20 Very Cool Australian Metal Albums

oh btw Gore can u tell me what u know about Ambivalence? there a victorian band that did melodic death metal.

just thought i'd ask as the ex-bassist is a science teacher at my school :p

(i became really good mates with him too and use to jam with him every week)

Trent: The Angels recorded their live album at Bankstown RSL. I was there. It was awesome. The second Demont album was called "R.I.P.ped"

Terry: Ambivalence recorded a full-length album for Warhead Records, but it was never released. Shame because it was awesome. I have one of their songs... very Amorphis-like!

MetalMeshuggahMan said:
is Flowers that song thats like that Judas Priest song umm i think its called "Beyond The Realms of Death"? cause i saw them do that song flowers once i think.

it has a long arse solo like that one in the mentioned Priest song right?
There's no solos in that songs. They don't have much soloing, but that is the song you are thinking of. It's awesome.

Goreripper said:
Trent: The Angels recorded their live album at Bankstown RSL. I was there. It was awesome. The second Demont album was called "R.I.P.ped"

Terry: Ambivalence recorded a full-length album for Warhead Records, but it was never released. Shame because it was awesome. I have one of their songs... very Amorphis-like!
i HAVE that album burnt :p

haven't got the song listings though, just the album name.

and it is INDEED fucking awesome.

Now that I know that Segression supported Ozzy (thanks Timothy!), I can happily pronounce that they (in Brisbane, anyway), SUUUUUUUUUUCKED!

What a fucking poser that singer is - his ooh-I'm-evil-and-tuff posturing.

"If you see a child molester [what, they wear badges now?], KILLLLL HIIIIIIIM"

*ahem*

PS: I quite like Nasum.

Goreripper said:
Are they the best? That depends on your opinion. But here's a list of 20 cool Aussie metal albums you should check out if you haven't already.

AC/DC – Back in Black (Alberts, 1980)

Allegiance – D.e.s.t.i.t.u.t.i.o.n. (Id, 1994)

Dungeon – A Rise to Power (Metal Warriors 2002; LMP 2003)

Mortal Sin – Mayhemic Destruction (Mega Metal, 1987; Vertigo 1988)

4 out of 20 in my collection> i do have something from Destroyer 666 and Mortality but i can't remember what they are and they certainly don't get played very often
going to go home and get my vinyl Mortal Sin out and play tonight i think!!!!

In Thought and Tangled both rock. Agreed, if In Thought had the production and silvios voice from Tangled, it'd rock.
I prefer the Tangled melodies though.
What's wrong with the second half of Tangled? I think it's great!
oh and that crow song on in thought sucks!

btw, VP did a acoustic set on PBS the other week. mp3s are on the vanishing point site. Pretty cool to hear some of the stuff as "acoustic". Oh, new song as well. Sounds interesting....

Tangled rocks from start to finish. In Thought has some good parts but it is nowhere near as good as Tangled. Can't wait for 'A Life Less'

Goreripper said:
Are they the best? That depends on your opinion. But here's a list of 20 cool Aussie metal albums you should check out if you haven't already.

AC/DC ? Back in Black (Alberts, 1980)

Whether it can be called true metal or not, Back in Black is unquestionably one of the best albums of all time. Outrageously simple but undeniably effective, every track is an instant classic. Deservingly one of the top five selling albums in history.

Alchemist ? Organasm (Chatterbox, 2000)

Trying to pick the best Alchemist album is difficult because all of them are good. Organasm however was the culmination of all their previous work, heavy in all the right places, trippy in the others, with more focused songwriting and a more tightened musical direction; it pips Spiritech, but only just.

Astriaal ? Renascent Misanthropy (Blacktalon Media, 2003)

Astriaal blends violent but melodic black metal with inherently catchy riffing and a death metal sensibility on Renascent Misanthropy to create one of the very best metal albums of any kind to appear in 2003, and unarguably one of the greatest extreme releases this country has yet produced.

Avrigus ? The Secret Kingdom (Well of Urd, 2001)

Few Goth metal acts can match the pure brilliance and majesty of this Sydney two-piece entity?s 2001 full length album. Recorded on a computer over a series of years, this accompaniment to a rainy day?s sorrow is virtually flawless from the orchestral soundtrack-like music to the bell-like vocals of Judy Chiara.

Blood Duster ? Str8outtanorthcote (Dr Jims, 1997)

Grind and rock have never been blended so well as on Blood Duster?s first real full-length release. Resplendent with toilet humour, dumb sexism and cartoon violence, Str8outtanorthcote is also wall to wall with crushingly heavy and insanely catchy rock n roll riffage that?s a counterpoint to the undercurrent of spastic grind.

Damaged ? Do Not Spit (Black Hole, 1993)

As a statement in barely controlled violence and pure hatred, few albums have come close to Do Not Spit. The breathtaking drumming, the incredible tapestry of razor-sharp, lightning fast riffs and the utterly incomprehensible rage of Jaymi Ludbrooke?s vocal attack combines to make this album an unceasing and almost insurmountable slab of extreme noise terror.

Destroyer 666 ? Phoenix Rising (Seasons of Mist, 2000)

Somewhat more directed than the album before, but unflinchingly uncompromising as anything they?ve done. Phoenix Rising takes advantage of a better budget but doesn?t mess with Destroyer?s catchy, relentless war-metal thrashing.

Psycroptic ? The Scepter of the Ancients (Unique Leader, 2003)

Psycroptic?s first album was merely a foreshadowing of the incredible technical brutality they would unleash on the follow up. On The Scepter of the Ancients, the young Hobart lads carve out an unceasing and unmerciful display of dextrous brutal death metal reminiscent of Cryptopsy with better songs and more interesting vocals.

Segression ? L.I.A. (Oracle, 1996)

Wollongong?s Segression embraced the modern thrash style of Machine Head on their breakthrough debut release. Opening with the explosive violence of indisputable classic ?Cage of Nails?, L.I.A. is a caustic, abrasive and passionate volume of solid, aggressive thrash metal.

I own all them, worship me.

Nothing is wrong with Tangled's second half really, I love the whole album... but I just don't find it as consistent as In Thought coz there are a couple of tracks in the second half that I skip, whereas In Thought doesn't have anything I skip.