Alehorn of Power 5 review

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
This years was the worst line up out of all five years for this fest ( really isnt a fest but a show where they get bands from all over to appear for a special night of music). The turnout was the best yet for it. A little over 150 - 180 maybe? hard to tell with the Double Door layout. The band from NY - Solace dropped out this week...thank God...they sucked and it would have made the night run later. The downside is that they had Zuul start before the advertised showtime. It was still a decent night.

Zuul - Zuul are a great band all around. Great on disc and live. It was great to see them up on a real stage with great sound. They are still more fun live in a smaller setting since they are more in your face live. They played older and newer stuff. Well...not really old but stuff from thier CD and some newer stuff on the newest EP. They played 30 minutes.

Buried At Sea - they reformed for this show. I guess they were some big thing in the Wocker Park hipster scene. Basically it was a bunch of skinney guys with beards playing the same riff over and over again. The singer who only sang very sporadically litterally sounded like he was a baby crying...."Whaa...Whaa...Whaa...Whaa...." It was the worst thing I have ever witnessed live before. The longest 35 minutes ever. People really were into it....then again 90% of the people there had beards and hats so that was there thing.

Bible of the Devil - I truely hate this band. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way. Sure they do a lot for metal in Chicago. They book the Alehorn and lots of other smaller shows. But this band sucks on so many levels. They did have a nice clear sound for once.

Nachtmystium - I am more of a live fan than the recorded stuff. They do know how to put on an intense live show. They flew through the 45 minutes in no time. Non-stop they had everyone into it up front. They had the guy from Buried at Sea doing keyboard / samples also live. Last time I saw them they did not have this.

Orange Goblin - This band is not my thing at all. I was going to leave after 1 or 2 songs. The stuff I heard online was dull. Live it is a whole different beast. I stayed for almost thier whole set. They were great live. The singer is one tall large guy who just gets the crowd into it. They did not waste thier time at all up on stage. It was odd to see who was getting into them...lots of college frat boy types were going nuts singing along. A few fights almost broke out. I loved the crackhead girl and her fat freind with the large boobs dancing like crazy by us for them. They put on a great live show. They sounded so different live than the stuff I heard on youtube. Nothing I would ever buy but if they were playing with another band I liked I would definetly stay to watch them again. Just wish it wasnt getting so damn late or else I would have watched thier last 6 songs.

As a whole the fest was decent. The only forum person who I saw there was Pat. Lots of the usual Red Line Tap crowd was there. I still thought this line up would have drawn more people out for it.

Zuul was great but I thought they were way better at the Red Line Tap show.

Buried at Sea was painful to watch and listen. It didn't seem very in line with a fest called Alehorn of Power.

Bible of the Devil sounded really tight and they kept the volume in check and was the best show of the 3-4 times I've seen them.

Nachtmystium was very good but super loud. I'd definitely go out to see them again. Special note that their drummer was awesome.

Orange Goblin put on a great show. Great front man. My favorite part was when he introduced a song being influenced by zombie movies. When the band started playing he acted like a zombie on stage and then proceeded to "eat the brains" of a few people standing up front.

Compared to the previous line ups I've read about this was one seemed weak. Overall a fun show.

the song was dedicated to over rated Italian horror director Lucio Fulci....he did stuff like New York Ripper, The Beyond, Cemetary of the living Dead, Cat in the Brain and many many others. I was cracking up when he was eating the brains of the people up front.