Albums that start out magnificently, then trail off.

riot-narita.jpg

MajestikMøøse;5689549 said:
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty. Dip in on any song on the album, and you'll think it's pretty cool, but listen to the whole album at once, and you'll realize that it's just the same fucking song played nine times.

my version only has seven songs, which is probably why i feel the album is not as redundant as you feel it is

Megadeth - Peace Sells, But Who's Buying (So Far, So Good, So What is opposite, starts off weak, but ends up killer)

Sikth - Death of a Dead Day (4 amazing tracks followed by 8 mediocre ones)

Rush - Presto, Hold Your Fire (actually it may not be in order from great to bad, but I only like about 2 songs on each, and those ones are pretty damn great taken alone)

Therion - either Lemuria or Sirius B (can't keep 'em straight) - starts off great, but goes downhill fast

MajestikMøøse;5689549 said:
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty. Dip in on any song on the album, and you'll think it's pretty cool, but listen to the whole album at once, and you'll realize that it's just the same fucking song played nine times.

A very good example, I can only agree. The first track really has its moments, like the "THERE IS ONE THING ONLY WHICH NEVER DIES: THE HONOUR OF THY NAME!"-bit which usually has my head banging quite a bit. (damn, I hope that line is form the first track :lol: ). But I can't recall what any of the other tracks sound like

Another album that comes to mind is Ondskapt's "Dödens evangelium". The first track is very cool, with a powerful vocal delivery, a great refrain of sorts and it's generally a very well crated song. But then, righer after the frist track, it halts to a half-hearted simmer, and you soon conclude that the album has way too many tracks

Yeah, Vanadis is a pretty great song, but the album just completely loses momentum as it goes on. Probably has something to do with why I never picked up "Heralding...The Fireblade"

LOL - yeah, the early Riot album covers were goofy as hell, but the albums were great - showcasing the talent of unsung American vocalist Guy Speranza. I'm convinced that the band would've went on to great things had he stayed in the fold.

JayKeely said:
AMON AMARTH - Versus the World

First half >>>> second half

Nah, I'd say the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tracks are the weakest of the album (eg. For the Stabwounds in our Backs, Where Silent Gods Stand Guard,
Vs. the World ) :p

And also, And soon the World will cease to be is a behemoth of a track, you mean to say you don't enjoy that one?

I disagree with that last one...for me it starts out amazing, hits a bit of a lull in the middle, and finishes magnificently with the last two...Your Call captures the pain of receiving the worst case scenario regarding a loved one's health perfectly, and Operator brings to mind what the mass panic caused by a pandemic would be like.
As for the original question, I'd have to say Dreaming Neon Black...it doesn't actually end badly, but the last three don't stand up on their own as well as the rest. Not to mention it has the dreaded unnecessary silence at the end. I'd also have to say Verisakeet as the last track seems very inconsequential after the four epics that precede it.
Jim: Never thought that about Peace Sells...CTE (Ashes In Your Mouth excepted) and Youthanasia practically define front-loaded though...