animals as Leaders on the other hand... lol