Albums of the Year: 2006

over 300 albums? put that in perspective - its like a new album EVERY day of the week (and some). i dont know where people find the time to listen to all these bands AND still listen to bands they claim are their favourites.

translation: im unemployed

also listening to an album once does not constitute listening to it properly, which was my point (given i didnt say that, but that was where i was going). finding the actual time to do it isnt that amazing ...

Yes, it is about a new album every day but as pointed out earlier, it isn't that hard to listen to that many albums over the course of a year. I have a job as well but I listen to music quite a bit more than most people. When it comes to music I am a very opinionated person, but I usually give an album at least 3 listens before I make a fair judgment - unless for an album thats terrible. Most albums I can tell if they are going to need more time or if I can tell it's one that will grow on me with more listens.

Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells
Negura Bunget - OM
Cloudscape - Crimson Skies
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
The Faceless - Akeldama
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion
Blut Aus Nord - MoRT
no specific order though I'd give Drudkh #1
I was dissapointed by the new Agalloch, the Drudkh folk album, the new Summoning

Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun
Frightmare - Bringing Back the Bloodshed
Wyrd - The Ghost Album
Forest of Fog - Abgrunde
Fear of Eternity - Spirit of Sorrow
Vesperian Sorrow - Regenesis Creation
Kataklysm - In the Arms of Devastation
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Vader - Impressions in Blood
Warbreed - So Cry Havoc (I know it's an EP, but oh well)
Benighted - Identisick
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals

I've seen Wolves in the Throne Room's new album on many lists this year...I'll be completely honest, I don't think the album is anything 'great' - except for the first song which I really like.

I thin it's quite a solid album, but this comes from an enormous Weakling fanboy. In a vaguely similar fashion, the Niroth self titled debut album also rules.

I just think there were tons of black metal albums released this year that were better than "Diadem of 12 Stars."

Lets hope 2007 will bring better music.

d.jpg

'nuf said

Dude, how is listening to one album twice a day (if your theory is true...IF!) contituent of unemployment. That's some really bizarro logic there. Anyway, I heard only like 120(?) or so. It wasn't that hard. I even have a girlfriend, job, school, moderation of this place (granted I was given that power recently), and a noise project to do. I am crazy!

it was a joke, not a theory i intended to publish.

i still dont understand how anyone could possibly find the time to listen to, nor could i see why anyone would want to listen to that much new music, assuming my time committments. but i did consider the case of the unemployed uni-student (polar opposite) and still find it hard to fathom. but w/e.

My tops:

Borknagar: Origin
Amon Amarth: With Oden On Our Side
Scar Symmetry: Pitch Black Progress
Katatonia: The Great Cold Distance
Agalloch: Ashes Against The Grain