Albums currently kicking your ass

Correcting grammar is what you do when you just don't like someone and feel like being petty and asshole-ish to them.

Now playing: Ihsahn - Angl.

Fuck this is a good album.

6VZCa3n.jpg

f675fc6fcc070ad1b7f977a5fbeebe96_full.jpg

Awesome Polish prog-thrash with sadly poor recording quality. Anyone that doesn't mind demo-level production and loves Watchtower and (especially) 80's Mekong Delta should give it a shot.

The new Darkthrone is a little silly and fun as hell. If you can listen to it without getting "Leave no Cross, Leave no Cross Unturned!" Stuck in your head, you're a better man than me. The digibook even says fuck you to everyone that quit supporting them throughout the years and genre changes.

The idea that any band is 'supposed' to play a certain genre limits everything.

Yeah I'm sure if Asphyx released an ambient folk album you'd support it 100%. And we're all looking forward to hearing the harpsichord concertos from Murder Construct.

I hate hearing this shit. Look, musicians are free to do whatever the fuck they want, but at the same time a "band" is also a "brand". It'd be like if halfway through Game of Thrones they decided they wanted to do a sci-fi comedy because they got bored doing Medieval drama. Would ANYONE be on here saying "well the idea that they have to make a certain genre limits everything"? Of course not.

The fact is that when music is released under a given band name, we as listeners go to it because we like the sounds that band makes. When I fire up an album, regardless of if it's by Aborted or Rosetta or Omnium Gatherum, it's because that band makes a sound I like. If an album comes out that's nothing like what came before it, my reaction is going to be "the fuck is this shit" even if it's really good on its own merits, simply because that sound isn't what attracted me to the band.

Yeah I'm sure if Asphyx released an ambient folk album you'd support it 100%. And we're all looking forward to hearing the harpsichord concertos from Murder Construct.

I hate hearing this shit. Look, musicians are free to do whatever the fuck they want, but at the same time a "band" is also a "brand". It'd be like if halfway through Game of Thrones they decided they wanted to do a sci-fi comedy because they got bored doing Medieval drama. Would ANYONE be on here saying "well the idea that they have to make a certain genre limits everything"? Of course not.

The fact is that when music is released under a given band name, we as listeners go to it because we like the sounds that band makes. When I fire up an album, regardless of if it's by Aborted or Rosetta or Omnium Gatherum, it's because that band makes a sound I like. If an album comes out that's nothing like what came before it, my reaction is going to be "the fuck is this shit" even if it's really good on its own merits, simply because that sound isn't what attracted me to the band.

Let me put it this way, Darkthrone only sound good while playing black metal.

What bothers me is if Darkthrone had released transilvanian hunger part 15, no one would give a fuck about that either and just bitch that they were washed up and needed to stop. The band has been evolving since their debut as a death metal band.

What bothers me is if Darkthrone had released transilvanian hunger part 15, no one would give a fuck about that either and just bitch that they were washed up and needed to stop. The band has been evolving since their debut as a death metal band.

I haven't heard the new DT album, it might be kickass, but my point was that it's not unfair to balk at an album when it's way different from the band's usual sound. That's all. No matter how good that Morbid Angel album had been, I mean if they'd genuinely released a landmark electronic album, we'd have shit all over it just because Morbid Angel SHOULDN'T release an electronic album.

At the same time, if you find it exciting for a band to throw curveballs all the time, that's perfectly valid! I can't say "you shouldn't like that" either.