albums that surprise you in quality

kollex

Autistic Superstar
Oct 16, 2002
somewhere
www.maxpages.com
Gore obessed by Cannnibal Corpse-for all the shit that people throw about this band, this a solid piece of brutal yet catchy death metal, which somehow is both techinical and straightfoward at the same time. when i saw this in a second hand record store (along with a Burzurm cd) my gut instinct told me to get it even though i was slightly weary of buying it.

DJ Shadow-entroducing-i thought this album would be a revealation and a step foward in electronica.It turned out to be a overhyped, directionless, tuneless, piece of audio toilet paper.

any other albums that have surprised you in quality either postively or Negatively?

In what kind of quality: musicianship, technicality, production, composition, lyrical, catchiness?

I mean there are a number of bands that impress me in each area, but ive yet to find one band that pulls them all together.

megadeth - TWNAH, people talked shit about this and said bla bla bla it blows, but i thought it was a beautifully constructed piece of metal that was a far cry from risk-like horse shit.

slayer - 90s albums - people just talk mad shit about these cds, but i happen to like them for the most part.

thats all i can think of

The production on Dark Tranquillity's cds "Haven" and "Damage Done" is superior to anything I've heard yet. The sound is just amazing. They're masterpieces and are a testament to production quality.

Same goes for the new Dimmu Borgir cd, Death Cult Armageddon, though not so much as Dark Tranquillity I think.

I'd agree with you on The World Needs a Hero. Return to Hanger was a nice touch and I really liked Dread and the Fugitive Mind. Animso-whats-it-ma-called, you know that Minsitry one. yeah it's no Psalm 69 but it does have it's moments.

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Arcane Sun - Arcane Sun

Both are great releases and have pretty much everything I would look for in a metal cd.

Nocturnus - The Key

I wasn't expecting much, especially from such an old-school cd, but it turned out to be 50x better than I expected. It's easily become one of my favorite albums.

Cave In - Jupiter, Antenna

I didn't think I'd like these at all, but I gave them a good listen and they are incredible.

Opeth - Still Life

When I bought it, I thought it was going to sound similar to My Arms Your Hearse, but I was blown away. The jazz influence and the dramatic interludes struck me. Fantastic songwriting.

Decapitated - Nihility

Just insane, immediately became my favourite death metal album. The riffs are so heavy, yet catchy.

In Flames - Whoracle

I thought it was gonna be some death metal bullshit. Instead I got finely crafted, catchy melodeath, with amazing guitarwork and a great mix of heavy and soft.

Mr. Bungle - s/t

I expected a technical, emotionless, chaotic, atonal piece of overhyped trash. I got a genre-bending, hilarious, and extremely well written and quite listenable work of art.

Ministry - Psalm 69

I expected a genre-bending masterpiece. I got an average industrial metal album that Fear Factory would eclipse in every way in three years.

Yeah, I think Hating Life is a great album myself, though I can see why many would shun it's simplistic, straightforward and stripped-down approach. Same kinda reason that people disowned Entombed for as well.