Albums you wish you could Re-Record / Re-Mix / Re-Master

Chris_P_Critter

Freeze Tag Assassin
Apr 25, 2009
In a van down by the river.
Inspired by the Beatles Re-Issue thread, I was thinking: There are so many albums out there that have awesome music, but sound like shit by today's standard.

I think if I could Re-Record / Re-Mix / Re-Master any album, it would be (at least at this very moment that is ;)) Testament - Practice What You Preach.

If you don't have this CD, get it. Now.

The music is so awesome (my favorite song has to be Blessed in Contempt), production not so awesome. I still fucking love this album for what it is, and still definitely get into it, but I would love to hear this record re-recorded and up to todays spec. with more modern guitar and bass tones and more modern drum sounds.

I was old enough to buy this when it first came out, and back then, it sounded fucking amazing to me. In comparison to today's mixes though, I prefer a modern mix any day of the week.

:kickass:

I'd love to mix Lamb Of God's New American Gospel, not that it's the best album ever but the production on it is awful. It's a shame that the demos sound better than the finished product.

Dir en grey - Uroboros

They finally start writing the kind of songs I enjoy (ones with, like, some semblance of melody), but then go and bury the fucking vocals and drums. Listening to the album is like sitting next to the guitar amps during a rehearsal where the rest of the band is on the other side of an airplane hangar.

+1 on the early Evergrey albums

First Metallica albums
Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt
the song Mother north by Satyricon
every Kamelot , Epica and Rhapsody of fire CDs
some Vital Remains songs (especially Dechristianize and Icons of evil)
a LOT of Cannibal Corpse songs
probably a lot more cds but i dont remember right now

Dude, Mark - Kamelot? Sure, the guitar tone is pretty weak since I guess Youngblood insists on using his solid-state VH140C for the tonez, but Karma is the earliest album of theirs I like, and I think the production on that is plenty good enough if not great, and IMO they only got better sound-wise with each subsequent album! (musically is another story, but I dunno, I thought Ghost Opera got a bit of a bad rap, I liked it!) Are you questioning the Sasa? :D

Every Colin Richardson mix.

Stabbing Westward's 'Ungod' and 'Wither, Blister, Burn & Peel'

All Death albums.

In Flames up to Clayman (with Clayman production).

All Dark Tranquility albums.

Mors Principium Est - Liberation = Termination

actually I could probably sit here all day, so I'll quit while ahead...

to say youd want to re-record or re-mix symbolic or the sound of perseverance is pretty much heresy. those two albums especially have such a specific fucking atmosphere that's aided so fucking potently by the mix.

although anything before symbolic i would love to re-record, especially individual thought patterns, that is a fucking beast of an album but the production destroys it for me.

and i think the only album i truly would love to re-record, re-mix and re-master would be cynic - focus.
im sure we can all agree that despite the amazing atmosphere of that record, it sounds like scott burns took a shit on a plastic disk, smeared it around a little bit and sent it off to the label.

I wouldn't want to personally do it, but I'd like to see The Dead Walk remixed, album sounds bush league.
Suffo's early shit.

I think Mother North is badass as it is. Can't fuck with black metal.

All Death albums.

Yeah we could also replace Gene´s drum peformances and programming the drums :) Now seriously! ALL?? "Spiritual Healing" was a milestone at this time, when we talk about Death Metal. Clear and transparent sounding imo. All Death records has its own special atmosphere and sound.