Albums currently kicking your ass

51vnKObKlLL._SS500.jpg

FatesWarning-PerfectSymmetry.jpg

Their best for me. Tons of variation, tight performance, great songwriting, etc. Probably my go-to recommendation album for this band for anyone unfamiliar.
Way back in 1989/1990, I might have said the same. It was my most-played album in 1990, but it seems that this is one of those albums which I considered one of my overall faves for two or three years, but hardly ever revisited again afterwards, whereas I've listened to "The Spectre Within" and - to a lesser extent - "Awaken the Guardian" on a more regular basis in the long run. I don't know if this has got something to do with what I'd call a warmer (guitar) sound on the latter two. Still I found "Perfect Symmetry" very enjoyable when I revisited it now for the ranking-game, especially some of the clearly audible bass lines and Mark Zonder's drumming. Therefore, I decided to put it at no. 3 in my list.

Way back in 1989/1990, I might have said the same. It was my most-played album in 1990, but it seems that this is one of those albums which I considered one of my overall faves for two or three years, but hardly ever revisited again afterwards, whereas I've listened to "The Spectre Within" and - to a lesser extent - "Awaken the Guardian" on a more regular basis in the long run. I don't know if this has got something to do with what I'd call a warmer (guitar) sound on the latter two. Still I found "Perfect Symmetry" very enjoyable when I revisited it now for the ranking-game, especially some of the clearly audible bass lines and Mark Zonder's drumming. Therefore, I decided to put it at no. 3 in my list.
I think it's the futuristic melancholy that the album conveys with its guitar tone is part of what makes it so special. That said, I can see how a warmer guitar tone would be preferable for you. Might help with relistening to an album.

I think it's the futuristic melancholy that the album conveys with its guitar tone is part of what makes it so special. That said, I can see how a warmer guitar tone would be preferable for you. Might help with relistening to an album.
Thinking about it, "Perfect Symmetry" sounds indeed more melancholic than "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken the Guardian" and this has (also) got to do with the guitar tone. It is a special album and it would definitely be among the albums I'd mention if I was asked to recommend some albums by Fates Warning. I gave it another spin today, but I'm not convinced (yet?) to switch the places of "Perfect Symmetry" and "Awaken the Guardian".