Alehorn Of Power Review

Rycher

Oskee Wow Wow!
Jan 5, 2007
Northern Chicago Burbs
Despite the 30+ minute search for a parking spot, I made it to the Double Door last night to finally catch Novembers Doom after having gotten into the band since January.

The band that was playing when I got to the club had this crazy Maiden/Motorhead sound. Great riffs and lead guitar runs like Maiden, but the vocals were too Lemmy-like for my taste. Very cool sound and vibe through.

Up next was Novembers Doom, who tore through their set with precision and class. Each band member was in their element and tore it up, both musically and physically. I haven't seen that much hair flying since Evergrey opened for Iced Earth and Tom kept getting his hair wrapped around his guitar. Huge live sound, crushing riffs, and the band is a hell of a lot of fun to watch. The live DVD is going to kill.

I had a lot of fun up by the stage rocking out, despite being pegged a few times by the moshing dude. I think someone made this comparison before, but Larry totally looks like Cousin It while he's thrashing about and singing backups with a faceful of hair. Paul's vocals were spot on and it was cool to hear both of his styles throughout the night between the clean singing and the growls.

Here's the setlist, though one or two may be out of order:

The Pale Haunt Departure
Rain
The Novella Reservoir
Autumn Reflection
Silent Tomorrow
The Voice of Failure
Dark World Burden
Drown the Inland Mere

Highlights for me were Rain (my favorite track by the band) and the closing combo of DWB & Drown. Gee, can you guess how I like my Novembers Doom tunes to sound? :headbang: Also a perfect set since I'm more familiar with the last two records and only picked up TWTF a week ago.

Thanks to Paul and Larry for taking a few minutes out of the night to say hi and chase down a couple of shirts for me after the show. I can't wait to catch you guys again sometime, though I have to say - find a club with better parking! :lol:

Thanks for coming out, and writing this review! I apologize for not being more social last night, I got sick the day before and was resting as much as possible in our room. I'm glad you enjoyed the set!

Hey, no worries. Like I was telling Larry after the show - having seen a lot of local bands play in the clubs around here, I tend to respect the band members' space before the show since there's always pre-show preparations and setting up equipment, etc. and will usually come up to them afterwards for a few minutes.

I was just happy to get a chance to see the band play. :worship:

Turnout seemed alright. There were quite a few milling around when I got there, but the numbers dwindled as it got later. I'd guess that there were 100 people there tops, though I showed up at 11:30. Not sure how the attendance was earlier in the night. The band before ND looked like they had a decent crowd up by the stage, but I think some disappeared for our boys unfortunately. I didn't mind, because the ones up front seemed pretty into it, and it gave everyone some space.

Thats how it was last year. The main issue with the Alehorn fest is that it does start too late and there is zero advertising asides a poster at Metal Haven. People complain about shows not being well attended....that is what happens when there is no word of mouth. Plus I think shows in the summer are hard....people have more going on. I was looking forward to going but after an all day party sitting in the rain and then the sun and then the rain then the humidty....I was drained and didnt want to stand all night. Kind of bummed that I missed it. How was Slough Feg? I really wanted to see Crescent Shield too.

If that show had been all ages, it would've been a different story completely. I had at least a good two or three dozen inquiries through email from fans under 21 who wanted to come to the show, but then I had to tell them it wasn't all ages. I'm grateful that we got to do the show, and got to play Double Door again. But being 21 and over, and starting so late, does affect attendance and cause people to go home early. That being said, it seemed like for most of our set the crowd was still pretty decent. I know when I went upstairs to see Slough Feg about halfway through their set, I was disappointed to see how many people had left by then. Not as any slight against Slough Feg at all, but merely I'm sure because of the lateness of the show not to mention the extreme heat and humidity in that club being a bit much to take. I appreciate those who showed up and stuck it out for our set!

The same thing happened last year. The bulk of the crowd starting leaving when Slough Feg was playing. They were playing the second to last spot and Manilla Road were headlining. From all the cult status going on with both bands at the time on the net and so on, everyone thought that this show would be a big draw. I am glad that someone agree's that the over 21 late show stuff hurts attendence. I think this may work with the indie scene but lots of the metal crowd are under 21. The downfall of this is clubs thinking that metal isnt viable and not a draw and then book less metal acts. Not too sound like an old timer but the late night is what really turned me off. Not that I go to bed early but last year it took me over an hour and half of sititng on the El late at night....which is not fun...lots of drunks, bums and criminal element all hanging out. Plus now with the CTA construction....it is even worse with slow moving trains. Plus I dont want to pay over 20 bucks to cab it home. I really wanted to be there. I have been talking about it since it was announced but other stuff came up. I regret it now. It is rare to see so many great bands playing together. I wish they would have started the show at 6 or 7.

Not all that long ago, there was perhaps some creedence to the thought that a show like this wouldn't draw too many "kids". We went through a period where it seemed like most of our crowd was an older metalhead crowd, whereas the kids were going to see the nu-metal shows instead. But in the past few years, that's changed quite considerably, and I get emails and messages from fans in their teens pretty often. Metal, even the more underground sub-genres of metal, is pretty "in" now with the younger audience, and these clubs are fucking up by not taking more advantage of that. We were fortunate to be young when you had quite a few clubs around that catered heavily towards metal shows and allowed all ages crowds. That all but dried up in the mid to late 90s, and it's about time that things start to open up again I think. It's not uncommon to see teenage boys and girls walking out of Hot Topic today with an Emperor shirt or a Suffocation shirt on. And while the grumpy old "tr00" metalheads will bitch and moan about that, the bottom line is that those kids are the future and they're also quite happy to spend their allowances or whatever on tickets to a concert, because they still get excited about that shit.

here kids are allowed to drink starting from age 16, so they all get to come to shows. they can order beer themselves, but no hard liquor. they are talking now about raising the age to 18... i wonder what it will do for concerts. probably nothing since they probably just wont be allowed to buy beer themselves, they will still be allowed to enter the venue i guess.

btw this one hit the 1000 mark, hehe. am i now officially addicted? :p

It's very true about the Hot Topic kids being the future but those are the same kids who will be gone in a few years, they are the ones who will jump on the next "bandwagon" so to say, maybe a few will stay with it, but even that is rare. I agree that the younger kids are the ones going to shows and buying tickets and shirts. I wish more clubs would take advantage of the younger crowds, it is where the money is at. A show like the Alehorn, from last years show that I went too, more people were there to drink and stand near the back watching the show and talking it up with freinds. A small few were up front getting into the show itself. I guess there is no easy way. there will always be issues with shows and attendence. I still get very excited about shows. I spend a percentage of my interent time looking for upcoming tours and such. Music is a big part of my life....I average at least 2 or 3 CD's a week. Once in a while I will skip a week. I try to go to as many shows as I can. I am very picky though. I just wont go to any show just to be there...I have to like one of the bands. I think another issue is that promoters need to make the show worth going to. Having a decent headliner and packing on the local acts isnt an attractive thing for a show goer...I know I will probably get people upset with saying that, but on a promoters end it is a cheap way of getting people in and not having to pay the local acts much. But as a fan nothing is worse than sitting through 3 or 4 local acts to finally get to the main act to have them get cut short at the end due to the others playing to long....basically for thier freinds. My issue with local acts is that goes back to a thread started hear after Powerfest.....it is when they yuck it up with freinds on stage and joke around. Totally amatuerish. If a band goes up on stage and focuses on playing I will give them the benifit of the doubt more so than some hugh school guys joking with there 5 buddies in the crowd. While I would love to see more shows like Alehorn happen, but promoters need to make these shows all ages and promote more.

A few years back at the Haunted/Kataklysm show Jason and I met a bunch of high school kids who were into metal. They were next to us in line and they were talking to us about all the bands they are into and surprised that some of them just played Chicago and stuff. These kids were all gung ho about metal....I havent seen them in at any shows in the past year or so...looks like they got into some other stuff. I used to share email for a bit with one of the guys because he would ask about certain bands....I havent heard anything from him in a couple years. I think the ones who stay are the ones who really get into it and research new bands and try to look for stuff that they actually like and not just getting the flavor of the month.

A few years back at the Haunted/Kataklysm show Jason and I met a bunch of high school kids who were into metal. They were next to us in line and they were talking to us about all the bands they are into and surprised that some of them just played Chicago and stuff. These kids were all gung ho about metal....I havent seen them in at any shows in the past year or so...looks like they got into some other stuff. I used to share email for a bit with one of the guys because he would ask about certain bands....I havent heard anything from him in a couple years. I think the ones who stay are the ones who really get into it and research new bands and try to look for stuff that they actually like and not just getting the flavor of the month.
Ive met alot of kids who look for the next big thing like you explained. Majority of them are the metalcore kids who really have no grip on the metal scene at all. Scenesters I guess you would call em'. Thats how Ive gained alot of knowledge on lesser-known bands is by researching friends of the band and others recommendations. Actually the way I found Novembers Doom was on accident :lol: . At Lot 4 my buddies band was opening for them. Needless to say, I instantly fell in love. Glad to hear it was a good show guys and it sucks I missed it...guess Ill have to make the Mayhem show.

I understand those scenarios completely. But I can relate, because it wasn't any different twenty years ago when I was still in school. You had just as many fly-by-night teen fans who had moved onto other interests before they hit their Twenties even. It's not a new occurance. It still doesn't negate the necessity of appealing to the younger crowds and not just dismissing them completely by only booking 21 and over shows. I agree with much of what Diabolik has said.

I think it's cool putting on one local opener on a bill. And yknow, sometimes it's good even putting a younger upstart band on the bill because those bands often times can bring out a bunch of their h.s. or college friends and local fans who'll be excited to see them play on a national bill. But I disapprove of the whole thing where they get one national act and add five local bands to the bill so that they'll sell tickets and pay to play, which pays for the national band's fees, and also puts money in the promoter's pockets.

I understand those scenarios completely. But I can relate, because it wasn't any different twenty years ago when I was still in school. You had just as many fly-by-night teen fans who had moved onto other interests before they hit their Twenties even. It's not a new occurance. It still doesn't negate the necessity of appealing to the younger crowds and not just dismissing them completely by only booking 21 and over shows. I agree with much of what Diabolik has said.

I think it's cool putting on one local opener on a bill. And yknow, sometimes it's good even putting a younger upstart band on the bill because those bands often times can bring out a bunch of their h.s. or college friends and local fans who'll be excited to see them play on a national bill. But I disapprove of the whole thing where they get one national act and add five local bands to the bill so that they'll sell tickets and pay to play, which pays for the national band's fees, and also puts money in the promoter's pockets.

I dont mind if it one local act, but like I said...once it gets to like three local acts, it really ruins the show for me. back in my punk days at the Fireside Bowl they would have bands pulling up to the place asking if they could jump on the bill. Seriously I was at a show where two bands who were on tuor pulled up and was like can we play...we need money. They got added to the show and ended up bumping lots of time off of the headliners set.....the band that everyone who was there paid money to see. When Therion played House of Blues....they had this terrible ametuer act playing before them, it was almost embarrassing to watch. Stuff like that can ruin the live experience.

I was at the show and enjoyed it from start to finish. Bible of the Devil was the Maiden/Motorhead band the posters above were talking about and they tore the place down. Don't know how anybody into real metal could not get into them. Their drummer Greg helped book the show and seemed like a super nice guy when I talked to him. Really, November's Doom and Bible of the Devil WERE the local acts for this show...even the opener Valkyrie came from Virginia (and they were great,too).

Slough Feg did play too late. I came in from Rockford to see the show and by the time I got back, the sun was coming up. I can't hack that too often...

By the way, I will be reviewing the show at my website Wormwood Chronicles, complete with plenty of great pics!

Thanks to ND and all the bands for a REAL metal concert!:headbang:

Glad you enjoyed the show.

I don't think in the case of this show, that there really was any "opener" band or "local support" type of band. Every band on the bill was solid and reputable in their own right. That's a rarity to be honest with you, and the promoters did a good job with the bill, I'd say. We were treated very well by the promoters, the staff and the crowd, so we were definitely pleased.