Albums you wish you could Re-Record / Re-Mix / Re-Master

Most of this thread has been "WTF?" for me :lol: Here's a few that pop in mind:

Morbid Angel - Heretic (The guitar tone is just :puke:)
Strapping Young Lad - Alien (sounds more like a rough demo :zombie:)
Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus ("double" tracking guitars using a delay does not compute in metal)
Rotten Sound - Cycles (RIP Mieszko, Rotten Sound will never sound as good as it did on Murderworks & Exit)
Stam1na - Uudet kymmenen käskyä (how can you go from the debut album sound to THIS in one year :erk:)

Nocturnus - Tresholds (That guitar sound is piercing)
Einherjer - Dragons of the North (unlistenable in the car)
Morbid Angel - Covenant (some more treble wouldn't hurt) ;)

Other than that I'd like to have some albums with just 2-3 db less limiting.
f.e Saybia - The second you sleep

Great topic btw!

Nope, unless you're implying we should all get jobs and punch in to work - in which case, my answer is I'm a member of the class of '09, "the lost generation" as all those sensationalized headlines are implying, so I'm working on it! :D

Nope, unless you're implying we should all get jobs and punch in to work - in which case, my answer is I'm a member of the class of '09, "the lost generation" as all those sensationalized headlines are implying, so I'm working on it! :D

It's an expression that we say, like You needa punch in mentally, not like literally get a job, just like , get the fuck in the game.

Like if someone you know is a hot mess and is being an idiot you just go up and say "YOU needa PUNCH in." Then walk away haha.

Have you heard the 2004 remixes they put on the Focus re-release? It's only been done to three songs out of the 8 but it is better overall. Although they couldn't do much with the weird rhythm guitar tone imo.

Yeah I did. I actually prefer the original mixes haha. That sense of space that the original mixes have isn't there in the re-mixed ones.

But still, curve-eq is a really motherfucking powerful tool. Imagine what some of the sneap boys could do to the raw tracks of Focus with the tools available to us nowadays!
Granted a bunch of people would just slate the drums out, but I'd love to hear what certain people with a respect for atmosphere and take the ideology of "the right mix for the music" rather than LETS USE SLATE SAMPLES ON EVERYTHIGN YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYAYAAYAYAAYAYYY!
Like seriously. Scott Burns if you're reading this, give ermz the raw tracks for fuck's sake!

Dude, Mark - Kamelot? Sure, the guitar tone is pretty weak since I guess Youngblood insists on using his solid-state VH140C for the tonez, but Karma is the earliest album of theirs I like, and I think the production on that is plenty good enough if not great, and IMO they only got better sound-wise with each subsequent album! (musically is another story, but I dunno, I thought Ghost Opera got a bit of a bad rap, I liked it!) Are you questioning the Sasa? :D

i really like kamelot but i dont like the production of their albums
(and almost every power metal album)
orchestras and synths sounds good (the new stuff not the early midi orchestras ) but bass , guitars and drums just dont sound right to me.
its not that it sounds BAD i just feel that it can sound much better.

Hmm, I dunno, I feel the drums punch like crazy on "The Black Halo" (especially that kick, the intro of "Somewhere in Time" ooh yeah :D), but to each his own! I guess the snare is a touch buried though, but I never really noticed up until now!

I would fucking love to hear Blind Guardian's first two albums, Batallions of Fear and Follow the Blind re-recorded. They were both remixed/remastered just a couple years back, but when I think about how fucking epic it would sound if they tracked everything again, especially the vocals. Don't get me wrong, they are both power/thrash classic great in their own right, but both were recorded before Hansi took vocal lessons. I want to hear Valhalla without Kai Hansen ruining it with his Professor Farnsworth vocals!

And for those of you not familiar with Gamma Ray, listen to this and you will see, he sounds just like Professor Farnsworth from Futurama :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahhaahaha, holy shit dude, good call on Farnsworth - that said, I can't imagine Kai Hansen sounding any other way; do you think his voice has changed that much these days? Or are you advocating re-recording with a different singer? I dunno, to me, that's taking it a bit too far, he did write the music after all!

EDIT: Oh wait, reading over again, I guess you were still talking about BG, and just gave the Gamma Ray example to illustrate Hansen's voice (I'm assuming "Valhalla" is an old BG song he contributed to, I'm not familiar with their early disco)

Valhalla is pretty much a regular ass PM song, but damn I love it. Hansen contributes some chipmunk vocals in the studio version.

Would love to hear it with slamming production! My band covers it live, I guess that's why Im attatched to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Helmet's Born Annoying and In The Meantime.
I'd love to hear Faith No More's The Real Thing with Angel Dust production.
Someone earlier said SYL's Alien and I totally agree.