Albums currently kicking your ass

41hrlPP615L._SS500.jpg

Mutilator. Primitive death thrash awesomeness.

It's entirely unsurprising that you don't even know the difference between death doom metal and gothic metal. I suppose it's understandable in light of the fact that many of the progenitors of death/doom drifted away from the genre later on. Even so, you are a user of rateyourmusic.com, where you can look at each and every album to see what genre(s) it's considered to fall under, so there's really no excuse.

Doom/death is one of the worst-tagged genres on RYM. Pretty much anything that is some form of extreme doom-y music gets labeled with that. Even the early bands flirted heavily with a goth-y sound.

Even the early bands flirted heavily with a goth-y sound.

This is a well-known fact - Paradise Lost did name their sophomore album Gothic after all - but how does that suggest that those bands sounded like Sisters of Mercy with downtuned guitars, with no metal riffs? It doesn't, because you're just talking out of your ass, as is your wont. That you would say such a daft thing shows that you haven't heard the aforementioned album by Paradise Lost, nor Dance of December Souls, Turn Loose the Swans, or Clouds.

a3099091594_10.jpg

Got this as a freebie in my last Hell's Headbangers order. Definitely a bit derivative of classic Swedish death metal but I'm pretty impressed with the general quality of riffs so far.

Reactions: The Butt and CiG
ungfell.jpg

Ungfell

This may be a sleeper for my favorite black metal album this year.

Vocals can be a little shaky at times but some really high energy black/punk/folk with the occasional drunk guy singing folk. Kind of a super folky Peste Noire thing going on.

Really hoping for a cd or vinyl release. Suppose this tape will do for now.

1702.jpg

I love this guitar tone. TOOH is the only other extreme metal band I can think of that does it quite like this, raw but light and chirpy, combined with all these sexy exotic Mediterranean-sounding melodies this is a beautiful album.

pagan altar.jpg

Got my cd and cassette in the mail Friday.
Easily and undoubtedly my album of the year. The final short acoustic piece nailed me right in the feels too.

Cascading leaves of gold and russet brown
Like my life's descending spiral floating down
The sylvan setting mirror in my soul
Passion only for the silver and gold

It seems like a thousand years
Since I let you go
In a world so full of greed I didn't know
But now I'm on death's door we'll be together
And I'll be with you then and after forever.